1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[In Retrospect] Which event in the past 20 years has set its respective team back the most?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, Jul 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The Boston tank for Duncan "surprise" is a little silly because they were still underdogs vs. the field. Cleveland wasn't winning any championships if LBJ had stayed. That's why he left.

Shaq leaving Orlando is the only case where his team would have been in the top 2 or 3 teams in the league if he stayed.

The Oden injury hurt Portland but the guy was always overrated. At his best, he was a slower Dwight Howard with twice the foul rate.

2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

28. I don't take it the wrong way.

I understand the implications of tanking. But, even if their intent is to land a franchise changing player, your team has to be either really bad in the first place or have star players out in order to even consider tanking (Spurs). So, I would have to really look at the Boston team that tanked and how they did it. But, typically you're not the only team to tank and a team shouldn't risk their next 10 years on a 25% chance of landing a player.

I have only started following basketball since '93, so, I am not stating this as a matter of fact, but more or just raising the question/making the argument. Admittedly, I wouldn't try to argue it too hard since I really didn't get into the deeper details of basketball about 10 years ago. Thanks

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

None taken. I understand what you and others said but if you had a 25% chance to get a Tim Duncan (know what we know of him and how long he's been able to play in very good form), did everything you can to secure that 25% (including tanking), and not get him? That killed the Celtics franchise for a good decade.

On the flip side, if Boston would have landed Duncan what would have happened to the Spurs franchise? That's why that one event (Boston not winning the lottery for Duncan) to me is really important: it changed the course of two franchises and sent a rippling effect throughout the NBA.

/Bill Simmons Impersonation

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trading Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley and Cato for TMac and Flotsam

Rocket River
    . . . yes I am Serious

5. steddinotayto

If I think you're saying what you're saying then yes I agree. Mobley/Francis/Yao didn't have a chance to show what they could have really done together.

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

That would make sense. I guess I was making the argument that it didn't set the team backwards, since they really didn't seem to lose any players of significance to tank or weren't a playoff team to begin with. You are making the argument that they would've had a totally different team with Duncan, so the opportunity cost was great and changed the franchise. But, I don't know if I would say it set them backwards.

Although, if they would've drafted Duncan, they still wouldn't have been instant contenders and they would have never drafted Paul Pierce, who is quite the player himself. If you replace Duncan with Pierce, does that team win against the Lakers or other teams that were competing at that time? Whereas, with San Antonio, they were already a top team who had Robinson out for the full season. So, losing out on Duncan might've cost San Antonio all of their rings, by that stance.

Either way, I don't think it set Boston backwards, and if so, not the most.

7. steddinotayto

Great argument and I intimated some of that in the other post about how I don't know if Boston would have gotten their hands on Pierce if Duncan was on the team. Be that as it may, however, a team led by Pierce and Antoine Walker got to the Conference Finals in 2002 and lost to the NJ Nets. I think even if it were just Duncan and Walker plus role players the Celtics could have gotten to at least one Finals during that time when the Eastern Conference sucked balls.

1 person likes this.
  8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Celtics tanking for Duncan; maybe also Denver not getting Lebron and getting Melo instead or Len Bias dying.

9. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

And the Rockets hire ...

[​IMG]

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well IMHO the most franchise-breaking event in the last few years has got to be Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. A team featuring Brandon Roy, LMA and KD would have been champions easily.

If we're talking about the worst moves ever though IMHO NYC has to take the cake. It wasn't just one move but everything from Starbury to Eddy Curry to head case Z. Randolph and recently signing Amare and Melo to the super max...yeah, that team is horrible.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nobody mentioned "basketball reasons" yet?

We still don't know how many years Stern set the Lakers back by not letting them have Chris Paul.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Interesting to refer to not drafting Carmelo as a setback rather than good fortune.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Blazers - Passing up - K. Durant & taking G. Oden

Side note:

30 Yrs ago - Blazers - Pass up M. Jordan & take Sam Bowie

Would suck being a Blazers fan. More bad luck than bad picks, IMO.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At the time
    You had the Best young Backcourt in the league
    They had the Best Up and Coming Center
    You had a servicible PF in Kelvin Cato [he was not a GREAT anything but next to Yao he was servicable because on offense you did not ask much from him and on defense he was strong enough to make it work]
    You had The Veteran Jim Jackson helping to guide the team

You had FIRE
    You had HEART
    And they team was learning and coming together
    Went into the Lakers home Court and Took the game to them.
    I was SO EXCITED after that season.

We went with Mr. Pure Talent . . .No Heart . . .
    Won more regular season games. . but nothing else

Rocket River
    Operation shutdown

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1. Considering Len Bias death put a foreseeable halt to an aging Celtics powerhouse, during the 90s to the early 2000s...it's something that lead to an NBA crackdown on illicit drug use, which effected alot of players from the late 80s to early 90s.

Reggie Lewis... died on July 27, 1993 ... 21 years ... sorry for being off by one year.

2. It took New Orleans another twenty years to attract a team.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Jazz

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Selling Kyle Korver for a new copy machine

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This is true. Although the two championships before helped blunt the pain

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

20 years from now we will all be saying that the Lakers Dynasty ended forever with the death of Jerry Buss.

19. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Thought this was a joke. Looked it up. Lol'd.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not arguing with your analysis, it's very good.

But I've noticed that really good teams will be more set back by a bad decision than a really bad team.

It will cost a god team a championship. It will cost a bad team, well, not much really.