1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Insult the Koran? Go to jail.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Well, the dude lost his re-election, but he is still facing charges.

I read this lovely piece about blasphemy in Pakistan - another one of those countries of equal opportunity to which Americans can immigrate.

What a terribly violent, oppressive, and intellectually challenged country. That is not to say anything about the people from that country already here. I just cannot believe the people who say we should not enforce our immigration laws, that we should not stand up for our values.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

A liberal blogger also just got murdered in the Maldives.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What is . . . something conservative Americans and conservative Muslims dance about like New Jersey Muslims on 9/11? jk

4. Cohete Rojo

And two years in jail it is.

How many insults against religion have there been in the US that resulted in two years in jail?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What was this supposed "insult"?

Disgraceful.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Jesus, some folks in a country want to put someone in jail for insulting the Koran.

This is outrageous. Let's invade and occupy that country and make them stop that ****.

The original posters and ATW and like minded others should volunteer for the invasion force, ASAP !!

#26 glynch, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    No Worries likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Insult Jeff Sessions; go to jail. Its like Beauregard is packing a Koran in jacket pocket.

IBTL likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Religion - killing millions of people with ignorance for thousands of years.

DD

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

“As part of a religious society, the defendant should be careful to not use words with negative connotations regarding the symbols of religions, including the religion of the defendant himself.”

the law it self is fine ,to prevent contempts of religions ,but how it was implemented in this case is very questionable b/c there was no indication of insults

10. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Look, I'm a not a Muslim/Islam hater and countries can right the laws that they choose. But this is asinine, God doesn't need blasphemey laws and this is flat WRONG. I get that you are trying to play it even, and say questionable but there shouldn't be a question in the first place. Hope this man finds some peace.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

God doesn't need any laws, Dude.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No Worries likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you actually defending this? :confused:

I mean, I know you are crazy, but...

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The law itself is not fine. It is terrible. It is pathetic that in some countries it is illegal to say something bad about a diety or religion.

Why should it be illegal to say something bad about something many people do not believe in.

Look if people believe in a God that is fine. If they do not it is also fine. But making blasphemy illegal is stupid. There is really no logical reason to make it illegal. It is not illegal to mock zeus is it. Or to mock the lochness monster.

Idiotic country with idiotic laws. That being said I spend some time there the country really is beautiful.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Cohete Rojo

Inevitably someone will come in here to criticize Christianity, so to stymie that wave: yes, even Russia has stupid blasphemy laws. It's idiotic and Russia a country in which I would never want to live.

That being said, what's true about many Muslim majority countries:

[​IMG]

16. JTQ

JTQ Member

He basically said "being tricked using Al Maidah verse 51". This is a verse that has multiple interpretations, one of them was not to choose a Christian or Jewish leader.

People have 2 different opinions. The first one thinks that this is blasphemous due to mentioning Quranic verse in a less than complimentary fashion. The second one thinks that it is not, because he refers to people and politician (not the Quranic verse) who use quranic verse (with multiple interpretation) to get votes against Christian candidate.

I think this is just an example of very dirty political ploy by people who hates Ahok and cannot mess around with his tight monitoring of provincial budget.

Exiled likes this.
  17. Cohete Rojo

It's not stopping there - to no surprise.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

religions have room for differences and criticism, BUT people in general don't, its protecting the public from stupid provoking stupids . the Coptic church would not have survived this long without such law , from their opponents and more importantly : internal power struggles
    i was recently led to think the Philippine Pres. is an awful human, however , speaking to a few filipinos who praised him made me re-question how I did perceive the news in first place , not like most of us paid a due of investigating thoroughly every day news .
    if India would pass a law to ban butchering cows and consumption of beef , I would support such law , its not like I have a problem with beef/cows , but I do value preserving the delicate social harmony much more . nothing wrong with putting a lid on crickets ,and enjoy nature without some natural creatures, its less than perfect experience but i would take it

a few more dosage of so called free speech in the University of Berkeley and the army needs to be deployed there , a distinction has to be made first between hate speech vs. freedom of expression

btw, i was arrested 4 times in Indonesia/Philippin for crossing the street and for not walking extra miles to pedestrian bridge , each time I had two options : being locked temporary in an enclosed filthy pickup with no window to breath with what seems like human processed digested food anally ejected in middle on the floor before being transported to police station so they can write me a ticket or loose my watch,cash and belt for instance release .

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

At some point, Russia, the USA, and China are going to have a giant smack down on Islamists - and that day will not be pretty.

DD