1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Internet] AT&T U-verse - Disable IPv6

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

I have been irritated by my AT&T internet for a while now. I was browsing the AT&T forums and I saw some posts about IPv6 causing connectivity issues. I logged into my router interface and turned it off. Now web browsing feels wayyy snappier...and pages load on first attempt.

"It is quite simple, login to the gateway web management interface at 192.168.1.254. Then go to "Home Network" tab, then "Configure"...it's a drop down box."

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How did it irritate you? I'm wondering if I, too, should feel irritated.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

what is IPv6?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Internet Protocol version 6. Most people prefer to stay on version 5, since 6 has some glitches. You should switch back to that, if you are on 6. And if you are on IPv4, you need to upgrade, if you want to get on the faster Internet.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I don't use AT&T Uverse. How did this affect me? I would like faster internet speeds.

6. Bob Barker 007

Comcast internet speeds are sometimes affected by the default security protocol. This is especially a problem with gaming systems like the PS4.
    Type in 192.168.100.1. Login info: user is "admin," password is "password." You can switch the security from WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) to WPA-TKIP. Your gaming systems should work much better after that.

Comcast's only options for internet protocol are IPv4 and IPv6, at least for me.

7. heypartner

That's for WiFi.

For best gaming speed, why not just use Local Area ethernet connection vs WiFi all together.

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

AES is going to be faster than TKIP or mixed TKIP. In fact, I highly do not recommend what you posted at all.

WPA2-AES is what you want for security, and speed.

However, for gaming you want to be hardwired

#8 Scionxa, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  9. Scionxa

I agree with you on the Ethernet connection but you can technically have a 1.5MB DSL line and still be able to game. It's all about latency

10. Scionxa

You using an NVG 599?

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I really dont recommend this. Its best to hardwire any perm. device.

There is no IPv5. it was a joke.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

NVG589.

13. Scionxa

I would also try to hit up AT&T and pretend the modem isn't powering up. They'll send you a 599. Really solid device for it to be the gateway given to consumers.

I'm on Gigapower with the NVG599 but I have it in IP Passthrough mode to an Ubiquite EdgeRouter Lite, and then I use my own AP from there. I'm pretty content with it.

I also have IPV6 disabled in the gateway btw.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Hmm...I wonder if they will give it to regular customers not on gigapower.

I have turned off WiFi on the ATT modem. I have a Meraki MR18 that sits in the middle of the APT that's only broadcasting 5ghz. I turned off 2.4 because there's like 30+ 2.4ghz networks...some of them are on conflicting channels like 2,3,4 etc.

Unfortunately the 5ghz doesn't carry signals too far. I don't have another 5ghz access point I can hook up but if I get that 599, I can use that along with the Meraki. hmmmmmm who do i call?

15. Scionxa

They will, I had it before I got Gigapower, and my mother who is on VDSL based Uverse has it. I would just call tech support and say that the modem doesn't power on, and that you checked the electricity. They should mail you a 599 or the new PACE 802.11 AC. But yeah, the 599 is a 1600mbps AC router so you can use the two combined.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

True... For best/consistent latency go hardwired. Wireless is great for other things but in a first person shooter it's the difference between life and death, lol... Or a lost connection if you have a ****ty wireless setup...

17. Scionxa

I didn't support wireless for gaming in my statement

18. heypartner

I big gamer friend of mine (also a fellow CompSci/programmer) told me the same thing. Early on, he always went with DSL vs cable because it had the best latency in the final mile. Not sure if that's still the case. I'm no gamer.

19. Scionxa

For AT&T DSL it used to be the case but when they went VDSL for Uverse, it added interleaved profiles which made latency about 15ms worse.

If in an ADSL area, the latency will be better.

Otherwise, Cable and FTTP have better latency than VDSL.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Called ATT and told them to send me something with 5ghz. They said they will ask the warehouse to send the NVG599. Should be here tomm I think.

*fingers crossed*