1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Incident on the Train] Did I overreact?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, May 3, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

sad thing is it's NYC.

it wasnt as bad in the South when I went to Virginia, most folks didn't even bother talking to us.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So someone tries to greet you, AND GOES THROUGH THREE LANGUAGES TO DO SO, and your instinct is to punch him in the face? Methinks it isn't the other people that have the problem.

Nook likes this.
  3. Fatty FatBastard

I fully agree. It has become quite obvious who the tard was on the street. Hint: He started this thread.

4. Buck Turgidson

You are a jackass.

Nook likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's different than what you said before about people using it as a pejorative.

You could just say hello, and inform him that you speak English. If the implication of being a foreigner bugs you tell him you're American. Make him earn that gold star...

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Its kinda odd to me how hotballa has reacted to the situation. If it were me, it would have brought a smile to my face instead of rage or frustration. Methinks hotballa should stop being so uptight.

7. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Nice going hotballa. Show him how friendly most Americans are by blowing him off when he goes completely out of his way to say a simple "hello".

8. hotballa

he coulda started with English and it would have ended with that. People say hi to me in English all the time, I don't blow them off.

9. hotballa

Sorry, he neevr said hello. He said some words that he had no clue if I understood or not. if he really wanted to say hello, "hello" woulda been enough. Next time I see a black man, I'll do some clicking with my tongue and see how that works out.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Glad I know this phrase "ni hao ma" is offensive.... my son has it on this globe thing, an educational toy, along with the greetings of about ten other countries.

I'll be sure and tell all his friends since pre-school not to say it.

So much for globalization. :rolleyes:

11. Zion

Zion Member

When did this happen?

I'm a black guy living in Shanghai right now, i guess when i go back to the states and i should not attempt to use the little chinese i have learnt cause i'll be considered a racist.

How did a greeting used by over a billion people turn into a racist phrase. I swear America is becoming stupider and stupider. I wonder if the next generation can manage to turn "hello" into a racist word.

12. Zion

Zion Member

Dude you overreacted and your comparing apples and oranges.

"Ni hao ma" is a legitamate phrase, clicking your tongue randomly is not a word or phrase. That would be the same as the kid saying something like "Ching chong ching wang".

13. max14

max14 Member

I think you are a nut head and have racism problems with black people.

14. hotballa

delete

#134 hotballa, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  15. hotballa

delete

#135 hotballa, May 23, 2007
  16. hotballa

delete

#136 hotballa, May 23, 2007
  17. hotballa

What if I am Vietnamnese or something? Or what if I am 3rd or 4th generation Chinese? ni hao ma would sound like nothing but clicking of the tongue to me. Why not just stick with "hello"? Why bother going with the assumption that every Asian u see needs to be greeted in Chinese?

On the Seinfeld episode where George orders hair products from China, why do you think the studio audience laughs when the delivery boy says something in English wihtout a Chinese accent?

and u get that all from one sentence?

hey those greetings are fine, use them in the country they belong in. Is your son going up to every blonde person and saying "Guten Morgen!"? I didn't think so.

thats sily. you're in China, of course they gonna speak Chinese. You're doing as the Romans do when in Rome.

I'm in America.

#137 hotballa, May 23, 2007
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe Zion should punch any Chinese person who says Hello to him in English.

19. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

You know the dude was racist from his reaction to you.
    "You're an asian, I'm a black man, I will kick your ass".
    I would have yelled at his scrawny ass right there and taught him some manners. :eek: You think you can fight cuz you're black, and I can't cuz I'm asian? Well refer to Enter the Dragon. Mr Han took out afro puff with a slap to the face, son.

Also, all yall white folk who are saying Hotballa was too sensitive don't understand the context, the societal situation.

Asians are thought to be more timid and respectful. Hence, assholes think they can get away with **** when dealing with us. They don't expect us to put up a fight or talk back.
    I see it all the time in every day life, usually done on other people but when its me, I talk back cuz man, homie don't play that.

(unless said racist is named bubba and much bigger than me, looks like he's packing heat, or looks deranged/ homeless enough to try to bite me). In which case, it just ain't worth it and I let it go like Amare should have ... :cool:

C'mon, if I went up to a random young Mexican man in SoCal and said "hey esse, que pasa?" chances are I would get cursed at or worse. Unless I was Joe Rogan and the Mexican was Carlos Mencia.

For some reason, however, r****ds of other ethnicities think its ok to say to an asian "ni hao ma" in a fake asian accent. Maybe if enough of these mofos got planted Chuck Liddell style, we wouldn't have this problem anymore.

#139 rm365, May 23, 2007
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess the analogy would be someone coming up to me saying
    HOW-DY PARD-Nah
    just because I'm from Texas
    or
    going up North or Out West
    and everyone trying to talk to you like you Jethro from the Beverly Hill Billies

"hey, Want some Vittles!!!"
    or trying to speak realy Slow or something

At 1st it is a little cute. . . after a while it is irratating
    after a long with . . it is just plain aggrevating

I think he might be a bit sensative to it .. because he been through it so much

Rocket River