1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is basketball not televised anymore?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fadeaway, Nov 3, 2002.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Football, baseball and hockey all have good TV coverage, but I have yet to see a televised basketball game this year. Hell, there are even two or three CFL games on each week, but no bball.

NBA on NBC seems to have mysteriously vanished. What happened? Where has basketball gone?

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

ESPN has had at least 4 games on this week, and I'm sure TNT had one or two themselves.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

NBA on NBA is no more...It's now NBA on ABC.

I'm not sure, but I think that came into effect this season.

Anyway, NBA on NBC doesn't start until Christmas Day, and then starts again sometime in late January-February.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There are tons of basketball games on TV this year.

5. fadeaway

:rolleyes:

No, there are not. There are only a few nationally televised games, and they are being shown on ESPN and TNT, neither of which I get.

Compared to the NFL, MLB and NHL, the NBA has piss poor national coverage.

I guess I'll have to be content with the two paltry Raptor games being shown on TSN this month. *sigh* :mad:

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You guys don't get ESPN, or TNT?

damn! I was going to say good NHL coverage? The only coverage of the NHL I get is Wednesday Night Hockey on ESPN and ESPN 2, and the Dallas Stars on Fox Sports SW.

And ABC doesnt show NHL games til after January.

7. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Fadeaway...i feel ya man.

I love hockey...but i'd much rather have a nice split (instead of all hockey, let b-ball have some air time).

I mean damn...can't sportsnet have hockey games and tsn basketball or somethin? I need a way to see more basketball! (without paying more ;)) oh well, at least i get the seattle stations that play some sonics games.

long live basketball (just not on tv in canada :()

8. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I've been able to see a good share of basketball already, in this early season. Like many have mentioned before, there have been some decent games on TNT and ESPN, it seems like every night this past week. I've also been able to get the Rox 2 outa 3 games, so I'm realy not displeased.

Since this is kind of on the same subject, I'm really not happy about the NFL coverage that we've been getting here in the Houston / Austin / San Antonio area. They rarely show any good games (highly anticipated matchups, rivals, etc.). They show a creampuff matchup b/w two nonplayoff contending teams. Every other game selected for this are is either the Cowboys or the Texans. I am a fan of each, but they're about as fun to watch as the Westminster dog show.

Just pretend I was talking about basketball!

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

fadeaway, just because you dont get ESPN or TNT doesnt mean that the NBA isnt televised. The NBA is more televised this year than ever before. Also, NBC always starts games in December, so nothing has changed in that department for this year.

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

ABC is showing WAYY fewer games than NBC was last year. I feel sad for the people that dont get cable.

http://www.nba.com/news/tv_contract_020122.html

AOL TIME WARNER
    TNT
    52 regular season games on an exclusive basis (with no games being televised nationally or locally that night except for one backup game); 48 of the games will air as part of Thursday night doubleheaders in primetime and two Opening Night games

Approximately 45 games in the first two rounds of the Playoffs

Conference Semi-finals and one Conference Finals series on an exclusive basis

NBA All-Star Game and NBA All-Star Saturday events

NEW NBA NETWORK
    96 regular season games

Expected two Playoff games

THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY
    ABC
    15 regular season Games of the Week on Sunday afternoons

Expected five Playoff games

NBA Finals in primetime beginning at 8:30 pm ET

NBA Inside Stuff Will air on Saturday mornings

ESPN
    75 regular season games with no local blackouts of ESPN game coverage (one game on Wednesday nights and a doubleheader on Friday nights in primetime)

Holiday telecasts, e.g. Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, President’s Day

Expected 22 games in the first two rounds of the Playoffs

One Conference Finals series on an exclusive basis

NBA Draft, Draft preview show and NBA Draft Lottery

After reading the part of TNT having EXCLUSIVE coverage of Thursday games except for one backup game that can be televised locally, I noticed that the Rockets are playing ALOT more games in Friday and Sunday. That was rare in previous years and I guess the reason for that is TNT. Damn Time Warner and AOL.

#10 Dave2000, Nov 4, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2002
  11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

in malaysia, we used to get three games a week.
    tuesday, thursday and friday games. with occasional double headers, usually at certain times of the year ie opening, christmas.

this season they nixed the tuesdays. no openers. ****ing assholes. you'd think with the hype surrounding yao ming they'd give another game or two.

12. fadeaway

Baloney. If the NBA is "more televised" then why can't I find a game? Last year, we'd get a couple of games on CTV, TBS and TheScore. Luckily, it seems as if TheScore is going to start airing a few games starting January, so it isn't a total loss.

It just riles me that national NBA coverage is limited to two specialty networks which aren't readily available outside the US. If basketball is such an "international" sport, then why isn't it being aired on more widely distributed networks? It's stupid.

If you look beyond November, there aren't even very many ESPN or TNT games.

I hope this isn't some idiotic ploy to get people to buy the special NBA channel.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What the heck is The Score?

14. fadeaway

TheScore is a sports channel that runs 24 hours showing the results and highlights for all the previous day's games. It covers everything from basketball to boxing to horse racing. Every now and then, they'll air a baseball or basketball game too. If it wasn't for TheScore, I wouldn't have seen the Draft. I love that network.

http://www.thescore.ca/

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OHHH...we call that ESPN News down in the States. :)

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There are games televised every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday on ESPN and TNT. Thursdays and Fridays (and some Wednesdays), 2 games are televised.

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

sounds like fair punishment for Terrence and Philip hey Fade!!!!!

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Between Foxsports, ESPN, WGN, and TNT there are 10 NBA games being televised that I can see here in Norman, Ok this week, maybe more. For me, that's way more than last year. Also, ABC's coverage starts on Dec, 25th just like NBC's always did.

Different places, different experiences I guess. Down here the NBA is getting much more exposure than usual.

19. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

I have been getting free preview of NBA League Pass since the season started. Don't know how long it will last, but I have seen a lot of games, good ones. I'll say I have seen about 10 games in the pass 3 days, pretty good, huh!!!

20. BALLhog 247 365

I dont really like any other games except for Rockets games. Your'e usually not enthusiastic about it,and that makes watching bball boring