1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In the Stillness of the vacuum right now a Q: Would You Do a Trade for This Guy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jscmedia, Jul 6, 2012.

1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

If there has been a similar thread then shut 'er down.

Dirk Nowitzki - Dallas is now in complete turmoil, (sound familar?). I doubt they would trade him within the division, but since summer league doesn't start for a while and we need another power forward, (sic), kick the can a little.

Your thoughts.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Nope. He's 34.

bring along the young guys.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would, but I'm biased.

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Why? If Dallas was going to trade him it would be because they don't think they can rebuild back to a championship level while he's still playing. Do you think the Rockets can rebuild around him? Otherwise, you are just wasting time, picks and players.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

6. BIGHchamp

BIGHchamp Member

he has a no trade clause. end thread

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I know this is a hypothetical thread but lets put at least some reality in it. How in the world would you trade for Dwight AND have enough left to trade for Dirk?

8. dragonz

dragonz Member

sure , trade for him and make him play behind motiejuna sounds good

teach that old punk a lesson

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Dallas trades Dirk it will be to a contender. If the Rockets somehow aquire Dwight, I think there is a chance at making a run at Dirk if he agrees to go, but knowing how tight knit Cuban and Dirk are, I just dont see them moving him unless its Dirk wanting out.

From everything I hear, they still feel like they have two more years left of Dirk to try and get another star player to play with him his last few years. They are going to give it one or two more years.

That being said like I mentioned, If the Rockets aquire Dwight, I think Dirk is definitely an option to make a call to Cuban to see if there is interest.

Still, Cuban probably wouldn't make the move out of spite.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Very difficult to imagine Cuban agreeing to trade Dirk to Houston, in his division.

11. shastarocket

For all their history, Nash just went to the Lakers...the only trade partner more ridiculous would have been the Spurs. of course the corollary to that is the fact that Nash has been in trade rumors forever, hasn't won and doesn't have a Dirk-Cuban relationship.

As for this movement actually being possible, I don't know. Did we get trade exceptions in the Dalembert, Budinger and Lowry trades? Nash was flipped for Odom's 9 mill trade exception.

12. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was the first thing that popped into my head, the second being Nitwitski's age. I just don't see it happening, OP, although I don't doubt that Cuban would like to snag some of our "assets."

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

At the top of his list would be Royce White that's for sure.

I don't know exacly how this would work but I wouldn't mind Dwight/Dirk combo.

To me his age is a non-factor, he does not rely on athleticism to play his game the way Wade, Amare, and those sorts of player do. Unless you're worried about him encountering injuries, which he's managed to avoid in Dallas, I wouldn't put much on his age.

About 60% of the time he'll be playing from outside the paint if he and Howard were to team up. Maybe more.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I live in Dallas and it was being talked about on the radio how Dirk is already showing his age. The Mavs had to sit him for a couple of weeks in the middle of the season so he could do a minny personal training camp to try and get himself in shape because he was having so much difficulty early own.

Dirk is a future HOF, a fierce competitor and still has some terrific years left. But you don't rebuild with a 34 year old player. Dirk needs to go to a situation where they have a shot at winning now. If we somehow got Dwight, then Dirk would be a perfect power forward next to him.

Dream was all that Dirk was and more but after the second championship he was just not the same. Even though Dream was still putting up terrific numbers anyone that watched the games could see he was just not the same Dream. He was not going to put the team on his back at 35 and will the Rockets into anymore championships. You do not rebuild with old players.

Trading away our young talent for Dirk would be a monumental mistake unless there were another move to go along with it designed to make us instant contenders.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That's false. This past season was a perfect example. Did you know during the first half of the season Dirk was not playing well so the Mavs gave him some time off to go through a personal training camp to try and get himself in shape?

Dirk is a jump shooter, when the legs go so does the shot.

17. shastarocket

Agree with you 100%

Still dreaming here, but a trade for Dwight, FOLLOWED BY a trade for Dirk would be awesome. Besides instant contender status, we would have a legit shot at keeping D12 beyond this season; isn't that worth the risk alone?

Is it really that much of a stretch to see Jlin orchestrating pick and rolls/pick and pops with D12 and Dirk?

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Exactly, you don't think that banging down low throughout their championship run with the likes of LeBron, Bosh, Haslem, and co. down low didn't take a toll on him?

That's why he would benefit from having a kick out center like Dwight relieving some of that responsibility.

He also had to do a lot more defending bigger guys with the departure of Tyson, that may have had to do some with his off season numbers and constant fatigue. We all know Dirk is still far from a banger such as Dwight.

19. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Mark Cuban is like Dirk's Father. This would never happen. And he's too old.

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I would be down, BUT ONLY IF WE DON'T GIVE UP ANY PF's.

I just want to see if we can assemble a team of 15 power forwards. History in the making!