1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interview Suits - Appropriate Blue?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cranberry_Juice, Jan 29, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ignore the people saying to wear black. As stated earlier, black is for funerals and formal events.

Dark navy is a solid choice. With a white or very light blue dress shirt. Wear a tie with some red in it. Would also work with a navy blazer and charcoal, grey, or khaki colored pants. Depending on the job and your personality.

Wear any shade of brown shoes.

"If you look good, you feel good. If you feel good, you play good. If you play good, they pay good. Now that's good." - Primetime

2. SexyButIgnorant

You're thinking about it too much. Doesn't matter how you look. If you're one charismatic man with a sense of know-how, the job is yours.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unless he wears black, in which case he's waiting tables, joined a rock band or someone has died.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Also, ignore the people saying that it doesn't matter how you look and what colors etc...

These things are subliminal, and first impressions are HUGE when it comes to interviewing. The fact that you're asking these types of questions speaks volumes and you're definitely on the right track.

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Yes get it tailored. It makes a huge difference. I got an off the rack slim cut suit tailored for a wedding and got probably 10-15 compliments about how good the suit looked. I felt like James Bond and I look for excuses to wear it now.

To echo a few tips: No pleats, no cuffs and get a slim/narrow cut and lapels and get it tailored. Go for a dark blue or charcoal. Buy 100% wool, it makes a difference.

You don't want to look like the guy on the left.
    [​IMG]

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Periwinkle Blue
    [​IMG]

8. conquistador#11

just take it easy with the socks. you don't want to give the impression you're higher than the boss.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I've worn a navy blue suit to every interview I've been on and have gotten a job offer every time. Granted your resume, experience, and interviewing skills come into play but I do look good in a navy blue suit.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

asian?

11. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I don't even own a black suit and I used to wear a suit to work every day for 5 years. Now I only wear golf polos, khakis and boat shoes. I'm on mobile so can't post emoticon with the sunglasses

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The studies are crap, but if you're wearing a suit then yes; a darkish navy blue, black, gray or charcoal are the only good colors.

Unless it's a law firm, government office, big 5 accounting or bulge bracket financial firm or bank, you can probably get away with dress slacks, tie/no tie, and a matching dress shirt; at which conversely enough may be any blue but navy.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Seriously though, black isn't good.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

charcoal or gtfo

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I'm in finance, and I go with blue shirt and black suit for interviews. For a conservative/traditional company, go with navy blue or black. For a tech company or startup, you can (and probably should) be more creative.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

make sure you show your bulge.

[​IMG]