1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is cable tv dead, or should i say non-live tv?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Nov 2, 2017.

1. what

what Member

I dont mean cable vs streaming, or cord cutting.
    I cant remember the last time i watched a non-scripted cable show say on animal planet or the food channel or discovery.

If i see something on those channels like some new scientific discovery, ill just go on the internet and figure it out, without spending an hour of my time.

Watching these shows seems so remote and a waste of time. And most cable specialty channels really dont offer intersting original programming. Its all a kind of realiy programming. Shows like overdrive and orange county choppers, are so boring to me.

Im just wondering, if and when cable is going to go away, or up thsir game, because the crap they are showing isnt getting my attention.

Espn is about the only cable channel that i watch.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The internet is about to be on Durant’s level?

3. what

what Member

It already is

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

TV is the new radio and smartphones are the new TVs. The fact that you don't actually like any of the programming on TV is probably a testament to your general weirdness, but you are onto something.

5. what

what Member

Its pretty strange to me, but i now distinish between live vs not live. All the dyi stuff is really really tiring.
    The networks and hbo and others offer scripted shows which i watch sometimes. But to me the networks have come back with a vengeance.
    Netflix and Amazon prime offer new scripted shows.
    Cable and their dyi approach is dead.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Cable is pretty dead, only thing that saves it is the DVR, when I try live strolling for channels I can't seem to find anything I really want to watch, and I can't stand commercials. Recording the exact shows I want to watch, being able to both watch them whenever I feel like it and skipping the commercials is a much better experience.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The first thing I would do is stop watching ESPN

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Here is how they keep you from cutting cable:

Implement data caps on your internet services while excluding their own TV streaming services from adding to the cap.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

the internet has won more championships than durant, and didn't have to piggy back anyone either.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Cable isn't going anywhere, reality TV and news serves the same purpose now on basic cable that game shows and postwar-era reruns served on UHF stations pre-digital, dirt cheap with lots of hours of content to generate viewer affinity and accumulate minimal but consistent ad dollars.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not a cord cutter. And I still like linear TV. Most of the shows I watch those are DVRed. Time shifted in effect. I watch sports live. And I like the serendipity of channel surfing and finding movies and tuning in. "On Demand" is a nice feature. But I don't think I want to experience TV that is all "on demand." Sometimes I just like having choices decided for me and picking. It is an interesting psychology.

12. what

what Member

I just got hip to joanna gaines. She became a superstar on hgtv. I didnt even know who she was or the show fixer upper.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't have cable for almost 10 years in the 2000s and early 2010s, but I have the deluxe package and I couldn't be happier. Though most of the content is garbage.

There is something fun about channel surfing.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

People issues with cable are influenced 90% from the high COST of cable. If it cost just $30 for full deluxe package, most complaints would disappear. It'd be low investment and people would just shrug off the filler. Since cable is so pricey, everything gets more harsh scrutiny, like Ryan Anderson's value.

Costs aside, I don't care for "reality" shows, they've really lowered the bar of entertainment. And its encouraged rise of the online "vloggers" trying to get their face time. But people are still drawn to "motion pictures" over reading and text, video showing human emotions. So those DIY, information shows putting human faces to the theme will still draw viewers. Personality sells that way.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cable is dead.

Long live isps like cable.

16. Nigel Thornberry

@Pen15clubber said you have the smallest **** on CF. The fact that you’re Asian makes it believable. Yes?

17. what

what Member

Yes.

18. Nigel Thornberry

How small are we talking? 2 inch?

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

How do you know everyone's ethnicity

20. Nigel Thornberry

You told me bruh!