1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPad, et al.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasFight, Jan 5, 2011.

1. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

So I'm really leaning hard towards buying an iPad.

However, I'm afraid its just too costly and wanted to hear from people who have them as to how much they use them, in what capacity, etc.

Also, I know that Asus just announced four ePads yesterday, and I think I really like the EEE Pad Slider... for the price of an iPad it has the camera, a built in keyboard that acts as a kickstand when not in use, flash capability, etc.

Has anyone done any research into the iPad competitors and thinks one of them is better than the rest?

I travel a lot and would love to have the iPad to watch movies/tv shows on and to read ebooks... currently i use my iPhone which is a strain on the eyes.

Plus this would be great to have just to surf the web while sitting on the couch. I really think with the built in keyboard, the EEE Pad Slider could be a productivity tool with Word/Excel as well.

Any thoughts?

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Get ready for some more eye strain.

3. tested911

tested911 Member

They say in 2015 40%-50% of all computer/laptop/netbook users will be Tablet users.

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Really? I thought it would be so easy to read eBooks on a 10" screen? No?

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The e-ink screens built in with most ereaders is probably the best bet for ebooks, but yes the iPad will definitely be an improvement over what you are doing with the iphone.

None of the competitors have the kind of support in content/apps/etc. as the iPad does right now. None of them really have 'come together' yet to be honest. The closest is probably the Galaxy Tab. It's Android powered, but even then Google has yet to release and Android build specifically tailored for a touch screen tablet.

It sounds pretty much like it's the best bet for everything you want to do. The only issue is that the tablet isn't going to be the best choice for productivity applications yet (ie if you are still going to take with you a keyboard and mouse you are kind of back to a regular laptop) but certainly there will be more and more applications and revisions to help in that area.

But for media content, videos, music, browsing and apps yes it's probably your best bet.

Just be aware that we are coming up on a year since the iPad's release, so Apple may do a 'refresh' sometime in March/April. If you can hold out until then you will see better models (and maybe even a better price).

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I use my iPad extensively when travelling. I have not experienced any apparent eye strain when reading books. I have watched movies and connected to my Sling Box. I have used it in a production environment when at a customer site, either by using VPN to connect to my home or work computer, taking notes and preparing documents and training materials.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

8. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Yes, I keep hearing about rumors about the iPad2... but no definite news from Apple - just leaked pics of cases.

I really wish we could hear something concrete. I'd likely hold out a few months for dual camera (front and back) and flash capability.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

You mean like camera flash? Hmm. Possible.

Front camera will be likely, I think.

And yeah, there's nothing concrete...but the yearly refresh model has been consistent with the iPhone, so it might be the same here.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I think the tablet market is just going to explode over the next two years. (And so do the guys in charge of forecasting PC sales etc). The competitors are just getting started. Ipad will introduce newer and better models. As will the competitors. Expect integration with phones gps, and other devises.

Whatever you buy today, you will have overpaid by next year -- such is life with new tech. Costly, sure -- but whether it's worth it to you is your call.

A friend bought an iPad and a wireless keyboard. Which she likes for travel and writing. If you buy....recognize that you're going to overpay (relatively)....it will be deficient in 6 months...but you'll have the use in the interim. Cue the Mac/PC threads on experience vs price. Second verse, same as the first.

(FWIW I'm really impressed by the iPad.)

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

At this point wait for the new version. That's when ill get one.

12. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

If you want Flash on Your Ipad, Iphone, Ipod download the skyfire app. Use it to navigate to a site that uses flash, stream movies, etc. and most of the time it works. Only downside is that you can fast forward/rewind and I don't think it works on some sites.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I have an iPad and I truly love it. It comes in handy when you don't want to go to the computer. I used it all year for NFL sunday ticket to watch a second game while I watched the Texans on the TV.

As far as a reader goes, since it does emit light it does wear on the eyes a bit. The e-readers like the kindle etc are far better for reading and easier on the eyes, but they don't give you the functionality and versatility of what the iPad brings to the table.

If you have the money to have a reader and an iPad then your good to go. Either way you can make due with just the Ipad.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would wait for the spring release of the iPad2. What I've skimmed off the net says there's good chance it will be a bit slimmer, a bit lighter, have the Retina screen of the new iPhone, the two cameras, and perhaps some performance upgrades. More memory, tweaking the cpu and graphics, etc., but that's more unlikely than the other stuff. Some rumors even have Apple giving it a dual processor, which would be huge. Guess we'll see.

15. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I have an ipad and its great. I can take it anywhere I want and it doesn't take any space.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I have one as well. Unfortunately or fortunately, I found that the iPad bridges the gap between the tiny iPhone display and the computer display. If you are kicking back watching TV, then I find myself using the iPhone to get sports stats, news, etc. . It's so much easier with the iPad to kick back and not go blind in the process of trying to read the display. I love reading books on my iPad and it's even got me in the kitchen cooking meals with the convenience of accessing the recipe and cooking video. I plan on using the fitness app as well if I ever get off my ass. lol

17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

This.

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

There are like tons of tablets coming out this year so best thing is to wait and see. Don't waste your money on the first generation iPad.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I bought one for wife a couple of months ago. We decided not to wait on a one with a camera because we would never use it on a tablet. It does everything we want to do other than flash. Not having flash is irritating. I'm probably going to buy a Android or Blackberry tablet next year.

20. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

This is what I'm leaning towards. I think I really like the Asus EEE Pad Slider... comes out in April.