1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inverse Racism(?) and 'Racial Inequality' in the US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Jan 6, 2016.

1. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

Thanks for your response MDrowe00, you bring up excellent points and I would like to expand on them if you don't mind me doing so.

I would first like to address that my original post in no shape or form is saying Asian-American troubles and social issues should have priorities over any other minority group in America. In my times during my research, I have read upon the historical and ongoing injustices done to people of color in this Nation and around the world.

As a fellow person of color though I would say that your post's narrative has legitimate notion and I would rightfully agree with you that there is a large insidious narrative being continuously driven at the African-American community. However, it is also being driven at other minority groups in America, including the Asian-American group in different ways. If your post was not about this then I apologize in advance for mistaking your words. I'm not trying to take away anything from the struggles of the African/Latin/Native-American community. The original thought was directed at the original post in which this notion of "model minority" does not complain and just "work's hard" is just a facade and known tactic of white supremacist narrative to attack other minorities.

If I didn't live in Maryland, I personally would like to talk about it over a beer with you because online posts do these topics no justice.

So let me briefly address your points:

1) The Asian-Enclaves. While these communities do provide their own form of culture and community to Asian-Americans they are not inclusive of my experience and many other Asian-Americans. I am a 2nd generation Asian-American who has grown up surrounded by white points of view, white narratives, and fundamentally white ideas.

As an American, I did not have the luxury of being completely immersed in my own Asian(Chinese)-culture because I was seen as American and I did not have the luxury as being completely immersed into "American"(White)-culture because I was seen as Asian.

While African-American culture, like you said is seen as a sub-culture, there was no identity for people like us. For us we were a perpetual Foreigner; unable to have something that was truly ours, and were torn between both worlds. In addition, growing up, as Americans we were not taught or just superficially touched upon of events that transpired between America and Asian nations that happened within the past 50 years; from WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War, and many ongoing events that enemy image Asians which fundamentally come back to haunt Asian-Americans.

There are numerous Asian-Americans out there who have never been told to forget or get over injustices against them because they are just completely unaware or have internalized white supremacy as a coping mechanism to fit into the dominant culture. Which I'm sure affects other minorities also.

2) I'm glad you brought this up; culture assimilation and appropriation. I really like your anecdotal story about your son and music, because I'm going to bring up a small story about appropriation of Asian-music for the dominant narrative. In this story, there is a television show for kids, about Korean-Pop, or K-pop. While it is an American take on it, the major characters on the show are Asian-American females and... white males. In fact the producer bluntly ("jokingly") stated he will never cast Asian-American males and has continuously done so to this day. [http://www.asamnews.com/2015/12/31/...-pop-strikes-sour-note-with-asian-americans/]
    I'm sure you can fit the pieces of puzzle together on what they are trying to drive in here, but like you said there is something being driven here that shows "whiteness" is better. This is just one of the many stories that illustrates propaganda being driven to disenfranchise our community.

I agree with your sentiments of the struggles of the black community, and what they are being told and how everything is setup to basically keep the system as is. I personally call this the Polite White Supremacy. [https://medium.com/@YawoBrown/the-s...lite-white-supremacy-3f83c907ffff#.jmjg1s9rk]
    And it affects everybody to a point where there a so many studies out there to show how bad things really are; especially for African-Americans. People just generally tend to ignore it, and like I said; many Asian-Americans internalize racism to a point of being very anti-black themselves. I'm not here to gather sympathy or support from members of the African-American community, nor am I here to speak for the Asian-American community. If I can promote some understanding between members of PoC's then I would say that's a good small step to something greater.

Personally though, I have many things to say about this topic but it is unpalatable to the general public. If I am around Houston sometime in the future, I'd love to share a beer with you to talk about the dynamics of society, Cheers and thank you for your comment!

1 person likes this.