1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPhone Apps Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Dec 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Stop thinking like this, man. :eek: Just look for what you want and stop making the comparison. They are similar in so many things as far as both being "smart phones", but... it will just make your life easier...

2. Hak34

Hak34 Member

When you can take the stone from my hand....

Sounds like someone needs an android phone. LOL
    e

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Thanks for that fresh and interesting perspective.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

omnifocus
    pageonce
    reeder
    spotify

all pretty essential

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It seems most surveys conclude Android owners don't tend to actually buy apps, which is part of the reasons it doesn't have as much dev support. You are probably going to find more .99 and 1.99 apps that are of higher quality than the free stuff on iOS, but I think they are worth it.

However, there are a TON of sales on the App Store, and you can almost always find the paid apps for less or sometimes for free. I really recommend this:

Appshopper
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appshopper/id387037496?mt=8
    Monitor app prices, you can track history, get alerts when they go on sale, etc. etc. VERY useful.

The iPod built in won't work? As far as I know if you pause the music it picks up where you left off next time you go into the player.

Been looking into this myself lately. The popular/'brand name' one is 1Password. But yes, it costs money, though not as much as the desktop version IIRC.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-for-iphone/id285897618?mt=8

Other good paid options: msecure and Datavault.

Cheaper option:
    pwSafe
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pwsafe-password-safe-for-ios/id440783112?mt=8

free option:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-eyes-only-secure-password/id285835523?mt=8

You can arrange apps by pressing and holding down on them until they start to 'shake'. Then you can drag and rearrange (and move to the next page by pushing them toward the edge of the screen) apps from there. You can also drop one on top of another to create a 'folder' and name it to organize them that way. You should be able to create themed 'pages' this way.

Nothing that I am aware of, other than the rumored integration of iMessage into OSX, though that won't apply to you.

2 people like this.
  7. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Almost as fresh as....

I dumped android.

I want android this

I want android that

Is there an app to make my Iphone run like an android

I just said what everyone else was thinking...just freaking buy an android and be happy.

8. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Flipboard is probably the most useful and convenient app I have on my phone. News and social networking in one place. Highly recommend it.

9. ima_drummer2k

Thanks for the response, Rokkit. You have been repped accordingly.

I use something called Download Lite and it doesn't remember where I left off. I think it uses the stock iPhone player? Reason I need that is because I download and listen to Phil Hendrie and most of his shows are 40 minutes long.

I actually found a pretty good free one called The Vault. It doesn't store anything on some server, just on your phone. Exactly what I was looking for.

Good to know, I'll try this. I know how to drag the icons, but I have trouble dragging them to the left. I keep accidentally dragging one to the right and opening up another home screen. When I try to drag it back to the left to get rid of the extra home screen, it won't let me.

One more thing I'd like to find is a keyboard that is better at predicting words. The stock one doesn't do it often enough and always predicts obscure words. I used Swiftkey on my Android phone and loved it.

Also looking for a good 'clean up' utility. Something that clears your history, cache, etc.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The best way to solve this would be to download the shows as a podcast in iTunes (I'm assuming they are just listed as songs currently) and use the built in music player. If it's listed as a podcast it will remember where you were, even if you stop and listen to something else, it also gives you more syncing options like only copying the latest episodes or ones you haven't listened to.

If you don't want to re-download them you may also be able to change the "Media Kind" to podcast in iTunes by right clicking the song and choosing "Get Info" and going to the "Options" tab, it's grayed out on my computer though.

11. Coach AI

Ah, yeah if the Hendrie show is an actual podcast ludicrous is right: iTunes will manage it for you and sync it to the phone to work with the built in iPod.

HOWEVER, if you'd like to manage podcasts from the phone directly, there are a few Podcast Manager apps that will handle updates, subscriptions, downloads and everything. My favorite at the moment is Instacast. Really good app.

Also, any empty 'pages' will disappear whenever you click and get out of the 'edit/shaking' mode.

Thanks for the vault suggestion, I'll check it out.

Also, Safari has a 'private' mode for cleaning browsing history and such. It's under Settings>Safari I think.

12. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

13. Scionxa

Plus, Private Mode turns your browser black :)

14. Coach AI

Ha yeah that's another bonus.

15. ima_drummer2k

Well, it's not really a podcast, it's his actual radio show. I subscribe to his website and download mp3s directly from it with my browser. The shows are unavailable on iTunes and the website isn't very mobile-friendly. I'll check it out though.

The problem is that the pages aren't empty because I can't seem to move the last remaining app to the page on the left. I can move them to the page on the right, which creates another page, but I can't move them to the left to get rid of the extra page.

I hope I'm making sense and don't sound like a complete idiot...

16. Coach AI

Hmm. Surprising a radio show like Hendrie wouldn't offer a podcast (in the form of his radio show recorded) on iTunes. I looked in Instacast and there are some options listed so that might be what you are looking for.

Also, iTunes will still take the mp3 even if it's not in the store. You can just drag and drop what you download into the iTunes music library (or onto your phone's picture if you have it connected) and it will import.

The icons should move back and forth. If the previous page is full it'll keep bumping another icon over since there's no room, but other than that you should be able to move it to the edge, hold it there a second, and eventually it'll flip.

#156 Coach AI, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

If you want to track calories myfitnesspal.com app is free and awesome.

Also Mint for finances.

18. Scionxa

PageOnce is also a good alternative for finances

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I received an iPhone for Christmas this year... I've been perusing this thread for hints so thanks!