1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Less Talked About Free Agents This Summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Patterned919, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

We speculate mostly about Dwight and CP3, but there's a decent number of options this summer that could make us immediately better and would be great pickups. We could move some of our current contracts around and make way for some of these other players. Who stands out to you?

Trevor Ariza(player option)
    Andray Blatche
    O.J. Mayo(player option, most likely opting out)
    Andre Iguodala(player option, has said he'll probably test the market)
    Tony Allen
    J.J. Redick
    Chalmers(team option, Miami will most likely take it)
    Monte Ellis(player option)
    Mike Dunleavy
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    J.R. Smith(player option, most likely opting out)
    Kevin Martin
    Andrew Bynum
    J.J. Hickson
    Tiago Splitter
    Al Jefferson
    Paul Millsap
    Emeka Okafor
    Josh Smith
    Kyle Korver

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

I'm all for getting Trevor Ariza. We saw back in 09 that he's very capable of scoring in bunches and he's the perimeter defender that we desperately need.

Him and Harden running the fast break? Scary.

3. RocketPowerNick

What about Pau Gasol?

Get him, get rid of Beverly, T-Rob, Parsons.

He could help Harden and Lin SOO much. Make a big 3.

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Parsons isn't going anywhere!

5. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Desperately need some toughness, defense on the wings, and another veteran presence.

Tony Allen

Although he's so vital to Memphis, I see them going all out to retain bring him back, unless they decide to blow it up next year.

He also doesn't exactly fit what this team wants on offense, but I think there will be some big changes to everything next season regardless.

I'd also seek out a veteran point guard to mentor Harden & Lin, similar to what Kidd & Billups do for their respective teams.

For pf, I'm a little skeptical on the free agent crop, as there's no telling how they will perform after getting paid big money. Specifically Millsap and Smith.

I'd stick to what we have, develop T-Rob, and find a better solution during the season. If McHale is still here, I pray we ditch this offense and start throwing the ball into post, let these guys get experience banging in the paint, and practicing their passing.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Some of those guys you are going to pay way too much for...like JR Smith.

A defender like Ariza or Allen would be nice...doubt Ariza would like to come here though knowing that at any moment he could then be traded to the bobcats or something.

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Haven't seen those four mentioned at all yet. ;)

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Mike Dunleavy is a fine role player that would appear to fit the Rockets value. If the market dries up and he's available for Delfino money he's somebody I very well could see the Rockets looking at him.
    He's not on your list, but I think there's a decent chance Garcia will be back for ~BAE money.

I like Josh Smith and think there could be mutual interest, but Smith's market is really tough to gauge and with the Rockets generally airing on the side of caution and guys like Bosh and Pau, among others (there's this guy named LeBron I think), about to become free agents in 2014, the Rockets may not be willing to offer him quite enough money.

These other guys will most likely be too pricey for the Rockets liking. Some of them I don't see the Rockets being interested in at all. Okafor won't be a free agent.

#8 HMMMHMM, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

any idea how much al-farouq aminu would cost?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You need a 3rd great player to make a big 3.

11. rockets13champs

if we dont get smith bynum or dwight
    i suppose we sign blatche, Reddick and Ariza that would be good small moves to help the team.

C Asik, Blatche
    Pf smith, robinson, jones, donatas
    Sf parsons, Ariza
    Sg Harden Reddick
    Pg lin Beverly, 33rd pick maybe

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No need to talk about the lesser players.

Dwight will come here if he wants to have a chance to win next year.

Morey played this perfectly. He wanted Dwight badly but did not bite on a deal. He knew he wouldn't resign unless we had a second star at least. He got 1A first and will make Dwight 1B. This in my opinion will not be the only move we make. The Rockets will be the favorites out of the West next season.

We have the best GM in basketball and it's not even close. Presti is great but he let Harden go and he should have just bit the bullet and paid the luxury. The Thunder were set for the next 10 years and the cap will go up and up making penalties less severe. Bufford is also great but so would anyone who drafted the best Power Forward of all time and kept for nearly two decades.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There are 2 players Morey will look at on that list and try are Tony Allen and Igoudala and the only reason why is because they are the 2 of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Morey will stand pat this summer and wait until 2014.

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We need to push the thunder to 7 games and then Dwight will recognize out potential.

16. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

P-A-U-L M-I-L-L-S-A-P

Post Play and defense are what gets you championships, AKA our weaknesses and why were getting embarassed in the playoffs.. hmm playing no defense and chunking up threes doesnt work in the playoffs.. whaaaa?????? As much as i think D-Ho is terrible we still need him and also need to completely change to a defensive mindset to be legit.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Honestly think Pau gets shat on wayy too much. Hes still immensely skilled, Doesnt have a history of injury. That contract is expiring, but morey does know better..

18. awc713

awc713 Member

LOL.

NO CHANCE we drop Parsons, and I really doubt we drop Beverly or T-Rob.

T-Rob has far too much potential and Beverly...well he's clearly made a name for himself in Houston.

I think we will go after a 4, or a stretch 3 that we can play small with. This teams NEEDS a PF while we wait for T-Rob, Donuts, Greg, and TJones to solidify themselves.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

/ never thought of korver on the rockets but he would be dirty...i dont think we will or should get him because he can ONLY shoot...but damn he would rain threes in this system

20. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

get the ipads ready

1 person likes this.