1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[INTERVIEW] DARYL MOREY talks Draft, McGrady and Media 3-on-3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by raheel1560, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I like that we get a lot of calls for Tmac. Are you kiddin me?? Who would have thunk? I thought nobody is interested or few are interested in him??

Well, i am sure there are some awesome trade packages out there with this so many calls. Morey...c'mon man, just do it!! Tmac is washouted! He's useless at this point. We have Battier and Artest as our starting lineups and we can beat anybody because of our defense. We can't have Tmac in the lineup! You have got to trade him!!!

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

they don't want to set a set date (like last year) so tracy might have to rush his rehab or whatever. the timetable is LONG and WIDE. i still think he'll be back around december. but again, when you set a timetable like that, the team makes it feel like he won't be back for a while so stop worrying.

that's all it is.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I love the posturing by Morey, saying McGrady's still a big part of the team and we need him for the playoffs. As soon as the right deal comes along, Morey will be on TMac's doorstep ready to pack his bags and drive him out to IAH with a one-way flight on Continental.

If he were to say something stupid like "T-Mac's not part of our long-term plans" that would really plummet his value.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that's why we wait for the next tracy update.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Curious how Morey's TMac timeframe stretches to beyond the half-way point in the season. Does this have anything to do with baiting other teams with the insurance provision?

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Did he follow that up by saying T-Mac might suck next year, but not likely, more likely averaging anywhere from 5 to 25ppg?

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Thanks for posting, it was an entertaining listen!

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Morey said the Rockets are not shopping T-Mac -- they're only taking calls. Also, Bill Clinton did not inhale.

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

I hope we keep Brooks, Lowry, AND get Rubio. T-Mac and Ron can go be false and true warriors elsewhere-- I honestly believe losing those two would be a net + in team +/-. I wonder, though, whether DM's Rubio talk is a smoke screen, and his real target is a backup center.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

One of the main reasons Morey says that 2010 cap room is overrated is because the Rockets won't have much. Morey has assembled a great collection of talented young/role players in Battier, Scola, Brooks, Lowry and Landry (all of whom he mentioned as trade targets by other teams). Of course, the centerpiece of the team is Yao. Also, it is likely that the Rockets will retain Ron Artest. If Morey wants to keep all of those players on the team after next season, then the Rockets WILL NOT have enough cap room to sign any significant players. In fact, the likeliest scenario (again, if Morey wants to keep all of the aforementioned players on the team) will be that the Rockets have less than the MLE worth of cap space, meaning that the team would actually RENOUNCE its cap space in favor of the MLE.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but the Rockets will not have significant cap room SOLELY by letting T-Mac's contract expire. The team would need to trade 2 or more of the "core" supporting players in order to have enough cap room to make a run at the big name free agents next summer.

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIRxgTLa-rM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIRxgTLa-rM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

They said the would know when he would be able to come back in July. So we have to wait.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wish we could have got clarification on the tmac and insurance paying his salary issue. Or has that been cleared up?

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I do believe I read an article in the past few days saying he was 80% covered by insurance while out. Dont quote me on it, but I do think that is the deal.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A high interest in McGrady's expiring contract doesn't necessarily mean that they are getting offers for quality players in return.Houston will have to take back baggage plus players who are still productive with long contracts for him IMO.

16. albuster

albuster Member

If what Mr. Morey said about McGrady is true and not a smokescreen to inflate his trade value, then his Moreyball does not measure heart. It also does not measure the past 10 years. Frankly, I am about to throw up from what he said.

17. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Clutch, do you have any insight as to what the offers are like? Should we see this more of a get rid of #1 or will the Rockets get exceptional value for him?

18. Rocketrock

Rocketrock Member

Great point!

Does that means if we sign Ron and won't have enough cap space for next year anyway, so other teams will take adavantage of it and Tmac's value will down.

If that's the case, we may see Tmac got traded before Ron's signing?

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Thanks Raheel! Being out of the City I love the heads up about the interviews.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He is just doing his job as a GM. He won't say Tmac is on the way out because all that would do is let everyone know the Rockets are desperate to get rid of him. It's actually pretty funny because everyone in the NBA knows McGrady won't play for the Rockets again but Morey will never admit that even though he knows that everyone knows he is lying.LOL

For anyone thinking the team wants McGrady back just go back and look at what Adelman and Morey said about him last season. We are talking about two of the most professional, classy guys in the game yet I distinctly remember in a radio interview where Morey was asked about McGrady and his response to sigh heavily and reply "don't bring up McGrady." Meanwhile, Adelman even had enough and called McGrady out publicly for using Stephen A. Smith to alert the world about his choice to have surgery.

Adelman and Morey may be playing politically correct but they have not forgotten how McGrady handled things. His fate was sealed the minute the Rockets advanced into the second round if not on the day he announced his surgery to everyone but the team.