1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[InsideHoops Blog] Making Sense of Morey's Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thought this was an interesting post of one person's opinion on how Morey is doing so far. Don't think it was posted anywhere here yet...if it was lock it up :)

link

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There are many posters on this board who are far more insightful than that author - and better writers to boot.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

lol did I say insightful? Interesting, was the wording I used. I figured at the very least people would want to debate on the points raised about the Francis signing and James trade.

4. tulexan

tulexan Member

so he thinks we should add another PG? don't we have enough?

5. Fuse

Fuse Member

It's nothing we really haven't discussed on this board already.

6. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

His point is to add another point guard, and move James and/or Francis to the 2 spot for starter or back up minutes. Therefore, Head in his scenario would not have a solidified role, and we should pick up a true PG or a versatile SF.

7. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Well that's idiotic, that would make trading Rafer away pointless

8. onethreeeleven

Is there any reason to post on here from a blog if it's just analysis and not new information?

9. abundance

abundance Member

It was posted today, but seems out of date. The Heat have moved on. Brevin Knight is gone. Clippers have made an offer to Brevin already.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Funny. Nothing against the writer of this blog post, but I have to agree with you on that.

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

If you ask me, every line/idea of his came from this forum.

12. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

bottom line is we've added TALENT. our team is WAY more talented than it was last year and there is NO DOUBT about that.

now it's up to Rick Adelman to make it work and build team chemistry. as long as he keeps everyone in their place we'll be just fine!

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A few of my thoughts:

1. What happened to GATER? He was rather opinionated about Morey.

2. Like Morey or not, the man definitely is well prepared and has a vision about running things. Morey also does not seem to care whether his moves get cheered or booed. It does not matter his draft got panned and his trades were cheered, both were consistent with his philosphy.

It should be interesting seeing how the difference between how Morey values things and how the other GMs do it plays out. Chances are, Morey will continue to surprise us.

3. Morey does not woory about having duplicative players as long as the individual contracts are not so bad that they are untradable.

4. The press seem a little scared of the chubby guy from MIT. Even when Chad Ford panned Morey's draft, he noted that Morey is smart and may prove to be right.

They don't feel the same need for the caveat when trashing a lot of other GMs. They can't figure out what Morey is about and is scare of looking dumb.

5. I wonder if Morey intentionally puts up a stuttering nice guy front in order to make other GMs think he won't be taking advantage of them.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

more or less, just sounds like someone wrote a general summary of the stuff mentioned on this board

15. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I think the writer was being sarcastic because he doesn't like the idea of signing Stevie Franchise.

16. Navman

Navman Member

No kidding. This dude has been brainwashed by th JVG era of no nonsense and set plays. With Adelman, there is more freedom of movement, more sharing, and far less criticism of the players to monitor themselves. Stevie, if anything, will be better player under Adelman than he was under JVG.

Also, Yao left a quote in an interview last week (posted on one of these threads) that seldom do people notice that Steve made sacrifices his last year under JVG, averaging 16pts 5rb 6as. And that was when his ego was sky high. Add to that 3 tumultuous years..Stevie is a mature player and knows what it takes to be successful now.

Irritates me when these writers criticize additions of Steve and Mike as if the chemistry will implode. I'm sorry if adding a little moxy in our lineup will disrupt your viewing pleasure of the team, wise journalists. It may actually surprise you that we lacked moxy and swagger throughout the season. :rolleyes:

17. rua2006

rua2006 Member

I like one thing he said, regarding a "do-it-all SF." I think we do need a swingman of the type he pointed out. James Posey? The Heat won't give him up, but it's still a thought.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

won't it be easier for heat to giveup posey for rafer instead of haslem?

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I think GATER is taking a respite from the board because 1) he got tired of trying to spar with uncivil posters; 2) he gave up on people who think they know basketball but who really know very little about the management and the x's and o's of the game; and 3) I surmise he objects to the purely statistical approach of Moneyball as applied to basketball.

I do not presume to speak for GATER, but that is what I believe to be the gist of his current estrangement. IMO the board is the poorer for his hiatus.

#19 thumbs, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Thank you Jeff- you are right