1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Beverley an Out-of-control Hothead or a Calculating Defender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

Hugging Kobe after a tough loose is a good indication of his control

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think this is one of those Jalen is right about, Bev is always looking to get under people's skin, **** happens when he's around.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We don't hate Brooks, Landry, Scola, Hayes, KMart, Lowry, or even Dragic who went out and signed with a Western Conf rival. Beverley is a class guy, and if he leaves via free agency we won't hate him. Because he's not the kind of guy to sign his contract in a night club with Mark Cuban.

4. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

he's our vernon maxwell

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

People need to remember that Beverley is a Chicago point guard, and like the Philadelphia point guards (See Lowry), there is a certain fiestiness in their game. A certain "cockiness" or "swagger" in how they carry themself on the floor.

Beverely feeds on chippiness; I think that's how he has always played the game. I don't think he is dirty, but he won't back down and is more than willing to send a message if he has to.

Personally, I love that in point guards. I want a point guard that won't take crap from anyone else. Sometimes it can hurt a team (OKC game last year) but you live with it because that's how he plays and how we win games. If Beverely didn't play like he does, we lose some games, most recently that Suns game.

Off the court, he seems to be a down to Earth that still remembers his roots and where he came from. And at the end of the day, he is the heart and soul of this team. This Rockets team seems to have adopted his attitude.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I'm so scared for the first game in the Toyota centre when he isn't a rocket.

7. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Brass Knuckles Beverley is a key member of this team and a joy to watch!

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

We have a winner.

9. vator

vator Contributing Member

I still remember one of his very first games as a Rocket. The one where we nearly broke the 3 point record against the Golden State Warriors. He threw down a dunk and talked trash to the Warrior bench during a blow out. It wasn't a very classy move, but I remember not knowing what to think about this crazy looking new guy from overseas who ran around like a chicken with his head cut off and was acting like he had been on the team and in the NBA for years. He came in with swagger and a chip on his shoulder. It was very Vernon "Maxwellesque". Draymond Green later clothes lined him on a 3 point attempt and there was more trash talk. Good times. I think that is where our rivalry with GS was born.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YtVcklO2mec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#29 vator, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

They said the same thing about this guy...

[​IMG]

T_Man

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

In one of the recent games , I forgot which one, we were in a close game in the fourth quarter. It was clear that we were giving it our all and were quickly running out of gas. Beverley decided to start some **** and the resulting break the officials took to look at it gave us some nice extra rest. I dunno if it was intentional , but it was a tactically sound move for the price of a technical .

12. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Popovich has stated he doesn't watch game tape to prepare for opponents either. Would you say the (probably) greatest coach of our generation isn't "calculating"? The statement has more to do with the mindset of improving everything there is to improve in your own game instead of trying to adjust to everyone else's.

13. sergio

sergio Member

No team can win a championship without some toughness. We got use to being the good guys with players like Yao, Brooks for example. Players that would get bullied easily. We had Artest one season and made it to the second round. It's fun to root for the bad guys this time.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i dont think bev is out of control, i think its very much a deliberate persona he can turn on and off

i think thats a regular season thing, they don't adjust to opponents in the regular season at all, and it seems to have as much to do with not letting a team see what playoff scheme they might throw at them as focusing on self only.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bev knows what he's doing.

16. Zbed

Zbed Member

I don't think Beverley should tone down just because he might hurt someone....injuries happen and players shouldn't be playing conservative just because he might hurt somebody.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think that he's a f'ing maniac. And I'm glad that he's a Rocket.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think I had seen a change until the other game where he grabbed the opponents arm while they were both going for a rebound. That part was fairly normal though.

But after the play the guy pushed Beverley away from him. That was also normal and could be expected. What I thought was different was that Beverley shoved him back. I think that's where he went over the line and I don't think he did that much before.

Both players got a technical, but I wished Patrick hadn't done that. It's possible for players to play tough, gritty, be a pest and not back down, without doing crap like that.

Beverley is still my favorite player on the team though. I think he will be unless that kind of behavior becomes a pattern.

19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I remember loving the fact that Barkley was on our team, because I used to hate it when the Rockets played against him. The very same feeling I had when we acquired Ron Artest. Beverly is that guy you want on your team and hate playing against.

I particularly remember a game in San Antonio (I think in '97 or '98), when Barkley got under the skin of Pop. Pop was complaining to the ref, and Barkley kept putting his finger in front of his mouth, gesturing, "Shh.", with the grin behind it. Pop got so irate he got hit with his 2nd "tech" and got ejected. It was in that moment when I was just happy that he was on our team doing that to someone else rather than pulling that crap against us. Any other old timers in here remember that game? I think it was an NBC game.

With all that said, I've become a fan of not only the game of basketball during my life, but also all the drama associated with playing in the NBA.

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Beverley has changed his approach or is increasingly more out of control. I think it's just that he has been in the league a little while now and pretty much every team/player has had a chance to play against him now. So they all go into the games knowing what to expect (a guy up in your kitchen most of the game who is a constant pest). Because of that I think players are expecting to get pissed at him and are retaliating a little more readily when he DOES get under their skin. So because they elevate things, Beverley does as well.

I think what has changed is the other players.