1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Insider] NBA Mock Draft 1.0 - ESPN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chapinha_br, Mar 21, 2012.

1. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Yea, i agree and that's probably one of my biggest concern too since all nba teams HAVE to travel by plane. But i think that can be fixed. NBA teams make sure their players get the best treatment and I'm sure they've got a good plan for him. As for his silly antics, yea he's still a kid. I'm curious as to see what a guy like McHale can do to teach this kid to be mature, if we do get him.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Exactly. People underate the euro league competition.

3. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Honestly? I just don't see it; his handle looks way too loose and uncomfortable, and I have still yet to see a go-to move that will work in the NBA that would enable him to be an efficient scorer. When I saw his highlight tape, I saw a smaller Trevor Ariza. That's an excellent player for certain teams, but the Rockets need guys that can create in a one-on-one situation without the need for a pick, whether it's from the wing, or as a low-post threat.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, what do you guys think of Kendall Marshall as a Rockets prospect?

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Find the best SG on the board - Lamb or Beal - and and trade up to get him.

6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I think he's perfect for the Trailblazers; they have a huge need for a PG who's not Ray-Mound Felton, and he now has an injury question mark.

7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

What position are you planning on addressing with the first pick?

8. thejav

thejav Member

Sg.. trade martin and pick a sg in the draft..

9. BKRGator13

BKRGator13 Member

Not sure why we are talking about the pick houson got from the knicks being around the #10 pick this year, seeing as they are currently in the playoffs and on a 4 game winning streak since they fired d'antony

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

well you see, we are looking to trade scola, and surprisingly, we would only have one PF in patterson. Weird right? Where did they all go? :grin:

11. Old Man Rock

Yeah he could use better handles but they are not bad and if he had better handles he wouldn't be available so late. That and the fact he is pretty skinny are why he is listed as a second rounder. But do not confuse his frailness for being weak. He is one of the best wing rebounders in the NCAA. He gets in their and pounds with the big boys and comes away with the ball. He is not afraid of contact. That's apparent by the fact he gets to the free throw line more than any other wing in the NCAA. And almost everything he does will transfer to the NBA.

Remember that video is one game. It's not a highlight reel. In that one video he drives the lane and puts up a floater twice. You know how hard it is to develop a soft touch like that. Courtney doesn't have it, even Lowry is inconsistent with it. He has a soft touch around the rim that is definitely transferable to the NBA. And for all the praise Beal and Lamb are getting on their squads Barton's stats are overall better. He shoots at a high percentage. His got great size and reach for a 2. And he is a much better defender than both of them. He is quick and fills the lanes and pesters his opponent with non stop energy.

I know he doesn't look as flashy as some but I think what he does transfers well to the NBA. I think 2 reasons why he isn't projected higher is because he is so skinny and doesn't have amazing handles And in the end I am not talking a lottery pick. I think he is worth a late first rounder or early second rounder.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xOVzQRwsmMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#51 Old Man Rock, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. Old Man Rock

Yeah but the Bucks have won 6 in a row, are only half a game back, have the same losses as the Knicks, have an easier schedule and own the tiebreaker. It will go down to the wire. But they well be the 2 best teams not named Chicago, Miami or Orlando and only 1 will likely make it. My bet is on Milwaukee.

13. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

I love Austin Rivers

14. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

If we don't make the playoffs...
    14. Perry Jones PF Baylor (I have a major man crush on PJ3)
    16. Meyers Leonard C Illinois (Center to develop)
    21. Austin Rivers SG Duke (need SG depth with possibility of Lee leaving and K-Mart probably wanting to be traded)

15. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

With respect to the smaller comment, most of the reason why Ariza is such a good defender is that he's a big 6'8", yet still can guard 2s or 3s and can contest shots, poke away the dribble, and generally make up for gambling on steals. Two inches can make a big difference if you're forced to play him at the SF because his handle isn't good enough. As a 2 guard, he'd be a monster, though.

Personally, I love players that rebound like crazy, especially undersized guys, and especially non BCS conference guys, so I'll be cheering for him, and he does seem like a stat dream pick. Having said that, I did watch the highlight tape you posted before I made my previous comment, and I still don't think he's going to be able to create a shot one-on-one, which is what separates him from Beal and Lamb and Rivers. It seems like he's an excellent finisher, but I still think he's going to top out as a slasher, rather than a guy who can create from a neutral position. And the Rajon Rondo comparison is ridiculous; Rondo can beat his man off the dribble when he's being given 3 feet of space, his handle is amazing for having such long arms and big hands.

Perhaps the Trevor Ariza experience has traumatized me, but I'm of the opinion that you can't develop handles in the NBA. You either have it or you don't. Can you name me a wing player who substantially increased his dribbling ability after college?

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its very early to start thinking about who the Rockets should take and where. Their draft positions for all three picks will be fluxuating dramatically in the next four weeks.

However, if John Henson, and Austin Rivers just so happened to fall to Houston wherever their picks are you would have to feel great about that.

-Henson is only listed as 6'10" but he is extremely long. He's played on a packed team where he isn't going to get very many touches. He could surprise people in the NBA with his post game that many people didnt see due to the lack of plays ran for him. If he falls to the 15th - 18th pick, you have to feel good about that pick.

17. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

two completely different players man... motie is average at best defensively... plus I believe Royce can play the 3.

18. rockets06

rockets06 Member

First off Motiejunas is a PF and Leonard is a C you can't really compair the two.
    I'd really love for Houston to grab this kid to pair with Motiejunas giving us size in the frontcourt with 2 seven footers. Unless someone like Kidd-Gilchrist falls to us then yes, but for now I believe SF isn't much of an issue. So grab Leonard at all costs and not another undersized PF.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Last thing we need is another SF/PF.

SF: Parsons, Morris, Budinger
    PF: Scola, Patterson, Motiejunas, Morris

Where is a guy going to find PT? If he isn't already good enough to beat out all these players then he's going to rot on the bench. Royce isn't that good.

20. freshstart

freshstart Member

Leonard
    Lamb or Beal or Ross
    Marshall