1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[inside the nba] Kenny/Chuck talking about the Rockets championship teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 17, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[inside the nba](video) Kenny/Chuck talking about the Rockets championship teams

Charles saying that it's all about Dwight Howard, that when the Rockets won, Hakeem either scored 30 points or got the other team in foul trouble.

Kenny mentioning that the role players on Orlando have to step up like the Rockets. Kenny mentioning Vernon Maxwell. I'm betting a bunch of you were getting teary eyed!

<object width="576" height="324"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://gotuit.nba.com/itn/pvs/build/core/assets/eplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="576" height="324" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="acfg=http://gotuit.nba.com/itn/xml/itn_app_player.xml&scfg=http://gotuit.nba.com/itn/xml/itn_system.xml&c=InsidetheNBA-MostRecent&p=503767&s=5043232&i=589441"></embed></object>

#1 tinman, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

charles: "one guy can't guard a superstar"
    reggie: "are you saying dwight howard is not a superstar?"

charles: "like when we played y'all and hakeem, we're gonna stop the three point shooters, if he gets 30 or more..."

charles: "if you think about the great teams kenny played on, they didn't worried about 3 point shooters, hakeem scored or got somebody in foul trouble, that's how 3 point shooters got opened

kenny: "the one thing clyde drexler, vernon maxwell, sam cassell, myself at times thought, to really get off, you can't be a 3 point shooter only.. get dribble penetration

CLUTCH CITY. 4 ever

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

While the inside out game plan may be similiar that's about it. D12 is nowhere near what Dream was on either end of the floor.
    I do think Dwights supporting cast is far better than what we had the first championship and maybe the second.
    Both the inside and perimeter game have to be effective to win. With our old Rockets team the constant was Hakeem and our perimeter game was inconsistent. It is the complete opposite in Orlandos case.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

To be honest, I'm extremely tired of Howard even being mentioned in the same breath as Hakeem. Howard is nowhere near the player O was. Offensively it's a joke, defensively Hakeem played hard all the time. Howard could be great on the defensive side but takes games off. These two players being compared in greatness should never happen.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Dream being guarded by Kendrick Perkins or Rasheed wallace with no double team? That would be 50 points a game for the Dream.

Chuck didn't answer reggie's question if Dwight was a superstar.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Nay
    The Rockets championship teams played vastly superior teams in the western conference.

Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis? Vince Carter?

Drexler > Carter. Sam Cassell would have destroyed every little guard they have.

Robert Horry is what Rashard Lewis is suppose to be. Mario Elie? Otis thorpe?
    Maxwell? He eats Matt Barnes for breakfast.

They looked good cause they played a heartless Atlanta team.

Clutch City is forever!

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Count me also as someone who is tired of the D Howard/Hakeem comparisons.

Its like comparing Britney Spears to Marilyn Monroe.

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iupd8SOQWUQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iupd8SOQWUQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

5 star thread.

I appreciate it for one

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What made dream even better was if the double wasnt perfect, or he still scored.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

The a-team stuff was funny too

12. leebigez

I think if you put howard and a healthy yao back in 94, they would be behind zo and in front of deke. Dream,shaq,robinson,ewing,mourning,howard or yao,deke.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

what if you stuck dream, shaq, robinson, ewing, mourning
    yao, or deke on this year's magic team?

14. leebigez

Just to show how many holes there are in the top 2 centers, zo's best years are better than howard and yao's.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Who in the hell does Howard go up against on a nightly basis? Dream went up against hall of famers on a consistent basis, David Robinson, Ewing, Malone played him at times, Kareem, the celtics whole front line, it was just ridiculous.

Tinman, great point actually on what Rashard Lewis "is supposed to be" Horry was better at everything when it counted. What a huge waste Lewis's career has become, if he was aggressive taking it to the hole and played some D, instead of only camping out at the 3pt line, he could be a heck of a player. Did he just cash it in or what? Definitely not worth the contract

Totally forgot to add Deke and Mourning, I'm sure I'm missing others, but point made

16. tinman

Supporting Member

what's sad is that old Rasheed Wallace was playing good D on Howard. I mean come on!

Sheed? hey Sheed cover Horry!
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15u2SVZj3ZA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15u2SVZj3ZA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dwight is a superstar in this league but he's not a superstar offensive player. Howard is 24 years old and though he's an incredible physical talent, his offensive skill level is probably less than Dream's level in college. Dream never reached the pinnacle of his offensive ability until he was 30 years old though so cut Dwight a little slack. Unfortunately for Dwight, he's not as talented as Dream nor does he play against the type of big man talent Dream played against so it's doubtful he's ever going to dominate on the offensive end the way Dream did. He will get better though, no doubt about that.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm happy that Houston's own Rashard Lewis is getting overpaid, I'm just glad it wasn't the Rockets that gave him that much $$$.

Kenny was right, all those dudes on Orlando need to take it to the hole.

When he mentioned Drexler, Maxwell, Cassell, and himself. They did more than just jack up 3s. Especially Drexler (Hello Vince Carter?) he was slashing, driving, posting up, playing defense.

The cliff note version of the Rockets championships was all the famous 3 point shots, but we all witnessed that the guards were awesome in transition and penetration.

When Maxwell dropped 35 on the Suns, that was mainly driving to the hole.
    Drexler was old, but dude was taking off on fast breaks.

19. AKO511

AKO511 Member

D12 is great but I don't think you can compare him to dream yet, like comet said, Dream's offense didn't fully develope until 30, so he still has some time, just wish he would stop practicing free throws without getting himself tired before he does it. You don't go to the free throw fresh, you go there when you get banged, beat up, tired, so yea he needs to change that up. Don't count the magic out yet, they only lost by 4 people. People act like they got blown out.

20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Oh man no doubt, when I was watching Inside the NBA I was about to sleep and all of the sudden they started talking about the rockets and Hakeem days, I turned the volume up and I started paying attention to the TV, you'll always miss those days. :(