1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPhone 3G (and iPhone 2.0 firmware) Launch Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

What? That's the same line my wife was in. Damn. I may have to run down now.

2. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I went to the Pasadena store a few minutes past 8, and by 10, they ran out 5 people in front of me. They said they only had 50 phones. Originally they had said that there would be enough for all the people in line unless, but that quickly changed. Those f***ers. :mad:

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Wow, Apple really has a lot of people whipped on this phone...enough to go camp out and/or stand in long lines. I'm amazed. You know that is going to be nothing but trouble. Then, you could have just come back in a few days and gotten one with no wait or problems. Surely, their not going to be out of stock for several weeks after this initial launch date?

4. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I gladly would've waited another week or so, but my brother just HAD to get one today. :eek:

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Being a gamer, I've seen it a lot. Waiting overnight for systems and such. I don't know. I've never been a person who was really excited by the idea of doing it. As I've gotten older, I'm even less likely to camp out for something.

But some folks have no problem doing it.

And yeah, I wouldn't think it would be several weeks after...but you never know. Which I guess for some people is why they bother with the wait.

6. Surfguy

well, i can understand more for a gaming console. this isn't exactly the same thing IMO. if apple can't re-stock these iphones at a good rate after the initial launch date, then they have really dropped the ball IMO.

7. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

IMO, a cell phone is more important than a gaming console. And wii's are still relatively hard to find, no? Calculated limit on supply.

8. astros148

astros148 Member

what a ripoff. feel sorry for the ppl who are getting scammed on AT&T rip off plan.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i got the last 16gb black at the venice/overland store in west LA. was in line for 3.5 hours

they didnt activate the phone in the store though said that itunes was being hammered from all over the globe with activations. i am going to just charge and activate it tonight at home. still using my old iphone for right now

11. Surfguy

i'm thinking about getting the samsung instinct instead. i kind of want to be running the windows OS...so i can develop mobile applications for it using .NET . i'm not sure what developers are using to develop iphone apps but, somehow, i don't think it is any microsoft product. lol

per the person who said the cell phone is more important than the gaming console, that may be true but almost everyone waiting in those cell phone lines already has a cell phone and they are just switching or upgrading. it's not like that's their first cell phone and they have to have it...like the gaming console.

12. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

I doubt that all those people waiting for the xbox360/ps3/wii were making their first console purchase...and the fact that people HAVE to HAVE a gaming console is just laughable.

In any case, waiting in lines for such stuff is stupid. I got my iPhone in September of last year right after the price drop, no lines. Upgraded to iPhone 2.0 last night and have been enjoying the new software for almost 24 hours...no line again.

13. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I walked by the apple store at willow brook mall. Line did not look that bad outside. Maybe 30 people then I peeked in. Man that store is deep and the line went all the way from the front door to the register.

14. Surfguy

i can understand the appeal of the gaming console more personally...especially because kids are involved...but each person will have his own perspective. i'm sure it's really important to get the latest iphone right at launch because of the faster internet and gps capability. and, they gotta have those 3rd party apps asap. i don't get it...but that doesn't make me right to not want to wait in line. all the people waiting in lines to get one have their reasons. i'm sure it has a lot to do with being able to connect to the MS Exchange servers to check e-mail for business reasons...and to text message and make phone calls...and to run the internet faster on a mobile device. i can't wait for that personally. i'm going to go stand in line for a few hours. ;)

15. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

its the business end of stuff that made myself and my boss want to get it asap and test it all out. the owner of the company has a current iphone and his biggest beef with it was the lack of real exchange support with it. so we are going to test it and all.

the faster internet speeds are a plus and all. we need to configure our exchange server now for the new devices so the sooner we have them to play with the easier it will be once the rest of management get their phones, they were all requesting blackberries recently when all but one had iphones so they said they'd just wait for the new iphone to come out.

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

[​IMG]

18. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

hilarious, basically right. but mine works now. these apps are rad, the internet radio is sweet.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I thought about getting it but have heard and read that it is buggy. I am due for an upgrade as of 7/10, anything else comparable in ATT's market?

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Wait a couple days and pick one up. Apple will quickly fix any problems that may pop up.

People may hate on the iPhone but I've had a great experience with mine and personally know dozens of people who won't go back to a normal phone.