1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Insider]Chad Ford - "I think the Rockets' draft was one of the worst of the night"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 29, 2007.

1. DreamRoxCoogFan

dude, mark madsen= baller.
    hahah

2. shivalrous

shivalrous Member

Even if Marcus Camby makes his summer home in Houston, it's interesting that he'd come to the Toyota Center--after all he is a member of the Denver Nuggets.

I'm hopeful--but afraid of getting my hopes up for nothing. He would be an ideal PF if we're truly committed to "win-now" mode.

3. Bob

Bob Member

Steve Francis is in town also. He might be too big for Morey's taste though.

We could be trying to go after Mike Wilks or Nick Van Excellent.

4. shivalrous

shivalrous Member

It's rumored that Francis' contract would be bought out by Portland. I'm sure he'd love to play in Houston with Yao again. But given, the glut of PGs and guards in general, chances are slim. I do think if we get him though, he's definitely a solid back up.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Possibly we can get rid of the scrub guards and bring in Francis. How soon can we trade our draft picks? :p

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What the hell has this world come to that you people now agree with Chad Ford?

I say, if Ford hates it, it must have been good.

7. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

Amen to that! :p

8. AMD

AMD Member

Dude, I'm really not tryin to be mean but you don't know what you're talking about. McRoberts and Fazekas may be taller but they're soft. Big Baby is talented but he doesn't have the athleticism or mobility to measure up to Landry. Landry tested out as the 5th best athlete in the entire draft. He can post up and shoot from out to 20 ft and maybe deeper. You obviously haven't seen him play.

Landry isn't just Hayes with offense. Hayes might be a better all-around defender and rebounder, but Landry is way better in every other area. Landry has offense with post moves down low, can shoot, and also can handle the ball. He's Carl Landry, he's not Chuck Hayes plus offense.

9. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

hey, i want to apology to the Houston rockets scout team, i was really pist at the draft night and said alot bad things about them
    after i calm down , i started to watch some of the those pick's video, id admit i like arron brooks alot. He attacks basket FEARLESSLY, and i didnt see that from any of our player last year. And he has a pretty nice assist to turnover ratio even when he was mostly played as 2 last year.

although i think we can draft a 4 guy, but as many ppl have said we dont have to. i dont really glen davis, he is another big guy likes to shoot outside, he likes to dance, sing songs, he is not a tough guy that we need.

10. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

i liked landry alot too. i was watching corey brewer''s workout the other day, and i saw this guy posting up with brewer , very quick and good post moves. by that time i didnt even know his name, then today i saw his pic i was like holy ****, we may got a steal.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

its not that brooks is a bad player, it just didn't fit. just like when the rox had a need 2 yrs ago for a atheletic 4, they took head instead of simien. Once again, we take a small guy that is a undersized shooting pg in the mold of salim stoubemire,bobby jackson and such.

12. WildSweet&Cool

We made the right choice at the draft. The golden rule: always draft for talent, not position. Ford is an idiot for not knowing this.

However....

Morey is an idiot for keeping Brooks. We should package him up in a deal for a PF.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wasn't happy with draft night, but now that I see Chad Ford say that it was a bad draft for us, I have come to the conclusion that it was our best draft since drafting Yao.

Chad Ford is an idiot and I never want to agree with him. :p

14. abundance

abundance Member

Can you share the link with us? Please.....

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Chad Ford has a JD from Geogetown, so he is pretty smart too.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let's face it. How would I know. I was very upset on draft night, but I am becoming optimistic about the draft. We still absolutely need a good trade for an experienced big guy. If we do it, along with we assume a new Bonzi, Mike James and our new big guy/ starter plus the draftees we will have had a good off season.

If our two draft guys can become legitimate rotation players in a year or two it will be a good draft. It is better than the ill fated strategy of "let's play for this year only" of JVG. Since Yao could easily have another 7 or so good years, we cannot afford to go only with old rent a vets. With luck T Mac will still be going strong in say 4 years.

I am encouraged that unlike Novak, the new guys are very athletic.

17. AMD

AMD Member

I'm tellin you man...we did get a steal for sure. I'll admit that taking Splitter at #26 may be better than Brooks, but Landry at #31 is definitely a steal and the Celtics were gonna get him if we didn't.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A steal? You mean like Novak at 32?

19. AMD

AMD Member

If you payed attention to basketball, you would know that Landry and Novak are nothing alike. All Novak can do is shoot while Landry can do much more.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, I know, but my point was more about the number the player was drafted, and the fact that being drafted that low rarely means they are a steal.

I don't expect anything out of anyone drafted this year, and if it happens.....great...but I give each one a less than 25% chance of ever being a rotational player.

DD