1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In your opinion, who deserves the starting PF spot opening night?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Oct 1, 2007.

?

Who should start against the Lakers?

1. Luis Scola

219 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. Chuck Hayes

77 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. Dei

Dei Member

Chuck's performance doesn't really take a hit whether he starts or not. Problem is that he'll be playing with Mutombo. They're both offensively inept.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

will he? I thought it was interesting that one of the things that Adelman mentioned in his talk about the flexibility of this team was that instead of a center he could put two forwards on the floor.

That sounds like he isn't set on the idea of a traditional lineup all the time.

3. HipHopSince1981

unless Scola has a horrible training camp, horrendous preseason..I dont seem him not being the starting pf..and as said above.. the way Hayes plays, it doesn't matter if he starts or comes off the bench. Personally, I'd love to see Chuck off the bench and out hustle the 2nd unit of teams

4. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

we can talk about this after training camp...

5. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

they haven't even played together yet. today is the first day. some of you sure do rush things.

6. deshen

deshen Member

not doubt, this should be Chuck. Scola suit better to coach's system, but he hasn't played a single game in NBA yet. Need some time before he starts.

7. kingkow

kingkow Member

its going to be battier

8. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Yes Scola would have to loose the job for Chuck to still be starting. Chuck has his good points he's a max effort player but the thing is he's going against Scola who also gives max effort and has many tools that Chuck doesn't have. Scola has a low post game, he is a good passer, and he can hit a jump shot. If you put Chuck into the FIBA's would he be able to carry a team like Scola did. I know the comparision is unfair but Scola is just a more polished player all he lacks is NBA experience and that's about to change.

9. zong

zong Member

Just start my guy! :)

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Actually Chuck did play in the FIBA "world" in the Pan Am games in 2003, and he did pretty much carry the team. Of course he was much younger than Scola this year and the team didn't have the same amount of success.

http://www.usabasketball.com/history/mpag_2003.html

Emeka Okafor scored .8 points more than Chuck a game, but Hayes also led the team in rebounding.

I just think in this instance its going to be who matches up best with who on the floor. We all know that Scola has more weapons than Chuck so it will be all about team dynamics.

11. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

Just think about it.

We brought Scola in to finally get Chuck out of the starting line up.

Chuck is nice and everything, but I have doubts whether he actually should be a rotation player.

Seriously, he is an energy guy like a Ronny Turiaf, but not even as good as him.

Chuck should not play more than 10 mpg.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Resigning Chuck Hayes was the most underrated move of the offseason. His +/- numbers speak for themselves and he's a guy who brings it on every play, every night. He shut down Okur all series and Boozer the 2 or 3 plays he was guarding him. What might have become of our playoff run had JVG switched him onto Boozer for longer periods we can only imagine.

This reactionary garbage some of you are spewing about Chuck not being a rotation player is just fall-out from the total collapse against Utah. The problem with Chuck is that it's an exercise in diminishing returns. He's tremendously effective, but at a limit. If he's by far and away your best power forward (which he was last year in comparison to the largely inept Howard), you have problems. But if you can keep him at 10-15 mpg (he played 23mpg last year and was the starter), you will be ok.

Some of you have some very unrealistic expectations of Scola and are setting yourselves up for huge disappointment. He will run into foul trouble as he adjusts to the NBA game and for that reason alone, I would start Chuck (who himself struggles with dumb fouls) to begin the season and save Scola's passing skills for late in the game. The goal should be for Luis to break the starting lineup by midseason, something our last notable power forward acquisition (Slowmile) was unable to ever do.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do you assume that coaches sub in all the bench players at the same time? That's rarely done. It is more likely that Hayes would come in for Scola with Yao still on the court. Then when Yao sits, Scola would come back in to play with whoever the backup center is.

Coaches like to have at least one scoring option at the front line and at least one at the perimeter at all time. This makes a lot more sense then having a so-called "second unit" coming in.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree nearly 100%. No matter his shooting, passing and finishing skills, until Scola proves he is at least average in defense and rebounding for a starting NBA PF, Hayes should start.

Overall I am quite confident Scola will play more total minutes than Hayes, after all Howard did and I am sure he is at least on par with Howard, but Hayes might be the right guy to start given protection of Yao is so important.

So I say Chuck is the starter until Scola proves he can hold his own night in and night out on the defensive side versus NBA style mucho quick and powerfull PFs.

15. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

hes been waiting 5 years to set a foot in an nba court. i think hes due. not to mention his overall talent.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good post. Being in off-season wild optimism mode, I'm hoping Scola surprises everyone and starts from the get-go, but I think you were more realistic. If Scola is starting by the break, the chances are that we're in better than decent shape at the 4 spot. That would be a vast improvement. Hayes is a great energy guy to have come off the bench.

17. drankcity

drankcity Member

correct me if i am wrong but didnt leslie alexander say that scola would be a 30 minute player. i dont think chuck minds who's the starter.

18. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

Scola's gonna' start. He's simply a better player.

Having "Ball Magnet" Hayes coming off of the bench is going to be sweet. This is the first year in a while where I am not apprehensive about the 4 or 1 guard spot. We finally have some quality starters for those positions with nice guys coming off of the bench. Depth at the 5.

The part that is confusing for me is who will be the starting SG. T-mac at 2? Francis? James?

I'm glad Snyder is still around 'cause we might be a little small otherwise... The guy could play some defense if his brain starts firing.

19. Barkley

Barkley Member

I think Rick will decide how much Scola will play and it also depends on his form. But I;m sure our startin' PF is Luis Scola

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And Bonzi! The depth is rediculous. What a change, assuming Bonzi plays like he can. Heck, what a change if Bonzi wasn't here! :cool: