1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Intangibles Over Statistical Stardom: Houston Rockets' Chandler Parsons Over the Toronto Raptor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sparky, Oct 18, 2013.

1. sparky

sparky Member

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Chandler Parsons has Tangibles in addition to Intangibles. I am very glad he is a Houston Rocket.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

4. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I wonder how much Parsons's agent is behind all this publicity so he can get a big contract.

Don't really agree with some parts of the article, but overall yes Parsons does bring a lot to the table. Hope he can stay a Rocket forever.

5. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

If Parsons really is THAT good, this would mean the Rockets have a top 7 player at three positions. Scary.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

chandler is very underrated on these boards

if harden didnt join us, i think Chandler would have had the huge spike up in stats as in 20 pts, 7 rebs, 4 assists

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's a decent article, and I pretty much agree.
    Though I could sum it down ever further.

To me, there's group one of Lebron and KD. There's group two which is just Melo and Paul George.

Then there's group 3, which includes Iguodala, Parsons, Leonard, etc.

I think within those groups, you could trade one player for the other and not really see much movement in terms of team performance. Trade Lebron and KD and KD has the rings. Trade out Parsons for Iguodala, or Leonard and I don't think much changes.

Maybe there's be meaningful change with the Melo/George swap... but honestly I couldn't even tell you who would be better and who would be worse. I can't figure out how Melo impacts a team, and I really like George, but think he might be a tad overrated.

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Yahoo Contributor Network is garbage

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

M. De Moor strikes again.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nonsense, Rudy Gay is better than Durant

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's regularly mentioned with these guys, e.g..

http://dimemag.com/2013/05/the-4-ti...f-the-nbas-top-10-small-forwards-this-season/

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...warp-2013-14&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13821192826227

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rudy Gay can create his own shot and Parson cannot. Neither Gay or Parson should ever be the first or second option on offense of a contending team. Parsons is light years better than Gay off the ball so I would rather have Parsons on my team.

13. MONON

MONON Member

"Parsons is a better player than Gay" you can argue this. "Parsons is more valuable to his team than Gay" you can't argue. I enjoyed the read. Thanks.

14. rocketblood713

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

He makes a thin case, but it could be valid. IMHO Parsons greatest "intangible" is his "broness". I am completely confident that the Rockets will be a happy and loose team with him on board. I mean, who in the NBA would you rather hang for a night with over Parsons? He somehow has become "chief recruiter".

16. dje243

dje243 Member

The thing that always makes me upset is when people say Kawhi is better. Parsons to me is the perfect complimentary "3rd Star" because he doesn't need the ball in his hands and has the ability to play elite-level defense (if he's not carrying too much load on offense).

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Parsons is about to show the world he's on Otter from Animal House's level.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

I would take Parsons over Rudy Gay any day

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

There is no such thing as intangibles. If Shane Battier gave a pep talk in the locker room before a big game and it improved his team's performance, that can be tracked with statistics. It Chandler Parsons has some magical BO that makes his defender a half step slow, it can be tracked with statistics. The only intangibles are the small things that affect a game that aren't picked up on. If somebody picks up on them, they're no longer 'intangible'.

20. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

That is almost by definition something that can't be tracked by stats, as even if you know team performance changed you have no way of tracking it back to a locker room speech. It could have been that they watched dog welcoming a soldier home on youtube and got inspired.

You have a good chance of getting stats on things that happen on the court. You have a reasonable chance of getting stats on changes that affect an entire season (e.g. new training staff). You have almost no chance of getting stats on a one-off event.

The thing about tracking stats is you require a big enough sample size for them to have meaning.