1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

indiana/houston trade idea.........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dennis2112, Jun 2, 2000.

1. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Correct but the Pacers have to decide what they are going to do with Reggie Miller ,Jalen Rose , and Mark Jackson. All 3 are free agents after this year. I do not know if they have the money to sign all 3 and Austin C.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't see Bryce Drew in their plans. They like speed at PG.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. davo

davo Contributing Member

Yes - they will have the money to sign them all. Jackson, Miller and Rose are all definitely Bird FA and as such can be signed to the max even if exceeding the cap. I'm not 100% sure about Croshere but I do think he he is full bird this year as well. If so, its just a question of whether Indiana wants him and whether he wants Indiana.

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

4. Speed

Speed Member

I am flattered that they like me at PG....

Would the Rockets do Cato for Croshere straight up?

------------------

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Zan Tabak plays for the PAcers now??

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Croshere has played 3 years with the Pacers, he should have Bird rights and they can pay him whatever they want.

"Would the Rockets do Cato for Croshere straight up?"

Interesting.

------------------
    "Yes, I came from the 80s...but I didn't kill anybody. Give me a break."

-Mike Tramp, former lead singer of White Lion

7. Speed

Speed Member

Zan has played very sparingly, if they play the Lakers in the finals, I would be shocked if he didn't get to play or use 6 fouls against Shaq. In the few instances he has played, he has defended and boarded very well and with great vigor. He is much stronger than I remember from the past. He has been a complete pro as far being a team guy, not complaining about PT, and practices hard. Also, he is the only one on the Pacers current roster that has a championship ring, as you all well know.

------------------

8. Dennis2112

He may have bird rites but there is a limit to how much they can pay him. It may not count against the cap but there is a limit and do not forget the luxury tax when a team is over the cap. After paying Miller, Rose, and Jackson the max, they may not want to screw up their cap or pay the tax with his salary if they need the money somewhere else.

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

True Dennis, but the key point is they can pay more than anyone else, including the Rockets.

Also, you said "It may not count against the cap ..."
    A small point, but Bird Contracts DO count towards the cap - it just means you can go over the cap to sign your own Bird Free Agent.

------------------

10. Dennis2112

Isn't Austin a base salary player which means the Pacers can only match or sign and trade. If the Rockets put up a good enough offer the Pacers may go for it. The point I am making is that Austin will not get the minutes in Ind that he will in Houston. I seem to remember that was the selling point to get Shandon Anderson to sign for less here. Why not use the same tactic here but in a sign and trade. Pacer's owner gets some relief from the luxury tax and infuses some youth at mulitple positions without the bad year and we get the player we want without destroying our own cap space. If they do not resign Jackson, they will need a PG. You also throw in Carlos and the 9th pick. Is Austin worth the 9th pick and some throw-ins? I would think about it, especailly if we kept Cato to patrol the middle.

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

11. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I say the Rockets go after Zan, he would be an excellent backup center, he could even push Cato for minutes in my oppinion since he is hungry to play and Cato is not.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

12. davo

davo Contributing Member

Yep - I agree with you Dennis - I was just pointing out the salary cap complexities. He is not BYC and besides, BYC has no impact on how much they can pay him/match him etc. BYC effects how much of a players salary counts in a trade.

If they were to sign him to a Bird Contract and THEN trade him, then, then the BYC issue would arise - by limiting the amount they could get in return for him.

I'm with you - Houston look like they want him, and Austin would benefit from being here. I hope we can work something.

------------------

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[QOUTE] pacers get:
    carlos rogers
    bryce drew
    4.5 mil

rockets get:

austin croshere[/QOUTE]
    Hey dont mind me Im just trying to see how you qoute someone

------------------
    Proud owner of 271 different Hakeem Olajuwon Basketball cards

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Croshere and Shandon share an agent.

Smits is also a free agent.

Croshere is Rudy's ideal player.

I think that if Bird doesn't stay on in some capacity with Indy, we'll have a decent shot at nabbing Croshere.

In sign and trades, the free agent's former team doesn't get equal value.

Indiana WOULD like Bryce Drew, as Valpo, where Drew lives, is near there, and their current backup PG, Travis Best, is more of a scorer than a passer.

The Rockets can help Indy not have to spend as much money, by forcing them to take on additional salary.

I think, its gonna be a matter of whether or not Croshere wants to come here, as his 1st choice.

Also, we wouldn't use all of the 4.5 exception.....that'd be talking about an 8 million dollar first year of his deal, with 12.5% increases, that'd get pretty high up there.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

15. Speed

Speed Member

The Pacers have no interest in Bryce Drew. No knock on him, but we currently have 3 guys who are a better point guard than him in Mark Jackson, T. Best, and Jalen Rose. Drew is a great team guy, but talent wise he is, at best, a career back up PG, which doesn't bring any value in a trade other than a throw in. If Indy's hand is forced they stil will get more than Drew from someone, just look at Lorenzen Wright last year. IMHO. On the Pacers board we get alot of... why not trade Chris Mullin and T. Best for -fill in an allstar players name here-.... It just doesn't work out that way. Not that Croshere is an allstar, but he does have value, obviously. Also, I think that the exemption, which the Pacers also have, can only be used once, but I am not sure.
    http://jonathanbender.8m.com
    http://alharrington.8m.com

------------------

16. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Speed-I wouldn't say no interest in him. Jackson is getting old, and is a free agent, Rose is a free agent, and Best brings different things to the table than Bryce. Bryce is also a Hometown Boy.

Remember, this would all likely be under the scenario that Croshere says, I'm signing with Houston. If you'd like to get some value for me, I'll sign and trade, if not, I'll sign for their exception (like Shandon did). Sign and trades can't happen without the player's consent.

------------------

17. Speed

Speed Member

Drew is a super guy locker room guy. I do agree that vs. nothing they would certainly take Bryce and he would be an ideal back up PG, if you have a dominant allstar PG, which we don't. I would hope that if they gave up Croshere, the Pacers would heavily pursue Cato. I know that Cato is inconsistent and seems to have a ton of room for improvement offensively, but big shot blockers/defensive players are hard to come by. Statistically, Croshere would give Houston much better numbers and have a big impact, but if Cato can become more intense he can be a force in the lane which is a rarity and priceless commodity.

------------------

18. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I doubt they'd give up Cato in a sign and trade, just because without him, we have no starting center if the likely happens, and Hakeem goes down.

------------------

19. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

pacers get:

carlos rogers
    bryce drew
    4.5 mil

rockets get:

austin croshere

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That doesn't help the Pacers at all. Re-signing Croshere is a far better option than that for them.

I don't know why people think Indiana wants to give up on a Bender/Harrington/Croshere frontline for years to come.

------------------
    "Yes, I came from the 80s...but I didn't kill anybody. Give me a break."

-Mike Tramp, former lead singer of White Lion