1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indy offers PGs Farmar, Felton, Lowry 1 year $3.5 mil deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

for that matter he might as well accept the QO from the rockets at nearly the same salary, and you don't have to play in indiana. players earn their contracts in the playoffs. i'm sure he would rather stay here than go to the pacers.

i would bet on his agent pushing for a similar deal to the one that steve blake got. 4 years $16M.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol one year deals, with the new CBA I don't see why any player in their right mind would sign a one year deal.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Felton must be all kinds of insulted.

4. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

If Lowry does not accept any offer, can we then sign him for a long term deal? I ask because I imagine we don't want to have to worry about signing him again next summer. If Lowry remains a backup throughout the season, he'll be looking for a starting gig next summer. I'd rather lock him up for 3-4 years at a legit rate.

5. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Indiana is a broke ass franchise, they can't offer much. I expect higher offers for Lowry to come.

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

but we need to show that we love his game and appreciate his service.
    Even Rafer's contract was better than that.

We need to do the same for Scola.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

No we don't. That was Dawson's style of thinking, and look where it got us. If Lowry is only 3 million because the NBA doesn't pay attention to him, then we pay him 3 million, though in that situation I bet he would just want the QO.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Exactly, you should not over pay simply to make a guy happy, its a business, sign him at the lowest possible amount. If the rockets can retain him for 3.5, great news for them

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Good news for us.

10. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

That's not always the best way to do business.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Rafer could shoot the 3 MUCH better than Lowry can. (which is sad)

That kind of sets the cap on Lowry's value as an NBA PG to the $4mill per season range.

If he could shoot he'd be looking at huge money - but he's a career 42% from the field (39% last year) - and although he has jets, he certainly has some deficiencies to his game.

Love his tenacity, but I'm not sure I'd want him on $5mill per season (or more)

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not ALWAYS, as in, every once in a while you sweeten a deal above market value. Overpaying always seems to end up being SHORT-sighted. Cuz just 3-4 years down the line you'll have bloated payroll and salary commitments. And then you have strikes and lockouts as a result.

13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

5 year/22m - 3rd and 4th year team options

14. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I think giving him around $4m/yr is not overpaying but rather good compensation. Think about it as if you worked at a place for awhile and asked for a raise. Essentially, you are doing the same work you were doing before the raise, but you feel the extra money rewards your loyalty and makes you feel appreciated. Same in this instance. I'm not arguing that he should be given a max deal, but an adequate raise is not out of the question.

15. realmustang

realmustang Member

If he signs the Rocket's qualifying offer, he becomes unrestricted next year. If he signs that offer sheet and the Rockets match it, then he's restricted again next year.

16. Chamillionaire

i hope lowry gets more PT this year. having said that, Felton is the best of the bunch listed.