1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interview with NFL mega-bust Charles Rogers

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by baller4life315, Aug 20, 2009.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4395967"/></object>

Interesting interview by Jemele Hill with former #2 overall pick Charles Rogers. You can hear in Rogers' own words explain his epic failure on the NFL level, what he learned from his experiences and how he plans to make a return to the NFL.

The NFL's Player Development Program should make viewing this interview mandatory.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Don't do drugs, and don't break your collarbone.

3. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I remember playing madden 2004 and trading for this guy. He was a stud (99 rating) for my franchise team for many years.

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Man it's a great thing Detroit picked up Charles Rogers intead of Andre Johnson. If detroit went for AJ, we would have picked up Rogers.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The next installment should be about Matt Millen and how he destroyed a NFL franchise.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think I remember reading that the Texans were going to pass up on Charles Rogers if Andre went second.

7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

You said a mouthful there, buddy.

8. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

"I got caught up in dat pill game" and "Yeah, I blew eryday"

.....I bet NFL teams are knocking on his door for that comeback he wants.

Way to sound remorseful for your mistakes CR!! Atleast Vick doesnt sound like a thug/drug dealer when he talks anymore.....

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Is there anybody that kills anything they touch more than Matt Millen? I have to believe that Rogers might have been better off in a better organization that surrounded him with the right people. Not to say it's the Lions fault, but that is a joke of an organization. I feel sorry for their fans.

I'm glad the Texans have a high standard for drafting character players.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There's something to be said for certain people needing to get away from home...from what's comfortable. He grew up in the Detriot area, played at Michigan St., and was drafted by the Detroit Lions. I'd be willing to bet that he would have been at least somewhat more successful had he ended up somewhere far away from home.

11. baller4life315

Perhaps in some cases. I think direct quotes like "I choked" and "I effed up" are more appropriate in this case.

Who here saw Rogers play in college and didn't think he had NFL superstar potential? Anybody?

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Great interview. I hope he gets a chance and makes the best of it.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I had him on my fantasy team, and he scored 2 TDs in his first NFL game. Broke his collarbone his first two seasons, then got busted for drugs, and everything just kept going downhill. He was an amazing talent. If he didn't get hurt, maybe he would have been the next Randy Moss.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Big deal the way he speaks doesn't mean he's not remorseful. He has a chance to show that he's remorseful by his actions.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Wow.

Look at the demeanor of CR vs. AJ side by side.

It isn't even close who is the more professional, grownup person and athlete.

How did the Lions bungle that one so bad?

16. baller4life315

Pretty much. Which is why it's easy for people to absolutely destroy Matt Millen in highsight instead of admitting how they saw the same player that dominated college competition and displayed every classic characteristic of a WR that has the potential to dominate the pro's as well.

It just stinks that Rogers was able to let injuries and drugs completely derail his career. I really think NFL rookies that go through the league's Player Developmental Program should be required to view this interview as an educational resource.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I've interacted with a lot of drug users/abusers and I would say he's still using.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Drafting a guy with crappy character and shoddy work ethic is a calculated risk. Those two things came home to roost for Millen, and he deserves every single bit of grief for it.

CR obviously did not try very hard to work himself back into shape or rehab after injury, and even worse than that, he let substance abuse (and some other off-field issues, apparently) completely derail his career.

He had a rock solid pro-bowler available in AJ, and he went with the sexy hometown pick instead who fell on his freaking face. (Sound familiar?)

Millen flat sucked, and deserved to get canned.

19. matrixReloaded

:eek: , what an idiot. Some people don't know how good they got it ... til it goes.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And the Texans kept Carr when we knew he sucked.