1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interview with David Carr on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 2, 2015.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

2. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For me, the only interview with David Carr that matters is what he said several years ago when asked what he learned from being with the Giants. His answer, "I learned from Eli Manning the cost of what it takes to be a successful QB in the NFL". The way the words came out, it was basically a confession he wasn't sold out on putting everything on the line while with the Texans.

It was brutally honest and I appreciated his candor.

4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Interesting... learned what it takes - didnt care enough to apply it after he left NY.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know why people trip about other people's opinions. He thinks the Texans will lose to the Bills, Patriots, and Colts. Is that really absurd? I am sure there are NFL.com analysts who thought the same. They also thought the Texans would lose to the Bengals, Jets, and Saints.

6. MystikArkitect

Much this. Basically insinuated that it was the Texans brass that didn't teach him how to prepare and learned it from the Giants.

Then did nothing with it afterwards. Always a loser.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...-derek-carr-learn-brother-david-busted-career :

By 2007, David was considered such damaged goods that the Texans had no choice but to release him. After a season in Carolina, he had two stints with the Giants, playing behind Eli Manning. The first time David met Archie, the patriarch of football royalty gave him a hug and said, "I know what you went through, man."

"I'm glad to see you're walking," David responded.

David's time in New York provided a crash course on how an elite quarterback prepares. He watched Eli take ownership of the offense as if he were a coach, working late on Mondays and Tuesdays, most players' days off. He watched how game-planning sessions unfolded under quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan, where questions flew and debates raged. It was everything David had been missing, and he realized that not knowing how to study had stunted his growth as much as leaky offensive lines did. Had he learned early on how to prepare, he says, "it would have been beneficial not only to myself but to the guys around me. Then you take more of an ownership of the team, and you're not just another guy in the locker room. You're a coach on the field. And that makes you a better player."

By the time he learned, it was too late. David wasn't signed after the Giants released him last August. Late in the season, he received an offer to be a backup -- at the exact moment he was at the doctor's office, where he learned that his 2-year-old daughter, Grace, had juvenile diabetes. He decided to be a dad, seemingly at peace with ending his career after 11 years, 65 touchdown passes, 71 interceptions and a 23-56 record as a starter. He spent fall weekends driving 110 familiar miles from Bakersfield to Fresno and watched from the sideline as Derek set 27 school records, breaking many of his own. He stayed up late with Derek after games, breaking down film. And when he began to hear the knocks on his brother -- the reports that ranked the quarterback with "the quickest release in the draft," in the words of one scout, as merely the fifth or sixth best at his position -- it became clear that Derek was paying for David's career.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't the story while Carr was a Texan that he put more focus on being a family man than developing as a QB. I remember complaints/rumors of complaints regarding him not putting in extra film and practice time. I'd like to think Chris Palmer would have taught him a thing or two about preparation.

Not knocking the guy for valuing family above all else. Just not totally buying the "if I'd only known" thing.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Chris Palmer had worked with QB's before. We're forced to believe that either Palmer didn't know how to prep a QB or that he did know and for some reason chose not to share that with Carr. Or of course, that Carr is what he is.

Carr came to be one of my least favorite players in Houston sports history...and a lot of that was due to the excuses made for him repeatedly.

10. Buck Turgidson

Yep. The whole "first guy to leave after practice" talk was pretty disgusting.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Black and white is easier; I don't think it's ever black and white, though. Palmer had previous success with QBs - but had never developed one (he inherited Bledsoe and Brunell) and was working under Parcells and Coughlin, both better head coaches than Dom Capers. So I definitely think he was a problem. Capers was a problem. The offensive line was a problem. The sacks, I think, became a problem. And, yes, David Carr was a problem.

And there are probably a dozen other obstacles thrown into the mix that led to his ultimate demise.

I think it ultimately takes a village - very few QBs are born elite. Environment, supporting cast, system, coaches, timing, luck....... how any ascend to the level of a Rodgers or a Brady is borderline miraculous, IMO.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">David Carr on Carson Wentz as the Browns' 2016 starter: &quot;I was in that boat (with Houston). You don't want to be in it. It's sinking.&quot;</p>&mdash; Chris Burke (@ChrisBurke_SI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisBurke_SI/status/713012036104491008">March 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Has Carr ever come out publicly and put any blame on himself?

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

No David Carr was trash

15. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

He's a pretty sorry dude. I actually get the Texans passing on Derek Carr because of David. If Derek turns out to be great so be it. Big brother was such a tool it wasn't even worth the risk.

16. Nook

Nook Member

David Carr didn't work hard.

He showed up on time when he was supposed to (with his family and father present) but he never stayed late and never showed any leadership abilities. He was well known to not do anything above and beyond what was his contractual requirement.

I am sure he is a decent person but he was not mentally an NFL QB.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Curious, I just went back and looked at the 2002 draft, you can see why we were so scared to ever pick a QB in top 5 again, there were some pretty amazing defensive players in that draft. Also, what a weak QB class to come into the NFL with... I mean if we were one year earlier, could have had Vick or Brees (i know Brees wasnt good til later) and one year later we could have had Palmer (I know that means no Andre)... Just interesting.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ha, yeah. I remember the debate for so long was who would be better, Carr or Joey Harrington. In the end they were both garbage.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Very similar situation to the 2011 class. The one with elite defensive players like watt and Sherman with QBs such as Locker and Ponder

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly.

Even after his career has been over, he's never owned up to it.

The guy was a mental midget, and it shows in the fact that he was never given another starting job after leaving here. Maybe we ruined him a bit, but he could have worked harder to capitalize on his talent.