1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In the absence of news, I'm throwing out a theory...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I like the idea of Romo IF the deal is team friendly - i.e, incentive laden.
    I have seen that some pundits say that if you get Romo, you HAVE to still draft a rookie - but I say why?
    Reason being Romo can just as easily mentor Savage as Savage has not had a top tier QB to sit behind and learn from and we simply have to see if Savage is worth keeping as this is his last year on his rookie deal. But here's the rub on that deal - how do you assess Savage if he doesn't start?
    I think you have to give Romo a two year deal so that if Texans ditch Savage after 2017 season, you draft a rookie in 2018 and let him sit behind Romo for a year and let him start in 2019 - ready or not. Otherwise how do they learn without actual gameday experience?
    So, why would it not be worth a 5th this year to trade for Romo? (You would not have to "waste" a pick on a rookie this year.)
    That leaves you Romo as starter, Savage as backup and Weedon as third stringer.
    Not too shabby - considering what else can we do with what is currently on offer?
    High risk, high reward potential.

#61 Wattafan, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Here is a reason to trade for Romo...

Texans could be in line for 2 or 3 compensatory picks after losing Bouye, Simon, and Demps. Their play will determine what round the picks will be. However, if we sign Romo as a free agent we may not get compensatory picks and if we do get picks they will be of lesser value. Maybe it is worth throwing a 5th or 6th rounder at the Cowboys if we think Bouye will play well enough to get us a 3rd round compensatory pick.

I don't see the Texans signing anyone else that would take away from our compensatory picks. They can't spend money. They have to pay Hopkins and then Clowney. I think we should franchise tag Clowney when the time comes because of his injury history.

3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Don't think he would count since he would have been cut. Players that are cut do not factor into the comp pick determination from my understanding.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I brought this up in the other thread, and was assured that this is false and no matter how we acquire Romo it has no impact on our compensatory picks.

5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

http://overthecap.com/draft/

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Fullcourt likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If a player is cut from their contract they are not considered an "unrestricted" free agent, they are considered a "street" free agent and do not count to the compensatory pick calculation.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Here's my "theory."

Jerry knows that Romo is going to join the Texans and is pissed, not because he is going to come here, but because he believes the Texans are colluding with Romo. He thinks they negotiated through back channels and the Texans already know Romo will come here. Because of this he is "protesting" by doing this.

8. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

NFL free agency is a "dirty business" and Jerry "knows his rights".

RedNation, Richie_Rich and justtxyank like this.
  9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

If the Texans had a different HC and offensive scheme, I would prefer going after Culter than Romo. He's younger and healthier. Cutler is largely pretty accurate with the ball, you just can't put a lot on him in the huddle or at the line. Due to this teams HC and scheme, I don't think he would succeed here. You need a more cerebral QB that's accurate than a strong armed guy that's typically okay. I wouldn't mind Cutler in Kubiak/Shanahan ran offense.

10. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The main difference is leadership AND competitive fire..... Cutler is probably the worst leader in sports and Romo is a solid leader. Aside from that, decision making is lacking for both but Romo is definitely better than Cutler in a lot OF OTHER WAYS which the Texans desperately need. They need to suck it up and give the cowboys a lousy 6th round pick or something to go all in for the next couple of years while they develop a drafted QB.... The time to gamble is NOW and injuries are completely unpredictable....

11. conquistador#11

i thought eric gordon was going to break on his flight over to houston and he's had a surprisingly healthy season.
    knocking on all wooden surfaces.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Kubiak was only successful with the most cerebral QB of all-time though, along with an elite defense.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well when Kubiak actually won the SB though Peyton wasn't even the best QB on the roster. The Broncos won despite Peyton being hot garbage....and Kubiak and Peyton didn't really get along because of how much their styles clashed. Peyton wanted to do things his way, Kubiak wanted to do things the way he always did them and they were completely opposite things. Eventually Peyton Manning gave in and did things Kubiak's way for the most part after he was benched for Osweiler (which saved the season BTW) and that concession is how he got the starting job back.

Those who wanted the Texans to take him should probably consider the fact that the only way it turned out well was due to a super dominant run game and Peyton being so washed up he had to give in and do things Kubiak's way.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I hope so man....romo would be ****ing awsome!!!!! for what it's worth, I live in Dallas, and EVERYONE on the radio says Houston is more likely than Denver.