1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[inside the nba-Barkley]Dwight Howard '' He don't even know how to Post up ''

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Charles is

1. right, Dwight can't post up

114 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. wrong, He can post up

19 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. right, but all he needs is 5 more lessons from Dream

31 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. wrong, you can get Dream,McHale,Kareem,Charles, and he still can't post up

23 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. Tuan

Tuan Member

Actually, I agree with Shaq 100%. I have said this in the past but people just laughed at me. Yes, Dwight is mobile and can jump out of the gym, but if you watch him carefully, he is very robotic. He just does not have the touch, finesse, or dare I say coordination to be a Hakeem or Yao like offensive player. His shots and hook shots are just look plain UGLY.

Dwight is a great defensive player but a mediocre offensive player at best. He is the beneficiary of someone playing in an era of watered down centers. He doesnt have the bulk or strength to be Shaq like or the finesse to be Hakeem like.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

It was glaringly obvious back in the 2009 Finals that he needed to work on his post game. The Lakers made him look like an average player.

3. Asian Sensation

That's what I noticed from the interview as well. Shaq was right on the money. Not just the end part about the 1 or 2 go-to post moves but also being a "man" and a good business man by not playing with people.

If I were Dwight the first thing I would do is reach out to Shaq and bribe him/pay him whatever he wants. Shaq is basically everything Dwight should try to be. It's not too late to try.

4. Onethingy

Onethingy Member

Made me search Yao Ming videos again. Why you do this to me :(:(:(:(

5. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Charles Barkley never won so it is hard for him to understand what it takes to win.</p>&mdash; Metta World Peace (@MettaWorldPeace) <a href="https://twitter.com/MettaWorldPeace/status/329040325693808640">April 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This might be but I doubt it the first rockets game Dwight watches tonight since he's home I really really hope we win tonight and harden goes dumb for 40+ tonight

7. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

He right, weak ass dude cant post up.

And chuck have every right to talk, he could post up anybody, even dudes twice his size, and hed back em down like a trash compactor

8. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Rc4srmdxxUROYyILQ&sig2=n_vTCvvNhvpRoO1GxqzO-A

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They made an nba rule for Barkley in the post. The 5 second rule.

10. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

"The charles barkley rule", i remember dat :grin:

11. blunto

blunto Member

Dwight needs someone to run the pick & roll with. Anybody know someone?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/whE55N9gqaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh... right. Well then how come it didn't....

[​IMG]

Oh... right.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I agree with the 100%. Not everyone is born to be a natural dancer. You can train all your life, but still not have the natural talent to be an elite dancer. Dwight just doesn't have the natural coordination that Dream had. But who does, at that height?

The same goes for free throws - he was born a brick layer. You can take a 40% baseline free throw shooter and through coaching and hard work, make him at 60% free throw shooter. But you are never going to make him a 90% free throw shooter. I'm guessing Durant's natural baseline was 80%, and he improved to 90%. What was Dwight's natural baseline - 40%? If Shaq supposedly worked so hard on his game, why was he always such a bad free throw shooter?

13. cuddie

cuddie Member

"Offensibly"

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The most ridiculous use of stats I've ever seen in my 42 yrs on this earth. Gasol plays good defense,but he also plays with 3 other very good defenders. I can also make the point he's not even the best defender on his team. That award goes to tony allen. The lakers don't have any above avg defenders and that includes kobe and mwp. Don't even get started on the nash/blake pg defensive combo.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Yao was about the most robotic player I've ever seen, of course he was 7'5, so it wasn't like anyone was blocking those shots, but Yao was a 20-10 player, really nothing much more, Dwight is a 20-12 player with extraordinary defense, he'll probably never be much more either.

He'll never be Hakeem, but he's more impactful than Yao ever was.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Considering Shaq has taken plenty of unnecessary shots at Dwight there is probably no chance he does that and I don't blame him.

17. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Wow, the most ridiculous ever? I guess maybe you forgot about jcdenton? And probably countless others a 30 second perusing of the garm would turn up, but that's ok, we love hyperbole around here.

The Marc Gasol part was a tiny bit of the whole post. One sentence. There was no conclusion made about how valid Gasol's dpoy award was. Only a statement that Asik's presence is ASSOCIATED with (notice I was careful to specifically avoid the use of the word CAUSES) a similar increase in defensive efficiency as Gasol's presence for the grizzlies.

of course, your whole post ignores my main point, which was that Dwight Howard doesn't have a far-and-away greater effect on the Lakers team defense than Asik has on the Rockets. Dude was trying to say that Howard's "defense alone is worth a max contract". That's a direct quote. My contention is simply that if that's true, then Asik is a huge bargain.

18. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Oh yeah, I forgot that Dwight plays with noted defensive stalwart Pau Gasol. Of course Pau's presence as a defensive force masks some of Howard's value as a defender.

Remember, this isn't about Howard's overall game or value. You said that his defense alone is worth a max contract.

The lakers overall team defense is about as good as the Rockets. Asik's presence on the floor is associated with a larger improvement to the rockets defense than Howard's is with that of the lakers. Simple as that.

So then either Howard's defense alone is not worth a max contract, or Asik's defense alone is worth one.

Personally, I think that saying anyone's defense alone is worth a max contract is nonsense, since a max player should obviously be of value on both ends of the court, and more importantly, because "defensive stopper" type players are pretty much always available cheaper than offensive superstars, so why pay more if the market doesn't demand it?

19. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Honestly, I think Dwight's main problem is that he just ain't too bright. He's practiced post moves a billion times, but he still struggles with how to use them. Shaq, for all his power, was very good at getting defenders off-balance before turning around and dunking on them. You don't have to be a genius to be a success in basketball, but at the least you should have an idea of 2 or 3 basic counter moves depending on what the defender does. I'm not convinced Howard can even regularly apply one counter.

Howard's greatest success was when he played for a very rigid coach who did all his thinking for him (SVG). I do think Howard would be a big upgrade for the Rockets, but the last thing we should do is promise him that we'll build our offense around his post game.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Shaq is correct. Howard wouldn't improve with Hakeem. Dwight's footwork is terrible, and has zero post moves. Hakeem's style of play wouldn't help him one bit, hence Dwight hasn't gotten better.

Dwight needs to man up and go learn from Shaq. He needs to know how to utilize his sheer power and dominate the post.