1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

****ing TSA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Jan 5, 2010.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, i'm flying to vegas this morning, jetblue from JFK. traffic was very light, and there was almost no line at security. as i went through, i noticed that the woman running the scanner was really not paying attention, and was instead conducting a casual conversation with several of her coworkers, both in my line, and a couple of lines over.

i got my coat, bags, put my shoes back on, and started to walk off. there was a supervisors stand nearby, so i went up and told the guy that the folks in my line really weren't watching, and couldn't have scanned my bag very well. He said, well, i appreciate you being honest, but i gotta scan your bags again, and he marched me back over to the line. out came the cell phone, toiletries, laptop, off came the shoes and coat, no explanation given to the security team, and the supervisor walked away.

i stood there waiting for my stuff to come back through, and one of the guys working the line asked what was up. so i told him what i'd told the supervisor, and he said , "huh...." and proceeded to glove up, put me in the room where they do manual screenings, gave me a very personal scan, with particular attention paid to my inner thighs, the inside of my belt, and inside my waistline. after, there was no thanks, no explanation, and the supervisor was no where to be found.

so much for motivating people to speak up...

and then there's this.

[rquoter]Officials Point Finger At TSA In Newark Breach
    Thousands Left Stranded Inside Airport After Man Seen Walking Wrong Way Through Security Checkpoint

There's new fallout Monday from a breach that triggered pure chaos at Newark Liberty International Airport, and officials are beginning to point fingers after thousands of passengers were corralled into a jam-packed waiting area when an intruder slipped past a checkpoint.

Some were pulled off planes and many are frustrated with the way it was all handled. But who is responsible?

Starting Monday airline travelers coming to the U.S. from 14 countries face tougher rules.

The nations are, Afghanistan, Algeria, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

The Transportation Security Administration said these countries are considered to be "countries of interest."

As a result, airline passengers can expect full body pat-downs, carry-on bag searches, and explosive detection technology.

A private security guard was disciplined Monday following Sunday night's security breach and mass passenger re-screening. It was an ordeal that began at 5:30 on Sunday night when someone went into a terminal through an exit.

The massive backup stretched on past midnight with a residual hangover that dragged into the new day.

"Because of the lockdown situation, we missed the connection," traveler David Bannister told CBS 2 HD, his wife Jill adding they'd been up for 27 hours without a break.

Experts said security officers had no choice once they lost track of the intruder.

"They did have to do it," said David Boehm of Security USA. "It was a huge inconvenience to all passengers, but they needed to make that terminal area and the plane sterile."

It's a simple concept. Everyone on the other side of the security had already cleared security. That means everything on the other side is part of the sterile area. All it takes is for one to go the wrong way, and everyone has to be re-checked.

Then there's the question of accommodating the thousands who experienced the massive inconvenience. The Port Authority insists it did its best and said restaurants and toilets were available, but with crowds so thick, the question became, what more could they do?

It was a maddening delay for people caught in the crush. The crowd swelled to 10,000 at one point. Ernesto Butcher, the COO of the Port Authority, which owns the airport, apologized for the incident and told CBS 2 HD he had some stern conversations with TSA.

"When you consider what happened, it certainly was something the TSA needs to take some responsibility for, and I think they have and will continue to do so," said Butcher. "But as it turns out, these are lessons learned and you don't want to have to repeat them."

Were You There? Tell Us About Your Experience!

And besides, should it be so easy that all it takes is for someone to walk past a sign to get into the airport?

"It's a flaw in the system. They should implement a barrier system, kind of like the subways where people coming through, you come through, you have to go through the gate," said Boehm.

European travelers caught at the airport were especially upset.

"It was pure inept, letting someone through security like that. It would never happen back in the UK," said Jill Bannister.

Added traveler June Otremba: "It is especially[amazing] since you have all the problems with the Twin Towers and things like that. You don't expect to see anyone slipping through do you?" [/rquoter]

2. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

My wife works for Continental, and she said that what you experienced is a very common thing. The people doing the screening are likely minimum wage workers with little education. Plus, they don't really look like they give a crap. The issue isn't as much with the procedures in place, but more with the idiots that they have working security.

TSA is a joke, it really is.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Basso's just doing his part to fight the terrorists. thanks

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

A very expensive, annoying joke.

EDIT: A good piece on the TSA farce.

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You should have just kept walking. The TSA is not there to actually keep you safe, but rather make you FEEL safe.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm just glad someone's out there taking this issue more seriously than obama is.

1 person likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was in Charles DeGaulle in the late '90s when someone entered through an exit and the whole terminal had to be cleared and rechecked. We waited in line for hours. It was funny, though, because all these impatient Frenchmen started a protest chant to let the authorities know how displeased they were. The French will protest anything and everything.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

So, you told one of the "employee's" bosses that they weren't doing their job right, and that you should have had your stuff examined more thoroughly, and they took you up on it? And you expected a thanks?

The airport is a lot like a post office with teeth. Complaining about job performance, service and attitude will get you nowhere but hasslesville.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, you're FOR these full body scanners?

...Sorry had to do it.

That story sucks man.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this is like complaining about service at mcdonalds, i know you should always take pride in your job, but seriously. unfortunately airline security is a lot more important than receiving a smile with your Big Mac, but the concept is the same.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "I wanted to be felt up" thread.

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I'm really ticked off that they included Nigeria in that list. So hypocritical -- why don't they include Britain and France too? At least then they'd actually be including countries with lots of extremists.

One spoiled and pampered moron refuses to stay at home, goes to boarding school in Yemen against the wishes of his parents and now the rest of the country is screwed. Way to overreact, Obama. :mad:

13. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Not when it involves people's lives. I don't care how discourteous they are, hell, they can be soup-nazi's for all I care. But my wife works hundreds of flights a year, and we have a bunch of morons in charge of stopping terrorists. It makes me very nervous to think her life is in their hands.

14. Nero

Nero Member

The people that work jobs like that at airports are the people who live right around the airports.

As long as the issue is not taken seriously enough to actually train and pay these people like professionals, you're going to have dead-end minimum-wagers manning these important posts.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the point is these are minimum wage workers, would you like to pay triple what you pay for flights. i mean there are ways we can get more dedicated people in these positions

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

:confused: If i have a $500 flight, im going to pay an additional $1000 to be screened by dedicated professionals?

18. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I see your point. (I fly free, so you'd be paying triple) :grin:

I think the easiest thing would be to start profiling and quit p***y-footing around all this political correctness BS. Sorry, wrong forum.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what are you confused about, the only point i'm making is if you want professionals, you have to pay for them, flights will be more expensive, is that hard to understand. :confused:

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

How about just accepting the risks and moving on with life sans shoe-inspecting TSA morons? People do that every day when they get in their cars...

1 person likes this.