1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

info on trade vetos & rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Aug 3, 2012.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I know hoopsworld isnt really a good source for information but I thought this read was pretty good, with the new CBA there has been changes to trades and some of these things I didn't know and thought there would be some people out there that didn't know either. Please lock if posted...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-trade-veto-power/

2. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Good stuff thanks

3. Raven

Raven Member

Which is like saying Octomom has one kid too many.

But yeah, I suspect something is brewing, and I'm concerned it involves Lamb or D-Mo. Oh well. Time will tell.

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I could be wrong, but I believe the Rockets were over the cap when we made the trade with the Bucks, hence Livingston still can't be packaged with other players for a while.

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Gotta respect the quality of this article no matter where it comes from.

6. phantoman

i believe you are correct here. if you look at the espn trade machine, livingston can only be traded on his own and not in a package..

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Their NBA rumors may be off but this was definitely a good read. D12 coming to houston August 4th baby!!! lol

8. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Agreed most of it was viable info......some websites don't have the best reputation but once in a while they still end up cranking out good material such as this.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

every little bit of that "info" could be had just by reading here. They have all been covered on one thread or the other, but the problem is that info is normally in longer well written posts by some of our better members....which alot of you seem to bypass with those stupid tl;dr memes.

see what you miss when you dont read long posts?

10. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Its August 4th for Cleveland not Rockets....Jason Friedman stated that rookie deals was finalized July 25th

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

It's probably going to be Martin, Morris, Toronto pick, and a PF (Patterson, White,Jones, D-MO) plus another young guy or pick for Howard and Rich.

My guess? D-Mo and Jones will be gone.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

see what you miss when you dont read good posts?

13. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Maybe Dwight has already been traded to Houston, but only the GMs and owners know.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I believe the rules regarding aggregating salaries of players recently acquired via trade are as follows:

(1) If a team is under the cap, and the result of the subject trade would not cause that team to exceed the cap by more than $100,000, then the aggregation rules do not apply.

(2) If a team is over the cap at the time that a player is acquired via a prior trade, then the team must wait 60 days before it can aggregate such player's salary with other salaries in trades, subject, however, to the caveat in (1) above.

(3) If a team is under the cap at the time that a player is acquired via trade, then it may subsequently trade that player without having to wait 60 days, even if it later exceeds the cap.

The way these rules may affect the Rockets' plans for a hypothetical Dwight Howard trade are as follows:

--The Rockets were over the cap when they acquired Livingston and Brockman. Hence, those two players cannot be aggregated in any trade that would result in the Rockets being over the cap by more than $100,000 until August 27.

--Assuming that the Camby S&T was the "first" transaction made by the Rockets on July 11, then presumably all of the other players acquired this offseason can be aggregated without regard to the 60-day waiting period.

--Since the Rockets are currently under the cap, they can aggregate any player salaries (including Livingston's and Brockman's) without regard to aggregation rules. For instance, the Rockets could trade Livingston, Brockman and Toney Douglas for Jason Richardson TODAY as part of an overall Dwight Howard deal.

--Of course, these rules are separate from the 30-day restriction on trading recently signed first round picks.

15. QazQay

QazQay Member

You're forgetting another form of trade veto...
    THE STERN

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. sergio

sergio Member

I just want something to happen already.

17. phantoman

I agree with u. The problem is sometimes it is hidden in really long threads and hard to read when there are tons of people putting out crazy comments and or mis information.

18. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Yeah, but you HAVE to read em, because you're a mod! :p:p:p

19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

You got STERNED in the a!

[​IMG]

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If the hypothetical is Bynum, 3-way, how is the Lakes' cap situation affecting the structure of any hypothetical deal? How much can LAL take back, 125%?