1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In your opinion, who deserves the starting PF spot opening night?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Oct 1, 2007.

?

Who should start against the Lakers?

1. Luis Scola

219 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. Chuck Hayes

77 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. szman86

szman86 Contributing Member

LANDRY!

Boiler Up!

2. Dei

Dei Member

No. You're overly generalizing what I said.

I'm suggesting Scola should be the backup PF since he can be the player to carry the scoring in the post when Yao sits. I'm not saying that Scola will be playing exclusively with Mutombo or whoever, but that whenever Yao sits, he should be on the floor; and to do that effectively, he should be backup PF.

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I don't believe Hayes is Yao's best fit! That's just ridiculous! It means that we always use 4 players against 5 players for offense. That is one reason why we lost to Utah!

Actually, I think, if Yao could not play well with a good PF like Scola, it would be a tragedy for him. It means that Yao would never win a ring!

Yao is my favoriate player. But, I think Yao cannot always expect other players to adjust for him. He also needs to adjust himself to other players.

4. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

I keep forgetting about that guy. I think my brain has entered "I'll believe it when I see it" mode with Bonzi. I was just starting to get him back on my brain's roster when he goes down for training camp.

frakin' bonz...

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

If only hayes was a little bit taller/ or scola would only rebound like hayes a little bit more. But Scola does have more experience and certainly a more stable option right now (hayes is way too undersized)

6. Hemotivo

Hemotivo Member

Scola!!!!!! :)

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Hayes has much more NBA experience than Scola, infinetly more. ;)

Poor guard shooting was more problematic than Hayes offensively IMO. Hayes isn't a high production, or even average production offensive player, but he isn't inefficient. You leave him open around the basket and he will score, you leave him wide open outside and he will cut to the rim and hit the glass. He won't beat anyone man on man, but nor can he be completely ignored.

Now you leave our guards open, with the exception of 1 trick poney Head, and at best we had a mediocre shot, most often a poor shot if any of the guards (Head including) were not on their best spots. Good defenses don't allow players to beat them on their hot spots.

I definetly think Scola will play more than Hayes. My hope is about 28-30 minutes from Scola, 18-20 for Hayes. Right now I just think it would be better is Hayes logged most of those minutes in the 1st and 3rd quarters and Scola came in once both teams got a little weary, the way the Suns use Barbosa and the Spurs use Manu.

Now maybe Scola will just be so good and little trouble adapting to NBA power forward defense night in a night out, if we are so lucky I am glad to have him start and play him upwards of 35 minutes. I think that is far too rosey of a scenario to expect.

8. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I would assume Scola is expected to start just because they believed he was worth paying twice as much than they gave Hayes. Besides that, his shooting and passing should be enough to win him the starting job in preseason. Whether he can stay in the game long enough to not foul out we have Hayes to come in and shore up the positino.

I actually believe Hayes will improve his ppg average under Adelman becasue of all the cutting they do to the basket. That is pretty much how Hayes made most of his points under JVG. Hayes just limits the abillity of the offense to stretch out the defenses as well as I think Scola can give to the team.

I think we will now pretty soon, though!

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

First, I think it's the 1st year for Hayes to play in NBA last year. I don't think he has MUCH MORE experience than Scola. In fact, Scola has MUCH MORE experince in big games than Hayes.

Second, poor guard shooting was one reason why we lost last playoff. But PF offense is also an important reason. I remember, after playoff, Yao and Tmac both addressed PF probelm.

Finally, I think Scola should and will start for Rockets. Yesterday, Tmac said that he believe Scola will fit with Yao well in his interview. In addition, we have many players can be good as the 6th man, shch as SF3, MJ, and Bonzi.

10. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

In today's training camp, RA was surprised by Hayes's and Scola's ability to pass. He pointed out how both players can play effectively in his system... any thoughts?

11. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

it's hayes to lose until scola proves he can take it from him.

12. Dei

Dei Member

Chuck was actually with the Rockets as early as the 05 offseason, but didn't make the roster. He was signed due to the excessive number of injuries and, with his performance (outplaying Stromile Swift on nearly every game he played), was eventually kept by the Rox.

Scola's experience is with the Euro league, which is different from the NBA in a lot of ways. He can use his experience in a different league, sure, but he's gotta learn the NBA just like any other rookie.

I have no doubt Scola's the better player, and I am optimistic that he gets more minutes than Chuck (Desert Scar's minutes sound right); but I would, personally, not put him in the starting lineup so that when Yao sits, Scola will still be relatively fresh to compliment, offensively, whoever C is playing (which will probably be Mutombo; who is offensively limited).

13. HAKEEM4EVER

HAKEEM4EVER Member

I'm going to go with Scola getting the starting position, not just opening night but for the rest of the season. Chuck Hayes was great for us last year. He was a very good hustle player, and rebounder. It is going to be a plus having him come off the bench instead of Howard.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Rookie... don't type in red.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

There are many good perimeter players for Rockets. When Yao sits, coach will give them more chance. In fact, Manu and Barbosa are both perimeter players.

In addition, last season VGD always kept one of Yao and Tmac in the court, and they are both starter. Even Scola will play when Yao sits, it is not necessary for him to come off bench. Since Scola is the better player, he should be the starting PF.

BTW, I don't think Mutombo will play many minutes this season since he is offensively limited.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Scola simply is on a different level than Hayes in so many ways - and I'm a big Hayes fan. Scola has the size and skill to really be a strong player at the 4 in addition to the fact that he fits Adelman's vision.

Chuck probably overachieves and outworks anyone on the team, but he is always going to be held back by his height and non-existent jumper. He's a niche guy, period. Perfect for the bench and in certain matchups.

The only real x-factor in this debate is whether Scola has difficulty adjusting to NBA whistles and finds himself in foul trouble early and often. That's a real possibility.

My speculation for the season:
    Scola: 28 mpg, 12 ppg, 8 rpg
    Hayes: 17 mpg, 8 ppg, 7 rpg

...with Scola playing a few minutes per game at center in smallball lineups.

Evan

17. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I'm going with Hayes. We need Scola's scoring ability when Yao goes to the bench. With Yao spending some time in the high post, this gives Hayes room for cutting and actually doing something offensively. However, whenever Yao is on the bench, Scola has to be playing. If Mutumbo and Chuck are on the floor at once, it would essentially be 3 on 5.

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

No brainer.

The only reason why we should not see Scola on the floor is when he is tired. His game can fit to any combo there. He is fast and strong.

Any type of offense he will fit.

19. Trip

Trip Member

If Scola's play against the States in the FIBAs qualifiers is any indication, he most likely won't last three minutes into the first quarter before Kobe gets him in foul trouble. He's just too rough for the NBA style of play.

He is a much better talent than Hayes though, so I'd want him to be starting midway through the season. Hayes works hard but his shortcomings on offense are going to be glaring in Adelman's offense.

20. superhu

superhu Member

I don't think Adelman is gonna start him that early. Scola still needs sometime to fit into NBA. It's like the rookie season of Yao Ming, he wasn't the starting C at the first several games too.