1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPhone 3G (and iPhone 2.0 firmware) Launch Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Jul 10, 2008.

1. lpbman

lpbman Member

AT&T question....

Does the $30 a month unlimited data plan extend to all phones or just the Iphone?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What? Is this the only cell phone you can find or is this the cell phone you want to find? lol.

Come on, neither consoles nor cell phones should generate this kind of nuttiness.

I'm thinking about getting one myself, but I'm sure not going to be part of the zaniness of waiting in line for hours or days for a phone that's pretty much the same phone already out there with a faster data rate. I'd be pissed if I had waited that long to get one and had a hell of a time activating the thing like many people are having.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Lol, someone's gettin' fired.

Have you tried using the firmware downloadable from outside iTunes?

Well, I believe that's what Yak was referring to. Someone saying that it was understandable for consoles but not for phones.

I think he's talking about in general with the comparison.

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

was able to get 2.0 without any problems. It took about 40 minutes...

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ah, in that case, I'm sorry - I misunderstood.

That being said, I'm also a hypocrite... I waited in line at midnight dodging television cameras at Computer City in Houston for................... Windows 95.

Hey, they had free pizza and drinks... and I was a dorky 25 year old! :(

6. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Sorry guys...go ahead and flame me. But anyone that waits for up to 3hrs for a freaking cell phone is an idiot.
    It's a freaking cell phone on steroids that costs a lot of money and even more to utilize features that are only 5 minutes away on a PC that you have access to at work or home.
    I've used an iPhone and quite frankly, the internet experience sucks compared to any computer. The texting is like any other phone...the GPS is just like the GPS on my Razr. When it all boils down to it, you people are paying for the hype that Apple has created.
    Amazing how in an age when people are crying about the price of gas and groceries, that they will still go out and get their damn iPhone. How pathetic!
    Flame on my brethren!!!

7. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

It took FOREVER for the firmware to update...Whose idea was it to release the firmware update for the original iPhone when the 3G one was released?!? It took forever to get this crap done.

Anyway as soon I got it done, I love the 3G iPhone. The Apps are awesome and the poker game (that you have to buy) is the best one I've played (other than the real online ones)

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

it took me 10 minutes to download and the apps are amazing, well some of them. I like the shazam app that tells you what song is playing.

9. Coach AI

Are you talking about Motion X Poker or something like that? I've been hearing a lot of good things about it.

:D
    Hell, free pizza and drinks goes a long way!

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

Good lord, you'd think Apple had just invented cold fusion. It's a phone. I know it does some neat things, but seriously who out there is reading the same Iphone story on every website on the planet.

Just to reiterate.... It's a phone.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

it's a solid phone.

The internet is slow broadband. Some of the apps are really cool.

"Box Office" uses your current location and lists the movie theater closest to you. It has showtimes and also incorporates fandango so you can purchase tickets once you find a showing you want to go to.

AOL Radio
    The most impressive free ap. It gives you the choice of over 100 radio stations around the U.S. In houston, they have 100.3, CNN 650, HOT 95.7, Sports Radio 610. I'm hoping this list expands as time goes on.

Shazam
    Hold ur phone up to the radio and Shazam WILL RECOGNIZE the song. It's really good and can get even the most obscure titles.

Sports Tap
    Scores from all over sports are a couple of touches away. Well designed program.

Cocktakes $9.99
    HUGE database of drinks. you can search by the name of the drink or the base liquor in it. Lets you know what ingrediants and exact measurements it needs.

For those "it's just a phone" posters, it's not a phone more than a mp3 player. The seamlessness of how all the features work is unmatched. Samsung phones were pretty good but for the last few months, I had a motrorola which has the worst uder interfaces on the planet. I'm loving the new iphone.

12. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I was arguing with someone because he seemed to thinking lining up for consoles whereas lining up for a phone was not. Full disclosure, I have an iPhone (and love it) and no game console, but like I said in an earlier post, I would never line up for either.

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

just picked up an 8 gb black for my wife at the ATT store on 249 @ spring cypress. I was 4th in line at 9 am and had to wait until they opened at 10. Not too bad.

14. Coach AI

The one called Midomi actually lets you hum/sing/butcher a song and tries to recognize it.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

love the apps so far that i have put on the phone. the apple remote that lets you control itunes is also great for parties when i can control my itunes from anywhere in the apt without having to get to my computer.

16. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

I don't know, I think it's called Texas Hold'em...the animation is pretty cool...and the cool thing is that you can play with people who have it.

I played my brother and wrecked him :D you have to be on the same WiFi network to play together, I think

17. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Also, I heard the MLB.com app is awesome too. You can get real time scoring and you'll be able to see plays minutes after it has happen. I think its worth the 5 bucks.

18. Coach AI

^^^Yeah the MLB app is supposed to be very well done.

I hope they do one for the NBA.

On the gaming side, I found this interesting:

I don't think the iPhone is in any position to be a major player in the portable gaming market like the DS/PSP, but still was surprised by the comparison.

Also, f*** Monkey Ball. Presentation is awesome and graphics are great, but the controls suck ass. Super Monkey Ball already frustrated me with a controller, but it's dangerous to get pissed off when the 'controller' is the system itself.

Though that one I mentioned earlier is Motion X Poker.
    Tried this after all; very cool. Polished little game, dice/poker, with unlockables and 'achievements'. VERY addictive because it's so simple.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bFjKqT2i6_U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bFjKqT2i6_U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#58 Coach AI, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think a marketing genius came up with this name... then again, maybe one did...

20. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

So the update won't delete all my contact, correct?