1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inside sources tell me Sterling will sell for $700m

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by downbytheriver, Apr 29, 2014.

1. downbytheriver

I am in LA and just had lunch with a buddy who cleared up the situation with me. Wheels have already been set in motion and over next few weeks Stern will have to sell the Clippers ASAP. The brand loses value and gets damaged the longer he holds onto it and they won't be able to recover after a point. Silver is pulling all the strings to make it happen

I wouldn't feel bad for the guy ... He paid $12m for it 3 decades ago. Mods I'm in my phone please merge with existing thread as I hit thread instead of reply

2. Nook

Nook Member

INJUNCTION

3. izeroi

izeroi Member

Stern huh....

Just can't get rid of that guy

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I just spoke to Donald Sterling on the phone and he told me you know nothing.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Space City

just had lunch with leslie alexander at timmy chans and he told me he popped a molly and he's sweatin

4 people like this.
  6. downbytheriver

I'll probably be made a mod as this story breaks lol. Know which whippersnappers ill be banning

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Goes directly against what Sterling said to the media just a few hours ago, but even if he DOESN'T want to sell and fights it, I have very little doubt the NBA board will get the needed 75% vote to get him out.

At that point, I dont exactly know how the sale goes, but I'm almost positive its not Sterling whose in charge of actively selling the franchise, but the NBA and Adam Silver himself who will hold the rights until they find a buyer similar to what happened with the Hornets. Also don't forget that Sterling LIVES IN THE COURTROOM for a hobby. He's going to fight this and that will almost certainly hold up the sell of the team after the vote comes in.

Major Point being- At some point, the NBA will have control over what the franchise sells for in this case. Sterling is just going to get whatever he gets. However I know that the NBA will want to clearly showcase how valuable an NBA franchise is for future purchases with financially distraught teams to get owners with deeper pockets in the door. 700 million seems relatively low IMO for a team that is based on LA, has potential for a lucrative TV deal, has CP3, and Griffin LOCKED UP for years, and the owner will look like the Gandolph running down the hill on a white horse.

IMO if the Clippers sell for a figure around 700 million its because the NBA wants a fast, quick sell to an owner they specifically want in their club.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Paging Seattle, although this would be really weird for Clip fans.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You've got to be kidding me right? Your entire statement is something that someone could logically come up. Clippers are worth more than 700million. The ****ing bucks sold for 500+

Ps, it's sterling. Not stern

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

LeBron just told me he's coming to Houston, but he's going to bleach his skin MJ style in protest to Sterling. That's right........we're getting the white LeBron.

#itshappeningguys

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sorry... Seattle is not going to happen with this team. The board, and the NBA will never approve of that sell.

However if the value of the Clips shows to be around 1B, I would start watching for some of these smaller market owners to start talking about getting that kind of doe for their team, and then you will see Seattle step in as a player.

T-Wolves look like the next candidate on the docket, and the Kevin Love situation could expedite this potential deal. I know Glen Taylor loves his Minnesota sports teams, but I'm not sure he has the deep pockets to resist essentially doubling his net worth in one swoop.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

lol indeed.
    LOL what?

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

$700M…….riverx has set the price…..lol

14. downbytheriver

Sterling went through Jim Gray and planned on putting up a fight initially, but as Silver has a lot of clout and incentives to offer any of the owners who wish to hold back on the 3/4 vote, certain scenarios are inevitable. He emphasized it was the brand that takes the biggest hot, and at this point none of the owners want to risk anything bit swift action to get rid ofh him and any association. Turns into a feel good story at the end of the day. Silver has set all the wheels into motion

15. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I am willing to buy the team and move it to Rio De Janeiro.

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I had lunch yesterday with someone very close to Les Alexander and Kevin McHale will be fired if we don't make it out of the first round next year.

See how easy that is?

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it doesn't seem implausible to me that the NBA buys the team as a temporary measure, below market value so Sterling doesn't make what the true worth of the team is. $700m is a nice golden parachute.

The league then has time to find another ownership group, and sell the team for its true value.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I would rather just move to rio de janeiro

meia pataca ftw

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't think it will ever get that far. But that's a major lawsuit in the makings. It's his team and he owns it and no one is going to just take it away from him if he doesn't want them too without a lot of fight. What they can do is devalue it so he would be stupid not to sell.

You can be sure his lawyers and advisors are already telling him that. He may not want to sell but if he keeps them he may not have much to sell in the future.