1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iphone on Verizon: Event 1/11/11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/...iphone-cometh-verizon-announces-jan-11-event/

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20110107/apple-ceo-likely-to-appear-at-verizon-iphone-event/

I know you Android fanboys won't care, but this will change the game. Looks Verizon and ATT will get a slightly redesigned Iphone 4 that fix the Antenna issue. The Phone looks to be a Dual Band phone, with a Sim Card slot and a CDMA chip inside. The Iphone is the Best Selling single smart phone handset and by FAR the most profitable phone. (yes, I know Android as an OS is now selling more because EVERYONE and their mom makes an Android handset....that range from $0 on Up.).

Now Verizon can experience what ATT has.....a CRUSH of data users on their network.

You wont see an LTE version for both network till 2012, most likely. However, the Iphone 5 will probably be announce in June, as usual. No ideas on that device yet.

BTW...look for the iPad 2 to be announced end of January, early Feb.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

"OOOOOOOHHHHH NNNNOOOO!!!! EVENT VERIZON!!!!" - AT&T

Rocket River

3. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

I am currently an Android user on Verizon and have been waiting for this announcement, because I want the iPhone.

Only thing is, if the iPhone 5 is coming out in the summer for Verizon, I rather wait for that. Hopefully they let us know what's up.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I would think they would release the iPhone 5 for Verizon. It would probably be the LTE version too because it looks like this one is only going to be CDMA. Verizon has got some nice phones coming up... the Bionic looks like a better version of the Atrix and they have their own version of the Samsung Infuse too.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

well this comes as a surprise..... ;)

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'll love reading the excuses when this does NOT happen, lol
    ;)

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What do you anticipate will happen with ATT in 2 yrs when those old contract run out?

Rocket River

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

By that time, who knows? It won't be the (potential) catastrophe it would have been if Verizon got the iPhone two year ago. We don't know how AT&T's 4G network will stack up against Verizon's in 2 years. We don't know how much smaller the iPhone's market share will have declined in comparison to Android or perhaps another significant competitor.

Two years is "an eternity" at the speed of technology.

9. ItsMyFault

Well... considering that Verizon will soon tether their plans (if they haven't already) and that AT&T will be getting LTE... I'm assuming the only reasoning for switching to Verizon would be customer service. For the price that you get on AT&T vs. Verizon, I'd think (if things stay the same) that people would stay with AT&T.

Also, what 3PO said. Anything can happen in that time frame. Right now, Verizon is the clear-cut carrier leader in Android phones. That could be AT&T in two years.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What is LTE?

I have the iPhone with ATT and I hate their service. Way too many dropped calls and it never works in large crowds, like the Texans game. Does anyone think the service will be better with Verizon, since I hear one of the reason ATT has crap service is because so many people have the phone?

I had Verizon before getting the iPhone and loved their service. My 2 yr contract with ATT is up this July.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You and IMF responded to Rocket River's post already, but I just wanted to reinforce this point. Smartphones from 2 years ago look like they are from the friggen stone age when compared with some of the juiced up monsters we have today. 2 years from now, I expect SIGNIFICANT changes in not just the hardware, but the capabilities of the networks to handle massive data demands.

ATT was simply caught off guard b/c they didn't anticipate the impact the iphone would have. NO ONE really anticipated it.

12. ItsMyFault

LTE will be the 4G data for AT&T... which Verizon has right now. It's the fastest 4G out of the current 4G's. T-Mobile is also going to upgrade their network to 4G but at an ever later date.

As far as call quality and signal goes, I think I'd give the notch to Verizon. It really all depends on where you're at, what part of the country you live in, etc. For me, I've never had a problem with signal or reception issues for AT&T around any part of Houston.

13. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

AT&T's signal can be quite polarizing from time to time. A couple examples: I almost always have problems in The Woodlands but signal at UH is great. And I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and virtually didn't have any signal (3G or Edge) at either of the Universal Studios parks but everything was perfect at Disney World. They're no more than 25 miles apart in both cases and are near large cities so I dont understand what the reason for that would be. I won't complain too much or jump ship to Verizon though because I get a great price through my job, but AT&T can be more than frustrating at times.

14. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I live in San Diego and did not get all the complaints about ATT coverage. Went to Houston over Christmas to visit family and I understood. I would have gotten rid of my iPhone a long time ago if I lived in Houston.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They waited too long IMO, announce the verizon iPhone 2 years ago and they'd sell like hotcakes. Now the competition has stepped up and iPhone isn't really the best phone out there anymore, still good but not the best. It will still sell well but not as well.

There are dual core phones in the waiting, not to mention the iPhone to be announced later this year.

I don't see a lot of people rushing out to buy the iPhone right now.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That's were you are wrong. Iphone is still the best overall smart phone. No smartphone can beat is performance/battery life/experience combination. Bigger Screen....battery life issues. Ease of use? No contest.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Haven't had ATT in a while, but was with Tmobile for years and it sucked donkey ballz!!! I rely on my phone for business in downtown and the service was mind-numbingly horrible!!!!

Switched to Verizon a few months ago and its like upgrading to a Benz from a Corolla.

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

In my opinion CDMA, is a superior technology than GSM, and the fact that it has the ability to use sim cards in case you're out of the country where GSM is the world standard, makes it pretty awesome.

CDMA has a history of having better call quality than GSM.

19. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Man, I have nothing but HORRIBLE things to say about T-mobile. If you're going to get new service, ignore them. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T are way better, you just have to see who has good coverage in your area

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Ease of use comes with it's costs. The IPhone is nowhere near as personalized as Android. Performance wise other phones are just as good.