1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else afraid?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Sep 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. haven

haven Member

I've heard a lot of anger. A lot of desire for retribution. I know we can't cave into terrorism.

But I'll be honest: I'm terrified. Boston's one of the top targets for terrorism (#2 according to the CIA, guess it wasn't), and my fiance works next to the largest building in Boston, the John Hancock building. She's going to work there tomorrow, and air traffic is anticipated to resume at 12pm Wednesday. I'm so worried about her.

BC is in the suburbs of Boston. But what if there's a different kind of attack? RM95 pointed out that the group may not have claimed responsibility because more is left. Or the plane might crash in the wrong place.

Maybe I'm just a coward. My fiance doesn't feel as frightend for herself or for me. But I'm very scared. I'm afraid of what happened and I'm afraid of it happening again. Despite the statistics, I'm afraid of boarding a plane again. Trains, I guess, for a while.

I'm confessing this because.... well, I guess there's comfort in numbers, and also because if anyone knows of any reassuring information, I'd appreciate it.

My one consolation for my fear is that I was horrified and sad before I was afraid.

2. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I'm with you. I'm frightened as all hell. I live too close to a big city not to be wigging out.

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Am I afraid? Not really, but most of y'all know I work in an oil refinery, and had to come to work tonight. Extra security at all gates, boats patrolling the ship channel, armed guards patrolling the grounds. My bag was checked coming in to the plant. All non essential personell sent home. I'm not afraid, but this place feels WEIRD!!!

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Of course, I think any sensible person would be shaken by this. I remember waking up after nightmares of nuclear war in the 80's, so this just brings back some un-fun memories.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm afraid. I live in DC. The one thing I've got going in my favor is that I live next to the embassy's. It's not even U.S. soil so I doubt they would target that area. However, about one half mile away from my place is where the Vice President Lives. oh my god!

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under my feet. Today, I'm not worried about relationship/girl problems, working out, finding a job. I'm worried about the security of our country.

7. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Sure I'm scared. I live in Seattle, very far away from all of that madness, but the reality has sunk in that this could be a war zone tomorrow! I don't want to jump off the deep end, but I'm very afraid of a full on WWIII.. To me this means one thing: Nuclear Holocaust...

8. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Yea one thing if you look throughout recent history the only real threat on American Soil as been the Cold War. Almost all of the wars that the US has faught in have been overseas and therefore we as citizens were never really in danger but this proves that a war could happen on american soil.

I am afraid for this nation but since I live in NC I am not to afraid that something will happen to me.

9. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Intellectually I'm afraid, but I live and work in the boondocks. I don't believe that we have a worthy target too very close and I have no travel plans...

However, I have a son about to become military eligible and I have a newborn expected in the next 2-3 weeks.

What does the future hold?

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I guarantee that my mother will never get on a plane again for the rest of her life. She was already afraid of flying. This will put her over the edge.

And I'm certainly a little scared, but it's hard to really gather my feelings tonight because I don't think the initial shock of this really having happened has worn off yet.

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

You've got every reason to be scared. I don't think anyone could ever imagine something like this would honestly happen, and it leaves everyone feeling very vulnerable.

Not to mention we still face so many unknowns...

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well I was shaken a little bit but Im not scared , Being a Christian the Bible clearly tells us of all the immense choas that will occur in the End Times . You know its coming you just hope you never see it . Maybe Im in denial .

13. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

My parents are scheduled to leave on a 10 day trip to Belgium, Austria, and Germany next Wednesday. I know my mom was really shook up about what happned today. No word yet as to whether they will still be going, or whether they should.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Afraid for the country, certainly. Personally, no, although I work ina government building and we all went home at noon as a precaution. This is one of the few times that it pays to live far away from a big city.

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Is this the end then?

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

scared for my life? no, not right now.

scared of more terrorism and a threat to my way of life? Certainly.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I'm not afraid per se, but I am shaken by the whole thing. One must wonder how this can all happen.

I guess it is time to ramp up the cold war Spy Ring and get it going full force in the Middle East.

DD

18. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

The only fear I feel is for the whole world because this could, scratch that, WILL have immense repercussions. :(

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I do not feel fear, but resolve. I also feel a stronger kinship with my fellow Americans.

I still fear what I feared before this event, and that is a terrorist with a nuke. God forbid.

Our prayers for all families effected.

20. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'm not particularly in fear for myself, but for others in the country, and for more attacks like this, I am fearful.

When I think about possible other targets connected to Houston, my instant thought is NASA. Just because our space program is another one of those "symbols" of American power.