1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting article on Astros/Drew Stubbs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Buck Turgidson

That's exactly what went down. MLB approves every contract signed by drafted players.

2. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

3. Buck Turgidson

They - like fellow Owl 1st round starters Kenny Baugh, Jon Skaggs and Phil Humber - had major arm surgery shortly after leaving Rice. Don't know what Wayne's putting in the water over there.

4. Buck Turgidson

Also, Drew Stubbs struck out 205 times in 203 career games at UT.

5. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

8th Pick, Cincinnatti Reds.....Drew Stubbs

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i don't blame the astros for not being able to sign him, but crap! now he gets to play AGAINST us.

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I see players like the guy that was just named freshman of the year (Pedro Alvaerez from Vanderbilt) offered around $750k out of high school in the 14th round by Boston. Are we the only team not allowed to pay more?????

I also see the Astros giving Koby Clemens a 380k bonus out of high school. I remember looking at the kinds of bonus players get (because I had a friend drafted a couple of rounds before Koby) and it seems like 380k would be out of the proper pay slot for an 8th rounder.

The chronicle article mentions that some teams ignore how much they SHOULD pay a player. If we are allowed to ignore those numbers, why not sign Drew. That article sounds like we wanted to, but then we listened to MLB. If the other teams don't listen to MLB, why do we?

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

It just seems insane that other teams can pay more than they are supposed to, but we can't??

I hope Astros complained to MLB about that.

9. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

You are missing the point. There is no rule in place that says that the Astros couldn't have signed Drew for the amount they promised him initially. Drayton, under pressure from Selig, decided to go back on the deal I assume to stay in the comissioner's good graces. That decision was all on Drayton.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is exactly what the case was. I believe that there were some other dealings that Drayton was going to need the comissioner's help with. It's a shame that we didn't get Stubbs back then. I also believe that the Astros didn't want to set the precedent that they can be strong armed by high schoolers.

11. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

countingcrow..

Eh, I'm not missing the point really. That is exactly how I feel too. I'm just saying, does the MLB bug these other teams?

If there is no rule in place, then I can blame the Astros. We could have had him signed, but we didn't .. despite the fact that there is no rule against us paying him that much????

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

There is no "rule" in place.

I suggest you look at some historical baseball drafts. Every year players drafted later are given much bigger bonuses than their slotted position.

That said, I believe Drew Stubbs will be a bust. He chokes when the spotlight's on.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's the elephant in the corner. a bunch of people who likely haven't seen drew stubbs play an inning of baseball b****ing about the astros not overpaying to get him. classic.

14. Summer Song Giver

I got one for you why not institute some sort of rookie pay scale along with a good cap, it would eliminate things like suggestions from the commish which can then be ignored at your whim, pretty pointless.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While I do agree that something like that should be done, U do realize that the MLB players union is stronger than any other faction in professional sports... some of the concessions that other unions have made (like the WEAK NBA and NFL ones) have been summarily crushed by the likes of Fehr and co.

Plus, the draft is such a minor issue (literally and figuratively) to MLB... its barely a blip on the radar, and thus they're not going to mess with it. Plus, they still give out the compensatory picks (which are more valuable than having a high draft pick alone), when a team loses a high-class FA.

16. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

riet. I know there is no rule in place. That is my point, if there is no rule in place.. why are we letting someone tell us we can't give that much money...

and are they telling this to other teams too?

17. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

In my opinion, the whole Bud Selig told Drayton not to pay Stubbs is complete BS. I think it was just smoke screen propaganda by McLane, or whoever as an excuse of why the Astros did not sign Stubbs - especially after Stubbs projected as atop pick.

Like I said, many draftees say they'll go to college, they fall in the draft,, then some team gives the player an outrageous sum of money, and they sign.

It happens every single year so for McLane or anyone else to suddenly cower at all powerful Bud Selig is a joke.

In the end, it may never come back to haunt the Astros because Drew Stubbs has not played well when it mattered the most.

McLane is all about PR and he's using Selig as an excuse of why the Astros couldn't sign the local all american boy.

Drayton is the human version of the Simpson's Mr. Burns.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure the Isotopes didn't have the third highest payroll in the league.

Drayton haters will never stop. It's sad and embarassing when the guy everyone loves to criticize is paying a payroll of over $100 million. They'll come up with any excuse to b**** and moan even if the evidence is slapping them in face. And Atlanta, TX, is not local by any means.

Whaaa. :rolleyes:

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, and this guy may never play a single inning of a major league game......

DD

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Our average salary has always been somewhere between 12-18.

I suggest you look at the "evidence" as soon as Roger Clemens retires and Drayton kills off Jeff Bagwell to avoid his $19 million payday.

Excuse me if I don't believe a one or two year bump to sell tickets and the inability of the Astros to dump Bagwell is a commitment to spending (not that he has to, it's his money- just like Mr. Burns has his right).

I''ll match your whaaa with a baaa :rolleyes: ....... like blind sheep

#40 RIET, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006