1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Incredible shrinking products

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AGBee, Feb 23, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is nothing new and has been going on for decades in the construction business. A 2 x 4 isn't really 2" x 4" but is 1-1/2" x 3-1/2". What happend was that mills started selling boards after they had been dried in planed so that the lumber wasn't the actual size as advertized. This was standardized back in 1929 but the naming convention stuck. Even now though some companies still get away with selling smaller lumber below the standards.

2. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

All the major fast food places have $1 drinks on their menu. Looks like you're asking for the liter cola.

1 person likes this.
  3. droxford

droxford Member

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

THANK YOU!!!

Man, I remember when a Kudos or a Snickers bar were literally the size of a TV remote.

Also, anybody remember back when Pop Tarts took a massive hit in size?

They used to be the size of a 5x7 postcard... now they're like 3x5 index cards :(

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also it seems like most convenience stores with soda fountains have deals with 32 or 44 oz sodas for a $1. My impression is that outside of movie theatres soda prices are going down while volume is up.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

repped for a Super Troopers reference.

well played

7. Summer Song Giver

I think Burger King and McDonalds are cohorts in there double cheeseburger campaigns, let's each advertise having the larger double cheeseburger and then we can both get away with selling them as small as possible.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Soda is by far the most profitable item in a restaurant. A 20 oz soda costs the restaurant pennies and you pay $1.50 for it.

On the ice, that's the reason that Sonic has historically stuck with the soft nugget ice (and why you see more and more chains switching to it). You use way less syrup (the most expensive component in soda) when you use the nugget ice.

9. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

Hands down.....

ALL Frito Lay products and McDonald's Big Mac's.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Reminds me of this video about Cadbury Eggs (Under Spoiler because of annoying autoplay):

<embed src='http://media.noob.us/flashplayer.swf' height='440' width='530' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' flashvars='level=0&skin=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.noob.us%2Fmodieus.swf&autostart=true&dock=false&bandwidth=1559&file=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.noob.us%2Fcadburyeggsconan.flv&viral.onpause=false&viral.email_footer=Brought%20to%20you%20by%20www.noob.us&plugins=viral-2'/>

1 person likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Is it just me or have fried chicken pieces become smaller? I swear drumsticks and thighs were a lot bigger back in the day.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Ain't that the truth one day they were huge and then next the look like boxes of animl crackers without the string!

Cereal is a big one. You can't even buy a box of cereal for under $3 now and they're smaller.... :mad:

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are fat.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

[​IMG]

I think it's funny that almost everything being mentioned is unhealthy foods/drinks. Perhaps it's a good thing that these packages are getting smaller and more expensive.

15. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

but the healthy stuff is even more expensive. damned if you do...

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I buy the Wal-Mart generic brand and they're all under $3. I grew up buying the name brands, but can't tell a difference in most of the Wal-Mart generic brand. Now, some of the regional grocery store chains have some crappy generics...but I like Wal-Mart's.