1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Yankees having Buyers remorse???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SKYGODZ187, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Thats the only real flaw I see with the Yanks, they don't take real risks with talented pitchers with a mechanics issue (Astros with Verlander, Cole) and hope their superior coaching can fix them, yet they won't go all in for a proven ace with no risk for extra cost (Sox with Sale). Tanaka and Severino are nice pitchers, but trotting them out against the likes of Sale and Verlander might as well be conceding game 1 of any series.

If I were them I'd inquire the likes of Noah Syndergaard (the best 2nd starter on a bad team in the majors) and hope taking him away from the Mets' shitty med staff saves his career. Sherzer and Strausburg could be available after Harper leaves Washington. Perhaps they pull off a move for Blake Snell coming off a Cy Young worthy season. Opportunity beckons for the Cashman, he just needs to take risks and swing for the fences, or go all in in proven talent.

Shout out to grammar for title, one colon is the difference between calling the following topic of the Yankees having buyers remorse Interesting, and the verbal diarrhea I see before me, implying only Interesting Yankees have buyers remorse.

#21 Swiss Roll, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Senator likes this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

*Brent Strom has been a blessing to watch, his personality reminds me of Verlander. The way he is personable, upbeat voice. His videos on youtube on pitching is impressive. A Former Pitcher himself

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is they get Corbin and either Eovaldi or Keuchel.

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jameson Taillon, Blake Snell, Noah Syndergaard, could be traded.
    For the Astros 1B Paul Goldschmidt and C J.T. Realmuto can be a huge upgrade.

5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I believe J.T. Realmuto of the Marlins should be a priority target wright out the gate.

Then look for that SP. And maybe a reliver arm or two.
    Must look for the OF.

But as I said before.

You could probably move Yuli out and have White full time 1B.

I think your stuck with Reddick for atleast next year.

You have to figure out Correra... Do you make him available for a player like DeGrom? And move Bregman back to SS?

I mean these are real questions you have to look at.

McCann and Gattis have to go for the money they are wanting....

Marwin will take the money and run this could very well be his last overall big contract...
    DALLAS Keuchal is the same way. Let him go to the Yankees. So what. Get those picks.

But to me. CORRERA situation has to be answered.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Correra question must be answered!

Who the **** is Correra?

:D

Nimo and Nippystix like this.
  7. Senator

Senator Member

What you need to realize is...instead of wasting your time on fantasy scenario's like Stanton's mega contract that can never leave NY, Boston or LA... Correa is valuable because he won't be getting paid until 2022. Ie team control where he will be massively underpaid for his output for 3 more seasons. Considering he's had 3 good seasons and 1 poor so far (still outperformed his salary), he will get the benefit of the doubt for another year or two.

DeGrom is in line for a 6 year, $180 million contract this December if the Mets buy out his final year of arbitration. Or a much bigger contract next December. Easy for the Yankees or Sox or Dodgers to deal with, but not Astros. While you can get Verlander and Morton to resign for less than their output because of their age and the fact they don't want to leave a potential dynasty with great clubhouse energy, + the fact Verlander has already earnt $300 million, when you deal with younger pitchers... they will go where the $ is.

That is what makes a cost controlled guy like Bregman so much more valuable to a smaller market than someone about to get paid like Chris Sale -- even though he's put up Cy Young numbers the past 2 seasons, and been top 5 in Cy Young voting the past 7.

8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What I'm saying is Morton retires.
    Keuchal leaves via FA

Marwin leaves FA

ASTROs let McCann, Gattis, Sipp, Harris and Stassi walk.

Your left with 60 million to spend.
    Springer is up first.
    You still have plenty of money to go after a couple prime players.
    ANDREW MILLER for instance. With Strom guiding him he could turn it around.

But you would still need to look at 1 more SP. Sure you have Valdez, James and Whitley. But I would bet only 2 out of that makes it. MCcullers wont go back to the Starting pitcher spot. So as I said before you would need 1 more player.

The Astros have to figure out Carlos Correas issues. There is no LFer beside Kemp. You have to plan for Reddick gone maybe after next year. Tucker could be expendable if you could get Realmuto.

Then you look at Yuli. Can you trade him?
    And move White to full time 1B?

Would a move of Bregman back to SS and Correa to 3B be a need?

Alot of questions after this season

9. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

The Astros can’t let all their FA go without a drop off.

Agree keuchel will be hard to keep and Gattis isn’t a plus player so whatever.

However, I think Morton and Marwin are guys they need to keep given their WAR value and playoff success. McCann won’t command big bucks at his age. If they can’t land a good catcher in FA Mccann might be a guy you want to keep.

Trading correa right now would be a huge mistake as you’d be trading a guy very close to his low point. They aren’t paying correa big bucks yet so it’s not a crisis.

Reddick would be a good guy to move to shed some salary and clear room for Kyle tucker. Reddick is solid but underperforming relative to contract size and that hurts a teams chances.

If they repeat, it only makes sense to minimize roster turnover and maintain the phenomenal chemistry they have.

The Beard likes this.
  10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

If they repeat those FA will be gone.

I think Morton raps it up after this year

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Morton has said more than a few times in interviews that retirement is on his mind, but he would pitch another year or two and only for the Astros. Hes not interested in changing teams again and he loves the guys in this clubhouse.

12. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

I don't get the hate for Reddick. Plays excellent defense and a lefty for the lineup Also the only guy always running out the grounders that has led to rallies
    I hope they let Keuchel go, try to keep marwin . Try to talk Charlie into another year or two.

Fyreball, AB423 and No Worries like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Nobody does.

Fyreball likes this.
  14. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Agreed. They'll need to address catcher. Probably very good odds that next year's starting catcher isn't on this year's roster. All in all, we're in a far better position than most other teams.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Morton has made 40 million dollars in his career. He is at the least looking at a qualifying offer for 17.9 million from the Astros, or a 2 year deal that will nearly double his career earnings. That guaranteed money will be hard to pass up.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Maybe a certain demographic or mindset doesn’t like guys prancing around in their underwear? NTTAWWT.