1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[India News] They Rapin' Everybody Up In Here: Swiss Tourist Gang-Raped

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Mar 16, 2013.

1. HPD

HPD Member

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

One of the commenters wrote:

[rquoter]
    How come the headline to this story hasn't been corrected? According to Hindi speakers responding to this article, the minister said that sometimes rape allegations are correct and sometimes they aren't. But the Guardian is still alleging that the minister said that rape is sometimes right - and in a headline too.[/rquoter]

3. HPD

HPD Member

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I understand rape and women's rights is a serious issue in India and that the justice system regarding sex crimes in India needs major reform.

That said, it's a country with over a billion people. Its silly to publicize and sensationalize whenever there's a rape over there- that many people living in one country. Bumping the thread because a western news outlet decided to report on an incident is not only silly- it creates a false image of the country. Substitute India with almost any other country and I gurantee it would look like this.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

When someone posts a gang rape of a Swiss tourist in India, counter post of a similar gang rape in china.

#245 Bandwagoner, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Indian minister says rapes happen 'accidentally'

New Delhi (AFP) - A minister from Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's ruling party has said rapes happen "accidentally" in the latest controversial remarks by a politician amid renewed anger over attacks against women.

Ramsevak Paikra, the home minister of central Chhattisgarh state who is responsible for law and order, said late on Saturday that rapes did not happen on purpose.

"Such incidents (rapes) do not happen deliberately. These kind of incidents happen accidentally," Paikra, of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) which also rules at the national level, told reporters.

http://news.yahoo.com/indian-minister-says-rapes-happen-accidentally-070139401.html

7. HPD

HPD Member

Accidently? Not 2 self never go to INDIA...i dont want 2b at a bar resturant eating tgen have my waiter ACCIDENTLY rape me.......effn redickulous

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

What? You mean... this doesn't happen in the states and "90% of the world", as well...?

I knew I had been terribly misinformed when a poster here claimed that these sort of "men are superior to women, and women are only here to serve (or in this case service) a man" attitudes were violently rampant in "90% of the world"... including the states.....................

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I agree. It's silly. In the USA there is a serious problem of forgetting one's own issues and casting judgement on the rest of the world just because one sees some catchy headline on the front page of their favorite entertainment news site. Right now there is an epidemic of school shootings and mass murders that happen on almost a weekly basis, yet folks here think everything is just picture perfect. I bet more than half the people dogging on countries like India and China haven't even left the USA on travel or even lived abroad for any amount of time. People seem to be taking their frustrations out on these two countries/ethnicities for some rather bizarre reasons.

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

Penis envy, I'm sure....

11. Nook

Nook Member

School shootings and "mass murders" are covered in the news and discussed constantly. India and China are not "picked on". Rather both have serious issues.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Man, you were so close.

How about the fact that we still have a serious problem with sexual assault in our own country, and live in a society where man are still quick to blame/shame the victims (look no further than this thread for evidence of that)

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I spent a couple of months in India in the 1960's and didn't get raped. Not once! Of course, I'm a guy, but so what? I did get a ticket for running a red light on my rented bicycle, though. Have things changed that much?

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The sad part is that there are probably 100 times more rape not reported.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

This was my point.

You could find an article about a gang rape in the US. Or a mass shooting in India. Or any x atrocity in y country. It doesn't matter. India has a gender equality and sexual assault problem. But it's stupid to post a new article every time there's a rape in a country that big - because statistically there's at least several a day, and because just about every other country has the same problem.

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/...npr&utm_campaign=nprnews&utm_content=06092014

18. VBG

VBG Member

As someone living in India right now, in some ways I'm happy with the media coverage. It's the only way to bring the issue to the forefront so it can be addressed and fixed. Uneducated opinions are being rightly ridiculed. It's the first step.

However, it does sadden me to see this become the first thing people associate with India. Because there simply is so much more to the country. No other country has the same mixture of history and diversity.

19. Classic

Classic Member

20. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

^ definitely some perspective.

some countries: going to a toilet outside to pee increases rape chances
    other countries: iPhone slow