1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Draft Info: Brandon Roy, Rockets moving down...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Outlier, Jun 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Is it really? You think they really care enough about the 43rd pick in a draft like this that they wouldn't throw it in to move up to 8 if they REALLY wanted a guy?

For all intents and purposes, it's pretty much the 8 & 32 for 12 & 15 anyway.

2. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Agreed.
    Not so fast. Do you really think Luther fits in well with this team? I see him doing much better in a place like Washington or Milwaukee, playing a Mo Williams type role. He really doesn't fill any of our needs besides perimeter shooting, and he's an undersized shooter at that. Doesn't have the handle or court vision to play the 1 consistently, and gets killed whenver he matches up with a 6'6+ SG. His stock is probably as high as it will EVER be right now, we definitely need to look at what the market has to offer for him... and get a player more suited to fill our needs.

3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

In 2001 we traded the 13th, 18th, and 23rd pick for a 7th pick. Ohh yes its possible.

4. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Actually I do. He is a combo guard that can be a six man. He give us depth and scoring in the backcourt. He is quick and I think his defense will improve. We need young blood in the backcourt. He passes well for a shooting guard and unselfish. He also played well when forced to start in his rookie year. All in all, I happy with him and want to keep him unless we really have a nice offer for him.

5. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

He is quick in the open court, but in the half court his role is relegated to a camper. Doesn't have the lightning quick first step a guard his size needs to succeed in this league. Not really able to penetrate and his court vision is average at best. Cmon, I like the guy, but would trade him for Ager or Brewer in a heart beat.

6. ClutchCityReturns

So true.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love it as well. My problem is that my life is so hectic, that I just don't get to see much college ball anymore. The Rocks? Almost every game live, and DVR for the rest of them. (or R2K for those I forgot to program... thanks!)

I end up depending on Clutch and ClutchFans for a large part of my draft info. I learn a great deal from sifting through the differing opinions, and links, members provide us with here, and Clutch's profiles. Still trying to come up with a mock draft, lol! Having a lot of fun finding out about our possibilties, though. Will we move up? Move down? Go for best available player, regardless of position? Fill a need? (damn near impossible not to be able to fill a need... we need everything except a 5 and a 3, and we really need a 3 to backup Tracy, if he gets hit with the "I" word, god forbid)

I also love the trade speculation. :cool:

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I love it too. My problem is that I hate college basketball so I haven't seen alot of these guys play except for the Reddicks, Morrisons, and Gays of the world.

The Rockets are fortunate though, I think. Most of the sh*tty teams that make these annual trips to the lottery are loaded with swingman type athletes. They're thinking, "great, another lottery." That's why they have to gamble and trash big men that end up sucking every year. Because that's their only hope to break free.

We already have the great big man. We already have the superstar scorer. I wouldn't mind having Chris Paul but I think Rafer will prove to be an adequate point guard. These dime-a-dozen swingmen that every team and the draft is loaded with are our biggest need. Even adding the worst of these guys is a HUGE upgrade when you consider that David Wesley and Ryan Bowen play big minutes on this team.

That's why I'm excited. Because I'm confident that whoever we draft will play a huge role on this team.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree Luther Head shouldn't be considered untouchable by any means, and further, that the Rockets would be fools to not consider including him in a deal if the price is right. However, I strongly disagree that he doesn't fill any of the Rockets needs. I'd argue that he fills the Rockets most dire need right now - the need for talent. We're sorely lacking in it, he has it. When that truth is as evident as it is, all of the other factors are nearly irrelevant.

10. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Most of the Head trade discussions I have seen were having him as a through in like #8 & Head for #12 & #15. They did not involve Head for #12 staright up. That is what I am having problem with. I am sure Ager and Brewer have their fair share of faults as well. I have not seen either play.
    Ager is 6'4" so he is 1 inch longer than Head. I like to add Brewer but not at the expense of Head.

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

In a draft like this? You mean one that isn't top-heavy but has plenty of quality depth all the way through to the 2nd round? Yes, I do think they wouldn't throw it in to move up to #8...simply because if we don't have anyone targeted at the #8, they most likely don't either...unless they want to reach for a Shelden or O'Bryant...

12. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

After reading Ager's profile by Clutch, I can not see how Ager is an improvement over Head if that. I think Head is better all around player from what I read. I am quoting the weakness for Ager:

"Like Mobley, Ager can get shot-happy and is not an outstanding passer, as evidenced by his upside-down assist-turnover ratio as a senior. Outside of scoring and shooting, he will have a lot of work to do at the pro level to become a consistent rebounder and defender".

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Head's only negative is that he is short. He has ideal height for a PG but really plays better off the ball. While Ager is only 2 inches taller, a 6'5" SG will almost always have the advantage over a 6'3" SG.

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

There will be someone who drops to #8, who either we want or NO wants. NO's greated need is at center, and there's no way that O'Bryant will fall to their 12 pick. If he's there, then I think they'll trade. But, if Roy, Tyrus, Morrison, or Gay fall, I think the Rocket's would prefer to keep their pick. The question mark would probably be Williams, and I think the Rockets would still take him, since he's rated the best PG in this draft.

So, the bottom line, is if O'Bryant is there, I believe that trade could happen, due to their need, and if he's there, it means one of the higher rated players didn't fall to us, and we'd be better off with 2 second tier players, one of Carney, Redick, Foye, Brewer, Rondo, and one of Simmons and S.Williams.

At 32, I'd love it if someone like Rudy Fernandex fell to us

15. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

On some sites Ager was listed as 6'4". Even with the height advantage over head, he does not seem as well rounded player as Head is. That is why I am all for drafting Brewer for defending taller shooting guards while keeping Head. I am not going to trade Head for Ager just for the sake of trading.

16. ClutchCityReturns

I see it as a draft that has good prospects until about 8, above average prospects until about 18, drops down to average prospects through the first few picks of the second round, then the rest of the way down it's filled future journeymen/12-man types.

My point is that in this particular draft, the difference between #8 and #12 is likely to be huge and fear of losing the #43 pick certainly shouldn't keep New Orleans from pulling the trigger on a guy they REALLY want. Since you mentioned it, yes, they are rumored to be very intersted in Shelden Williams.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Hey, sorry, but what is the draft date again?

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Height is one of the knocks on Ager as well. I like Luther a lot but I understand that he may never be more than a good role player, which is great for a #24 pick, but Ager has more potential in that he is more of a natural scorer.

19. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

So if you have the chance to trade Luther Head for Maurice Ager straight up will you do it or does that depend on who the Rockets draft.

20. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I like #15 and JR for #8 and #32.