1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[INJURED] Yao to Miss at Least Six Weeks with Non-Displaced Fracture of Right Tibia

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Caboose, Dec 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. kkuu

kkuu Member

Yao has more time to play PC games.

I recommend NBA2007 to him. :D

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Really, I thought the whole thing about Yao "breaking his knee" was absolutely stupid. You can't break your knee. The only bone you could consider in your knee is the patella (kneecap), and that is in no way, shape, or form in your knee. It sets slightly above your actual knee joint.

Anywho, your knee is an articulation of your tibia and your femur. A part called your femoral condyles articulates with your tibial plateau (a flat, plateau-like area at the top of your tibia...which is your shin bone). In the tibial plateau, there is what is called the tibial spine ( a short, spiny process that sticks up into the knee joint slightly).

Now, this is very simplified, as there are the menisci (cartilage), fluid-filled sacs (bursae), synovial fluid, and many ligaments in your knee. These other structures are what make a knee injury more complicated, as damage is often in these other areas as well. That is what an MRI tests for. An X-ray only can see the bony structures of the knee area.

The part that Yao broke is the tibial plateau (once again, the flat, plateau-like area on the shin bone). From what RocketFanTb is saying, Yao has a fracture that is non-displaced, meaning that the bony structures are still intact, and not dislocated. By saying that it's lateral, he's saying that it's towards the outside portion of his tibia, near the fibula (this is the bone you can feel on the outside of the lower portion of your knee).

I guess, in a roundabout way, to sum it all up, yes, it's his leg bone (his shin bone, to be more specific...), and not his knee, but it is in the general area of his knee. By general area, I mean that it's on one of the articulating portions of his knee.

Sorry if I didn't make sense. I love this stuff.