1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iranian rapper Toomaj Salehi sentenced to death for songs critical of regime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 24, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Salehi's music denounced government corruption and suppression of dissent.

LONDON -- An Iranian court sentenced outspoken rapper Toomaj Salehi to death after his arrest over songs that criticized the government, his lawyer said Wednesday.

"The primary court sentenced Toomaj Salehi to the harshest punishment, death, on the charge of 'corruption on Earth,'" Salehi's lawyer, Amir Raesian, said in an interview with Iranian news outlet Shargh Daily.

The sentence by the Islamic Republic Revolution Court of Isfahan contradicted an Iranian Supreme Court ruling that said Salehi's case qualified for amnesty, Raesian said. The lawyer criticized the "obvious legal conflicts" in the revolutionary court's decision. "We will definitely appeal this sentence," he added.

Salehi, who has been arrested multiple times by Iranian forces, frequently called out the regime's corruption and suppression of dissentin his music and shamed the regime's apologists who "whitewash" those crimes. He is one of the most prominent artists arrested by the Iranian regime over the past few years for his work.

In one popular song, "The Mouse Hole," Salehi addresses those who collaborate with the Islamic Republic, warning that they better find a place to hide as they will be punished soon for their wrongdoings.

"Corporate journalist, cheap informer, court artist, buy a mouse hole," the lyrics read.

Despite being arrested and released in 2021 for releasing songs denouncing the government, Salehi continued to post music videos expressing his opposition to the Iranian regime.

In 2022, he voiced support for protests in Iran that were sparked by the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini who died in police custody after she was arrested for allegedly not complying with the country's hijab laws.

Iranian rap music has become a vehicle for criticism of the regime amid the protests, placing several rap stars in the crosshairs of the regime.

Despite the regime's crackdown, news of Salehi's sentence drew a wave of support from across the Iranian music world.

Iranian rap music has become a vehicle for criticism of the regime amid the protests, placing several rap stars in the crosshairs of the regime.

Despite the regime's crackdown, news of Salehi's sentence drew a wave of support from across the Iranian music world.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Internat...enced-death-songs-critical/story?id=109575605

tinman likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Where is the outrage of our resident leftists?

Remember, Hamas and Hezbollah are sponsored by the government of Iran, which subjugates and murders women, gays, dissenters.

The leftists are on the side of Hamas and the Mullahs.

tinman likes this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not that'd you'd go

[​IMG]

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I agree. Stop selling 5th generation stealth fighters to Iran.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol
    The majority of the woke d&d has no love for hip hop either

they are just like the Iranians mullahs except they are fat and whitey

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is the Iranian mullah government leftists support while saying they are "pro Palestine" and feeling very virtuous while doing it, whatever they think that is even supposed to mean.

The Islamist government that murders young women, gays, dissenters, that sponsors terrorism.

Choose your side wisely. If, like these dumbass students, you are with the Hamas/Iran/Putin side and against Israel and the USA, you support evil and are on the wrong side of history.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aren't you cheering on state suppression of speech in the student protest thread?

I've never heard of this guy, but it definitely sounds like a human rights violation that's par for the course in Iran. They're an evil regime.

Rocket River and Newlin like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am cheering on state suppression of harassment and calls for murder of Jews.

Did any of these students get sentenced to death?

What a silly question to ask by you.

Astrodome likes this.
  10. mtbrays

Supporting Member

That's where we differ. Protestors can say whatever they want. The Supreme Court has ruled in cases like Skokie v Illinois, involving neo Nazis represented by the old school ACLU, that content of speech is protected by the first amendment. I might abhor the content of speech, but I do not believe it's the place of the state to squash it.

Violently repressing speech only draws more attention to that speech as this very thread illustrates.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You don't know what you are talking about.

12. mtbrays

Supporting Member

This is 100% harassment and those students should be punished. I'm not chronically online and haven't been consuming a lot of this content. I was mainly reacting to the images of my alma mater, UT Austin, yesterday where it seems like Texas state troopers violently quashed a student protest.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Here are some more examples. Please don't lecture about free speech when you don't even follow what is being said at these hate events.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...forced-to-resign.321704/page-46#post-15176982

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You posted this question one minute after posting the thread.

pgabriel likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's been almost 6 hours now. Probably not enough time for you to process and understand the news, but give it a try.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Why are you insulting me?

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know, let me use your own words used towards me to give you a response - two examples out of many, going back 14 years.

Apologies if I hurt your feelings though.

18. fchowd0311

I really hope you have real people in your life that care for you because if you use this message board you invest so much time in as your support community when 99% think you are a psychopath oh boy you have no avenue for support then and that can become toxic. Like potential mass shooter toxic.

For the sake of potential safety of the nearest mosque to you, I really hope you have a decent support network in real life. It seems like after covid you've gotten significantly worse.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

lol

Talk about projection.

20. fchowd0311

Well if you can find posting habits of me spamming 80 tweets a day concentrating hate on specific groups of people on a NBA team fan message board then fair play but let's be real. Your posting habits are no different than the manifestos and social media dumps of prior mass shooters who targeted places like mosques