1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[INTERVIEW] DARYL MOREY talks Draft, McGrady and Media 3-on-3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by raheel1560, Jun 22, 2009.

1. lxnew2000

lxnew2000 Member

Interesting, thx for sharing.
    Can't wait for the draft, long off season ~!~

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

The impression I got is that they're willing to trade T-Mac for the right deal but it's really going to have to be the right deal. They're not going to trade him just for the sake of getting rid of him.

3. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I wonder how much the Rockets will lose in Mcgrady merchandise this year. With him on the brink, I doubt they sell 50 jerseys all year at retail price.

4. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Damn.. Between December and March??? wow. If it gets to March he is basically out for the season which makes signing Ron Artest more likely. Even Von Wafer if they want to go that far.

For them to say the knee surgery wasn't like all the other micro-fracture surgery that is a pretty long time to expect him to come back. If it wasn't that serious he should at least be ready at the start of the season or miss at least preseason or something.

Im glad the Host knows what he is talking about and pleaded not to trade McGrady for Hughes and Mobley. Thats a smart man :D :D

Last if I was Brooks and Lowry I would be a little bit worried. For 2 guys who busted their butts I wonder why Morey is so eager to draft a pg. You have 2 young guys growing already. Usually teams carry 3 pgs but I would think the best move is to bring in a veteran pg so he can mentor Brooks and Lowry just like Deke did with Yao.

5. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Great to hear that a lot of teams are inquiring about Tmac. I am also glad that the Rockets still believes in Tmac and hopes He still produces for the team. As Morey said, The team needs someone like Tmac who can take charge during end games.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Be still my beating heart!

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Seriously though... you hanging in there?

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I think the Rockets are playing the "we don't need you, but we could use you" game. I love that. Its about time T-mac was given an ultimatum and finally had no one else to hide behind. Morey has the right idea about T-mac's situation. He will field all calls and see what offers are made. However, NO stupid Knicks trades for scrubs and filler.

Listening to Morey, you get the vibe that T-mac will only get traded if we get a high draft pick back or a very promising/underrated all-star back. Like he said, if the Lafrentz contract was super-expiring, then the T-mac contract is Ultra-expiring. With that being said, I'd love to see Caron Butler in a rockets uniform!

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Morey mentioned that anyone who claims they have a good idea of when T-mac will be back is lying. So take any time-table with a grain of salt.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

As an example of how deep this PG crop is in this draft, Ty Lawson might go in the 20s and in my personal opinion he's probably a overall better player than both Brooks and Lowry. Mind you that is my opinion nothing more, I like Brooks and Lowry but your assertion that they should be a little worried may be spot on.

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

That's what I like :) thanks.

But december to march... I am like wtf...?

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Adelman must be thrilled with the possibility of McGrady returning between December and March. We know how he loves to make significant lineup changes late in the season. :rolleyes:

I really hope we can get .50 cents on the dollar for McGrady this summer from a team looking toward 2010. Waiting until the trade deadline to move him and bring in a new player(s) would likely create similar chemistry problems to McGrady returning late in the season. Not moving him at all would result in a talent void.

Ideally, Morey works some magic on draft day to unload him.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

The most important thing I heard was, to him, TMAC's value remains extremely high, because not only is he a 'super expiring', but he will likely return this season and want to play for a contract. And you couple that with him saying that cap room in 2010 is overrated, and if we have players under contract by then who can play, then he'll be ok with that, I can see us trading TMAC for people with longer contracts....as long as they can play.

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Morey said that is the window, and really nobody knows when though.

15. 1RocketMac11

1RocketMac11 Member

To be clear, Morey didn't specifically say that would be when McGrady would come back. As shastarocket said, Morey mentioned to take any timetable with a grain of salt since frankly no one knows and anyone claiming they did would be lying. He mentioned that he could even be back by the start of the season, though likely a longshot, and maybe the more realistic scenario is in December.

Morey knows as much as us, nothing.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Morey knows more than us, a lot more.

He's the GM, bro. He gets paid to know what's going on.

There is always uncertainty with an injury but Morey's uncertainty is always far less less than that of us fans on the internet. He has more details than he's sharing in an interview. He speaks to doctors, trainers and McGrady, himself, etc...

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have this mental image of McGrady rushing it and something like last season occurring all over again. I'd pay to be wrong, though.

18. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Yea but he also said that this is the type of injury that some guys never come back from. With McGradys glass body I would rather get something for him now.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thanks for the recaps.

Yeah. Lots of pain, but I'm getting out of the hospital in a couple hours.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good Post.