1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting comments from Yao on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OddsOn, Jul 16, 2006.

1. jlwee

jlwee Member

Winning and making the playoffs solve all problems!

When the rockets make the playoffs, all the posters here will call JVG genius and GOD else JVG is GOAT!

2. Jd1

Jd1 Member

I don't think making the playoffs will make JVG a genius. I'd call him a genius if the Rockets make it to the Finals.

3. einstein

einstein Member

or avery johnson

4. einstein

einstein Member

Nope, any coach can make it to the playoffs with Yao and T-Mac. The question is how far can we get in the playoffs and who we are matching up against.

Just because a person knows physics doesnt make them a good professor.
    Same principle can be applied to coaching basketball.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

man...it always pleases me to see heypartner post these days....combine that with some very good posts from one of my favorite new posters(you)...adn this thread makes me feel kinds funny inside..;)

really wanted to add something...but you and OddsOn have about covered everything.
    guess Im just posting to say thanks for your reasonable posts in this time of trial in GARMland.

6. jerrios

jerrios Member

who really knows what is going on behind the scenes. we can only judge what the rockets have done recently that is made available to us. with that said, either JVG or CD are idiots. we have no direction. JVG's reliance on vetarans on their last tank of gas is really costing us: sura, wesley, anderson, barry, ward. We're trading away our young guys to get veterans that can't produce beyond 2 or 3 years. We owe Charlie Ward 1.5 million this season. Sura is owed 3.8 million this season and next. Alson contract expires 09-10 where he's gonna be owed around 5 million. howards contract expires in 08-09 making over 7 million. Veterans costs more than rookies and if you're thinking about the health of a team you have to look long-term. Luther Head on the other hand is signed through 09-10 making only 2.8 million. So my point is that instead of investing so much money in veterans we could have some rookies still on their rookie salaries. and i dont think head produced any less than wesley and definitely produced more than sura and ward for about half the price. now i dont know if rudy gay was gonna turn out to be a superstar or just a decent player in this league. it would have been nice to find out. that is nothing against battier, he's a damn good player that always plays hard. but to potentially trade away our future that could be a decent player this year with a smaller amount invested in him. thats not good management nor good player evaluation.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

7. akuma

akuma Member

Yao's already talking in the third person? ;)

8. Ryan Bowen MVP

Is the book worth buying?

9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

You set the bar quite low for a team which has Yao and Tmac on it.

A playoff appearance and a first round exit of the Atlanta Hawks will probably earns Mike Woodson a new three years contract with a pay raise.

A playoff appearance and a first round exit of the Houston Rockets will probably earns JVG a pink slip (not what I want to happen but that's what I think will happen under the circumstance).

#29 RocketForever, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  10. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I bought it and I liked it.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Have you seen the Year of the Yao movie. If you liked that film, you would probably like the book. I read the book and enjoyed it, though I didn't buy it. I got it from the Library.

12. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Thanks man... looking forward to more discussion in the season. Hopefully, everyone will calm down a bit when the Rockets show what they can do.

13. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Oh heck yes. Provides some great insight into Yao's life, his motivations, dreams, upbringing, etc.

Thanks for the props R2K. I figured the GARM needed a little level discusion with all the negative posts and when I came across that in the book while looking for the other stuff it just seemed right. ;)