1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Irony Department] Famous ClutchBBS thread revisited

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-2, Jun 3, 2007.

1. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

The irony. This poster was universally clowned. Myself included because of the timing of the post!

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=105160

a) we should have tanked a bit more to get Roy.
    b) in spite of the non-tank, Gibson was still easily attainable in the 2nd.

There's a life lesson here. Sometimes the inknowns are worth taking a chance on.

But instead of going with athletic potential, we decided to get a one-dimensional shooter in the 2nd round. Playing it too safe.

In spite of the non-tank, if we thought Roy could split time between SG/PG and the alleged trade rumors were correct, we could have traded with Portland, and had Roy and Gibson on the roster for Head. Give up the trade kicker to get James to take the bulk at PG, and that's an athletic, deep team at backcourt that would have taken us to at least the Western Conference Finals. Opportunity squandered.

One also wonders if Gibson would have had a chance to shine in the playoffs under JVG, or would he have lost the chance early on the season with all the rookie mistakes. As of Jan 25, he was shooting <40%, and had a AST/TO ratio of 1.5.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

We aggresively were hoping for Roy and we got screwed. I don't ever remember hearing that they'd trade us Roy for Luther.

...and Gibson? Please. Nobody knew who he was until last week.

You can live your life fretting over the players you passed in the draft ...or you can move on. Nobody knows who will make it in the NBA ...otherwise if you had one all-seeing GM out there, they'd be champs every single year.

Every year there are great plays picked 20+ in the draft. So every year, there you dozens of "stupid" GM's that passed up player X.

Here is a recent list of players with their draft position that the Rockets passed on:

2006: Gibson picked #42
    2005: Nate Robinson #21
    2004: Kevin Martin #26
    2003: Mo Williams #42, Josh Howard #29, Barbosa #28, Boris Diaw #21
    2002: Carlos Boozer, #35, Tayshon Price #23
    2001: Gilbert Arenas #31, Tony Parker #28, Zach Randolph #19

Oh, and one more. Michael Jordan.

For every ONE of the players on this list are 10 more picked lower that are crap players. Nobody knows until a few years go by.

Lets not play the coulda woulda game. It's a never ending game that gets boring really fast.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Speak for yourself.

4. krosfyah

Gibson was picked 42. So virtually EVERY GM passed on him at least once and 10 GM's passed on him TWICE.

So I'll speak on behalf of NBA GM's since they clearly didn't think too highly of him ...before now.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

If Yao and Tmac don't get trade kickers, why would Mike James?

6. krosfyah

Thank you.

I'm tired of everybody giving the Rockets crap about the trade kicker. James simply came up w/ the trade kicker idea at 11:30pm before the midnight deadline as an easy excuse for him to make us look like bad guys. It worked.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

daniel gibson...the guy has 2 or 3 good games and everyone is all over him...call me during the regular season...

8. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

yeah honestly, we usually see someone do this every season, remember when Flip Murray went on a scoring rampage and averaged like 30 ppg for a few weeks? Now he's a benchie for the Pistons

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

trade kickers really aren't neccesary in max contract situations I believe.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

It gets better. How about when Austin Croshere looked like the greatest thing since sliced bread in the playoffs? Then he got his huge contract, and the rest is history.

How about Moochie Norris's formerly inspired play? How about Bonzi's otherworldliness in the playoffs?

I'm sure Gibson is a fine player, but people are acting like we'd be in the finals right now if only we'd drafted him. I don't believe that. Not yet. The guy has a lot to prove... anyone can get hot for a period of time. ESPECIALLY when he's got the entire opposition guarding Lebron instead of him.

11. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

We got Hakeem. No complaints here. BTW, I DO wish that whole Ralph Sampson for Clyde Drexler and the #2 pick in the 1985 Draft thing had happened. That would've been wonderful.

John Lucas
    Michael Jordan
    Clyde Drexler
    Hakeem Olajuwon

We could've beaten ANYONE. Not to mention that we probably could've pulled something like Drexler for Barkley (as much as I live Clyde). That would've given the Rockets Lucas, Jordan, McCray, Barkley, Olajuwon for a starting 5. That wouldn't have been too shabby. You know, only a 10-12 year dynasty there. Nothing that good.

But you're right. Playing the coulda-woulda-shoulda game doesn't help here. And the Rockets were in perfect position to land all of these players. Every single freakin' one of 'em. But hindsight is always 20/20.

12. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Darn. I didn't think to add this until now, but Morgan Ensberg had one REALLY good season. I mean DARN good. Who's singing his praises now?

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not giving a link but Gibson came out early and was linked to the Rockets last year as I recall. There was some speculation that he might be drafted by the Rockets. I think he would have sat on the bench and wilted with zero playing time in Houston though.

BTW...anyone that watches Longhorn Sports new who Daniel Gibson was in college.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

No point in re-evaluating past drafts, it's such a crap shoot (even at #1, historically) and all you can do is make the best decision at the time. I think it's similar to just getting what's 'best on paper' because there's no telling how a rookie will perform when he gets thrown into the deep end.

15. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

LoL one good game and he is THE GEM in the second round
    Would u call Donyell Marshall the 2nd Reggie Miller because he holds the record for most 3-pointers made in a game (along with Kobe Bryant)?

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't Gibson projected in the lottery after his freshman season?

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You don't throw up the white flag 4 weeks in to the season when you have Yao and T-Mac... yeah, they were 3-11 at the time and T-Mac was hurt, but it was still up in the air at that time.

Secondly, when it was evident they were out of it, they did plenty of losing to get Roy. One loss more was all it took, and that was plenty possible by the end of the season. I wasn't happy with JVG's Rafer-Juwan 40-minute attack that cost them, but it's not like they made a mistake by not going in to full losing mode in NOVEMBER.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

....in other words:
    RNuss02, 11-15-05

19. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I think what is disturbing is that outside of Yao (no-brainer), we haven't made a decent draft pick since Sam Cassell.

Think about that.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'd say the Mobley pick was a pretty good one for a 2nd rounder. But outside of that, yeah our drafts have been crap.