1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Beverley really better than Lin on Defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 8, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who has been the better defender this season?

1. Beverly

30.0%
  2. Lin

70.0%
  1. rokit

rokit Member

I think Beverley is a better defender, but so far Lin outplayed him.
    Bev looks less aggressive this year, maybe playing starters minutes is affecting his style of defense? He might be trying to avoid the foul trouble or he might be looking to expend a little bit more energy on the offensive end.

2. trock

trock Member

This.

3. jackycool

jackycool Member

Lin is better at team defense and Beverley is better at man to man defense, but overall Beverley the better defender in my opinion. Lin's defense isn't terrible by any stretch but it's not his strength.

4. PatBeverleyFan

Well said!

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Bev was burned by Kemba and Nash. Not exactly helping the case that Bev is a better man-to-man defender.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think that Lin is actually slightly better at man to man defense, but much worse at team and transition defense, which is where Bev really excel.

7. cdblue10

cdblue10 Member

Basketball is a game where you shoot the ball to the hoop and if you made it, that's a score.Defense is a part of a game but you need to play both offense and defense to impact the game,guaranteed that you defended well against your opponent but your shooting miserably like 1-10 and been blown by by your opponent more than you defended and the other team score against you how would that be a good defense.I know you will argue this why was Rodman impact the game even if he was just defending,the thing w/ Rodman was he had Michael Jordan w/ him to score and he doesn't get scored at on every position,at the same time Rodman does not shoot so, most often than not he will give it to his team mates.The same thing approach as offense, if you scored like 30 points but you let your opponent scored against you by 32 how would you be an effective scorer?These are the reasons why Kobe on his prime,MJ,LBJ,DWAde on his prime are great players because they will play you both at the end of the court.

8. strifed169

strifed169 Member

[​IMG]

9. cdblue10

cdblue10 Member

If you're smart enough you will figure it out what I am trying to say!

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

Beverly has had the luxury of coming off the bench therefore expending all of his energy on defense for 15-20 minutes a game.

Where as Lin plays solid even above average defense. He's not a defensive liability as some people make him out to be. He doesnt get beat off the dribble, gets steals in bunches. All while pushing the tempo of the game, scoring and facilitating on offense.

Lin is the better player as a starter. Unfortunately, it's not a matter of Lin being a better player but more so Beverly just not being as good as Lin.

Rockets believe they have enough offense with the H&H Hombres to more than makeup for Beverly's inabilities.

I am not a LOF. I just care about this team winning.

11. joe101

joe101 Member

Bev is a better defender than he has been in the last few games, just like Lin is a better player than he had shown in the first half of last season. Both has/had to deal with natural recovery process after injury. Muscle injuries are minor compare to knee injuries, so I expect Bev to be a step quicker a few games from now. This comparison between the two is premature in my opinion.

12. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Turns out I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Though I can't say I disagree with "The same thing approach as offense, if you scored like 30 points but you let your opponent scored against you by 32 how would you be an effective scorer?"

(Assuming that was an intentional sentence and not just your cat running across the keyboard.)

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Where have you been? It's JLin, we have to fuss, or the Universe will implode!

14. TTNN

TTNN Member

I'm not sure whether you actually read the article or not, or just use the title of it to support your argument.

Synergy so far the as close as you can get in terms of defensive assessment. In this article, basically it says that as good as it is, synergy defensive PPP is not a complete assessment, and argument is that you only count the play that results in a play, but some defensive moves results in your guy could not get the ball is not tracked and counted.

That is a valid argument for other positions, but not apply to PG . Since the offense start from PG, thus as a defender, your guy would always has ball, thus synergy numbers are pretty much accurate for PG, thus in this Jeremy vs. Beverley argument.

You just pull out an article without even look into it, and use it as argument to say synergy number is not useful, that's pretty lazy defense, and misleading.

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

strange. someone claimed bev is known for defense but NBA doesn't have data. he must play on moon.

16. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

If the other PG wasn't Jeremy Lin he would be considered an energy guy and an average defender.

17. Sen89

Sen89 Member

You guys realize Beverley shouldn't even be playing, right?

He's playing hurt and is only active because he's a BAMF...and you guys are saying he's an inferior defender to Lin because of 2 injured games?

Clutchfans...

18. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Bev is garbage. Starting project over. I'm convinced and yes small sample size.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Bump!

20. Sen89

Sen89 Member

You guys are absolute idiots