1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Birdman the best ceiling we can expect from Thomas Robinson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I dont know how you can judge his future so easily, dude hardly played any meaningful minutes for the Rockets. Jones,D-Mo & Smith have deservedly earned the minutes over him. But what he did show is a guy who is quick enough to guard 2 - 5, at worst, if he puts it together, he's Luol Deng.

He's also not chopped liver, he's either the project going forward, or a team is going to give alot for his athleticism and work ethic.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I say Josh Smith ceiling.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You have to be kidding me. Please elaborate on your comparison. Per 36, TRob doesn't even average 1 block.

4. oakdogg

Maybe the fact that he didn't earn any meaningful minutes when the PF position was wide open is exactly a basis on which to judge his future.

And dude, do you just mean Deng on defense? Cuz TRob is not anything like Deng on offense - so that's a pretty crazy basement to project for him.

5. Reach

Reach Member

It really isn't fair that the Heat can grab a double-double bigman on the vet min. Where was Morey on this?

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This. Don't forget Mario was an all-star, effective 3-point shooter and excellent FT shooter, excellent Antawn-Jamison floater in the paint, and a solid passer to boot in his prime, not to mention a shut-down wing defender. Robinson has a LONG way to go, but this is what he should strive to be.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think he can turn into Love or Dwight by as soon as next season :p

8. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

No, I don't think trob can miss 10 dunks in a row during the all star dunk contest.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I kinda see it ... both are undersized fours with crazy athleticism.

Of course Josh Smith is a multi-year vet so their games right now can't really be compared, but since we're talking about 'ceiling' we're talking about what Thomas Robinson could one day be, if he were to properly develop other aspects of his game.

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

[​IMG]

11. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

The two players are nothing alike.

Birdman is a legit 6'10" PF/C and a defensive demon in the paint.

Thomas Robinson is strictly a 6'8" PF in the mold of...

Well, can't think of a player in the league Thomas Robinson reminds me of, but can think of quite a few who didn't quite make it or whose NBA careers were short-lived.

12. oakdogg

Arguably, Josh Smith's greatest attribute is shot blocking. You don't just develop the ability to get 2.5 BPG. The dude can't even get 1 BPG per 36 right now. Get outta here!!!

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not outside the box. The box. His off-court issues kept him far off-court, in court.

I hope the guy stays straight. I do not compare TRob with him; I expect to see TRob earn a ring not gravy train into one.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey was saving roster spots for guys 25 and younger. No Birdman. No Kenyon Martin.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Birdman actually get minutes for a contending team. Robinson is the one on the gravy train, making money while earning no minutes.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha - you said "Birdman" and "ceiling".

17. Reach

Reach Member

Thomas Robinson is a lesser Dwight Howard.

18. CertifiedTroll

Guess TRob should get busted for Child p*rn, then he can be the bird

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Child please, it was a 17yr old girl who emailed him a picture, totally not his fault