1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Injury Update] Beverley and Jones out for at least a week 11/7/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 7, 2014.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

His original proposition is that not having TJ available will have no effect on our win total. If you think losing a guy who is capable of posting regular double-doubles would have no effect on the season -- I don't know what to tell you. Even if you think Kostas should replace TJ in the lineup, it's a nonsensical proposition from a depth perspective.

2. basketballholic

Losing both Terrence and DMo does deplete your depth/bench, but losing ONE of them doesn't deplete your depth/bench. DMo is taking Terrence's minutes. No difference in team performance. And if both guys went down we could sign back Adrien or Powell and not miss a beat.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I wonder about those small ball backup lineups. We also put up good numbers with Delfino and Casspi in the past as well. Question is, how would they hold up if they were starting the game, instead of picking their spots as backups.

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I don't think it would have a major effect, the last few games D-Mo has almost had a double-double- so from a productivity standpoint there isnt much disparity or drop off. Coupled with D-MO's higher assists and him actually getting blocks (the last game) its not that big of a drop off.. especially if Black shows to be as productive as he was 2 nights ago (which he wont).

I'm not saying we are as good, because no.. we are a worse team without T. Jones.. However, I do not think it will effect our record very much at all.

The thing is, PAPA has been phenomenal in filling in at the 2nd PF slot.. I would actually say losing T.Jones has HELPED out team because we know sooner rather then later how great PAPA can fit at PF playing small ball or favorable matchups. We wouldn't have known that if T.Jones didn't go down. It also showed how dangerous we can be with a stretch 4

Put it this way.
    Whether we had T. Jones or not I believe right now we would still be 7-1

#84 Realjad, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  5. basketballholic

That's right. We could lose Terrence for the season and our record wouldn't change. I can't prove that. (But neither can anyone prove the opposite.) But I know it's so. Neither he or DMo are essential to our rotation right now. Their contributions can easily be replaced.

6. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

The only way we would know is if Dwight sits out and TJones is in the lineup in the Golden State game. Would the extra fire power from TJones make a difference?

I don't know the answer but I know I like the chemistry between TJones and Harden. If you don't see it, you are blind. Please remember, proper use of the word 'you' can be singular or plural (Ya'll ain't no word).

7. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

If they could be replaced Morey would've already done it by now.

8. basketballholic

Think about this realistically.

What.players.do.not.have.chemistry.with.James.Harden?

He's a hall-of-fame player dude. Lotsa players got chemistry with him.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

No one wants to lose 30+ minutes out of the rotation. Against teams with two large physical bigs such as Memphis or the Clips not having Jones is going to hurt a lot. Papa is not going to be able to hang with Blake or Zach. The problem is compounded by the Rockets only having three experienced and viable bigs on their roster.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

All of the players without chemistry (read that as were unwilling to step into the role of spot up shooters) are gone. Case dismissed.

11. basketballholic

I beg a differ. Terrence is simply not big enough to deal with Memphis' nor the Clips' nor the Blazers' bigs. How many times do we have to see that?

There's 2 possible solutions for the double bigs in the West.

1. Man up with 2 legit bigs that can bang with them.

or

2. Spread the floor with true shooters around Dwight and try to 3-ball those double big opponent lineups to the bench.

Terrence can do neither. He ain't big enough to bang against those guys and he can't shoot a basketball efficiently enough to force the opponent out of their double big lineups.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Other than D-Mo and Dwight the Rockets don't have a big that can significantly challenge Blake and Zach on the defensive end. But Jones (and you know I am a huge D-Mo supporter) is much better off than Papa ever will be. The Rockets will be an inferior team without Jones. If it would not be, then McHale and the coaching staff would not be giving him significant minutes. McHale is the ultimate arbitrator in discussions like this.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Geezus some people just live in the most narrow universes ever. I can only imagine how horrible of an experience it would be to debate politics or religion with them if the subject of Terrence Jones is this narrow minded.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I personally cannot imagine how the Rockets would not be worse off without a starter who gets 30+ minutes a night. People who believe that they would be equal or better off must think that Morey and McHale are complete idiots. That is the only conclusion I can come up with.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Both out tonight.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

ugh, thanks. I guess it won't be too big of a loss, but I hope TJ gets one of these freebies under his belt to get back up to speed. He was rolling

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>As mentioned in the story today <a href="http://t.co/C9gmMPygUo">http://t.co/C9gmMPygUo</a> Beverley, Jones still out as Rockets look to build on fast start.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/533307264895963136">November 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Both still out....it's the philly anyways.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Did anyone seriously think they'd be suiting up tonight for the Sixers? Save Beverley for OKC and Memphis.

19. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

These injuries could be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully. Don't like to see 2 starters out ever, but this could speed up the well needed development of Canaan and Dmo. And Black also. Could pay dividends come playoff time.

20. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

Beverly was on 790 earlier today and said he would be back for the OKC game! YESSSSS