1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPhone September Event (iPhone 5)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Bloomberg has a new article with new iPhone 5 details and a leaked pic of a case.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-22/apple-said-to-prepare-faster-iphone-for-september.html

[​IMG]

At least they're making some necessary hardware upgrades.. wondering if they'll have LTE on it.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

come on man..it's apple. they will do 3G+ first..then charge again for LTE next year after letting everyone else fixes the bugs.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Sounds more like iPhone 4s than iPhone 5

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

If they upgrade from from the 3G network I would definitely upgrade, I still may anyway though.

Some of the rumors say that it will be branded as 4s instead of 5.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's my hope that...

1) iPhone comes to Sprint/T-Mobile (cheaper service plans)

and

2) They design an "economy" model for people who don't want cutting edge/bells whistles

If that happens, I'll dump my Android phone.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I thought it was going to get a 4" screen?

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

**** iphones, **** Apple, and **** viral advertising.

8. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I'm not trying to be "Apple guy" here -- but I totally am everywhere else, so that's fine. But has Apple really EVER done this? With ANYTHING? I can maybe, MAYBE listen to an argument for the iPod Shuffle.

Look, I'm not going to attack or defend Apple here, and no one's going to drag me into that discussion. But that just doesn't seem to fit with the way Apple has done things this decade.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7621565.html

P.S. What about the Mac Mini? iPod shuffle is a good example, so is the iPod Mini... Apple does come out with more "utilitarian" versions of their products that cut cost.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I could see a smaller, cheaper version of the phone. Like Donny said, there is some precedent there: and certainly it would further increase their market.

As for the 5 (or 4S) my contract isn't up for another year anyway; I'm much more interested in getting iOS 5. And this still isn't anything more than a 'rumor' right now, though obviously something is in the works.

11. blathersby

Donny, I can't comment on the validity of rumors in the Chronic article -- I'm somewhat known to be an Apple employee around here and can't give a response to it. And, honestly, we really don't know anything ahead of time. But that doesn't mean I haven't been around and heard my share of rumors.

Back in 2009, the big rumor was iPhone Nano and iPod Touch Pro. Neither of these happened. Sure, some rumors have come true -- the iPhone Verizon rumor I heard every day since 2008 happened. And the iSlate came out with a different name (I'm using mine right now). But I get asked about rumors every day. Fact is, most of 'em never happen. So I tend to ignore them (except I ALWAYS want to see what CF is saying).

Most products Apple releases that are a bit more Spartan than others tend to have additional features. The G4 cube was about design. The Mac Mini has evolved into a sort of home theater behemoth. If you look at it's chipset and RAM, it's pretty much a repackaging of last year's 13" MacBook Pro.

And the iPod Mini is a great point -- I didn't think about that one.

But designing a second iPhone to have a lower end chipset and less features? For customers who want an iPhone but don't want the speed, screen, etc. in the iPhone 4, a $49 3GS is still an option. And the 3G before that.

For the record: I use a Power Mac G5, a first-gen iPad, and a Nokia 3588i.

12. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Economy model = surplus stock of 3G/3Gs/4

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Could we divide these apple threads into two threads? One discussing the apple hardware specs and improvements and then one arguing why apple sucks?

Without a 4 inch screen this iPhone offers little interest to me.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Then just get the Iphone 3G/3GS.

I will be keeping my 3GS until Apple comes out with something that blows me away.

But you're right, I am also wishing for the day that the Iphone comes to TMobile. I missed their cheap plans.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We've got 3G's and no contract. Been looking to get the iPhone 5 when it comes out as a replacement, and wave bye-bye to AT&T. I'm impressed with the iPad 2's hardware, so that looks like a nice upgrade, but I really want a larger screen more than anything.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

I think it will be a minor upgrade and here's why. When everyone got the 3G iphone, they were locked into a 2 year contract with ATT. So a 3GS model made sense a year later.

Once those people were out of contract, then came the iphone 4. Now those people are back in a contract, even the verizon customers for another year.

Second, the LTE network & chips are still getting worked on. There's no need to rush an LTE iphone on to the scene without a network to back it up with.

And by bringing this 'upgrade' in september, they also seperate the verizon iphone announcment in january by a couple more months.

so my predictions:
    1. minor upgrade with some speed increases, and a new OS. This OS will overshadow any lack of hardware upgrades.

2. support for sprint and tmobile. the longer apple takes to do this, the longer android grows. imagine if the iphone was available from day 1 on all carriers in the US. there wouldn't be any android.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

My problem with that is the horrid support that was given to older model phones. After the way Apple f***ed up the transition to iOS4 for all 3G users, I am really scared to get anything from them that is outdated.

19. blathersby

Totally understandable, man. The 3G just did not handle 3GS and 4 apps well.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Baaaaa!

Funny how Apple used to be the nerd vitriol darling.

#20 Xerobull, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011