1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPhone Apps Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Dec 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I use JukeFly to stream music from my laptop to my phone. One feature I like in particular is that, if for any reason my laptop is unavailable (i.e. - shut down), the app will search YouTube for the song I wanted to play, and stream it that way.

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

nice. thanks!

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

A few great games for those of you who have been looking for something to play:

Galaxy on Fire 2

Space combat/exploration, you play as a pilot who is thrown into the future after an attack. It's got kind of a Wing Commander type feel to me with RPG elements. You can upgrade/buy new ships and weapons, get side missions for cargo and new items. You also have the ability to travel to new places and jump to new systems/bases. Hi res graphics, controls are solid.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulAOtRYNRBA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulAOtRYNRBA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Cut the Rope:

Another puzzle game with tons of levels and a cool game mechanic. It'll get compared to Angry Birds because of the graphic style, I guess, but they play nothing alike. You supposed to figure out how to get the candy in the box to the little guy inside by cutting ropes and using other gameplay mechanics. VERY addictive and very creative.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CvFUMQKs-tg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CvFUMQKs-tg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Monkey Island 2: Special Edition

Lucasarts recently released the Monkey Island games with revamped graphics and now they have come out on the iPhone. I picked the second one because they even updated the graphics for the iPhone hi res screen. If anyone remembers these old school adventure games they play great on the phone with a touch screen interface.

[​IMG]

Non games:

Star Walk

You might have seen this on some of the iPad commercials, but it's on the iPhone too. Uses the GPS and compass in the phone to 'track' the sky as you move the phone. It will accurately (as far as I can tell) tell you info about the stars and constellations as you move the phone. It even has the ability to direct you to something you searched for as you move, or to 'time machine' it and see a map of the sky on a certain date and time.

It's definitely one of those jaw dropping apps when you show someone for the first time. It's pretty awesome.

Here's a video showing the 'tracking'
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/afjVlYa5wQE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/afjVlYa5wQE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

4. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Instagram. Awesome photo app, it's like Flickr + Twitter.

5. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Tom Tom gps app is amazing, love it. Also, the Trapster app is cool to. It warns you of police similar to a radar dector but relies on people reporting police location. Been an iPhone user for only a week as well.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Hipstamatic Camera

Best app I downloaded in the 3.5 months I owned the phone.

7. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

any free solution to turn by turn navigation yet?

8. H-Rockets

H-Rockets Member

angry birds, facebook, sportscenter, bookworm, break, flixster, pandora.....these are all beast!

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

10. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Skyfire should be out today. Browser that will let you watch flash videos. Doesn't support flash games though. Looks like it'll be $2.99

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I've been having a blast playing Wolfenstein 3D on my iPhone. Yes, I said Wolfenstein 3D! It's a fantastic port of the classic DOS game (at least I think it was DOS...). I also picked up Bust-a-Move, one of my favorite arcade classics. I stayed off the smartphone train until my job forced my hand, but now I'm LOVING it.

12. Coach AI

Infinity Blade releases tomorrow.

It's the first game using the UE3 engine created for the iPhone that was in the demo posted earlier. It's from Epic and it's an action fighter/RPG type game. Lots of good impressions so far.

and dat graphics

http://kotaku.com/5709605/the-visually-sumptuous-infinity-blade

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5dO0046lpA8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5dO0046lpA8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Cut The Rope
    Angry Birds
    Skyfire

All great apps.

14. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

Infinity blade is officially out on the app store

15. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

The game is pretty solid, a little repetitive but the graphics and game play are great.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

HeyTell - walkie talk app.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I just played episode 1 and 2 of 1112

[​IMG]

Insanely good 'adventure' game along the lines of Myst, with beautiful art throughout. Lots of great puzzles, some of which utilize the iphone's accelerometer and touchscreen.

It has a great sense of humor and you find yourself sucked into the main character's personality. Yea, he looks like Johhny Depp for some reason.

[​IMG]

Highly recommended.

18. Coach AI

Ah, I'd always thought about trying 1112. Might pick it up now.

Hector is also an awesome, 'Lucasarts' type adventure game with more 'adult' humor. Really great.

And people are calling Infinity Blade 'Punch Out!! + Demon's Souls' which pretty much sold me.

19. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

dont know if anyone posted this already, but my all time personal favorite app

[​IMG]

http://itunes.apple.com/app/offender-locator/id317435796?mt=8

always good for going to someones house how and informing them they live next to a Registered sex offender, Good Times!

I also love using the ToyCamera App, and the Tilt-Shift app, makes Iphone pictures look really nice(for phone camera picturse), oh ya the Hipstomtic ones pretty cool to.

20. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

But it could also lead to some awkward situations if you find out that they're the sex offender.