1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[In Retrospect] Which event in the past 20 years has set its respective team back the most?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, Jul 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

no way mang, Roy's injury history was documented before he was drafted, I think teams knew the risks of drafting him

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My vote goes to the Pacers brawl.

3. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Not to mention the deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis. The Celtics were just snake bitten for a decade in the draft.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I would say the Malice at the Palace not only set back the Pacers for about 7-8 years, but it also completely changed the way the NBA was perceived by fans. That was a MAJOR black eye on the league for a long, long time and a lot of the policies and rule changes that we've seen since then have been motivated by that one incident.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the Bucks trading Kareem to the Lakers in '75.

#65 basso, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

James Naismith going peach basket as opposed to an apple one.

7. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Vancouver being awarded a expansion franchise. During there tenure in Vancouver the Grizz where at or near the bottom and didn't become relevant until they moved to Memphis. Even then, it took them quite a few years until they won there first playoff series.

8. SunsRocketsfan

dont forget horry causing the suns bench to clear against the spurs which resulted in half the suns getting suspended.

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

He did say in the past 20 years.

I think Oden over Durant was one of the bigger ones but Portland wasn't set back too fat since they did get Lillard eventually.

10. BinBinRingRing

Death of Jerry Buss

11. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Cuban dismantling a championship team for shot at Dwight and Deron.
    Baskeball decisions: Set the Lakers back indefinitely.
    The Kings not renewing Adelman. Replaced with countless head coaches and no playoff appearance since.
    Grant Hill's ankle.

12. SuraGotMadHops

I think with Melo, Pistons at least win the Finals they lost to S.A. in 7.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's a difference between bad short-term moves and getting set back 20 years.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So far we have:

Malice at the Palace (2004-2005)
    Record of Previous Season: 61-21 lost in ECF
    Aftermath: 5 consecutive years of sub-.500 records from 2006-2007 to 2010-2011
    Theoretical Years of Setback: 9 years, until 2013 when the team got back to the ECF
    Theoretical championships it cost: 1 That 2004-2005 team would have given the Pistons (below) one hell of a battle and would have been a tough draw for the eventual champion Spurs

Darko over Melo (2003 NBA Draft)
    Record of Previous Season: 50-32 lost in ECF
    Aftermath: 1 championship but 3 consecutive ECF knockouts from 2006 to 2008
    Theoretical Years of Setback: 8 and counting, 2009 onward with sub-.500 records
    Theoretical championships it cost: 2. That 2005-2006 team that went 64-18 shouldn't have lost to Dwyane Wade and I don't think Wade would have stood a chance with Carmelo on that Detroit roster. 2006-2007 would bring another great storyline with LeBron v. Melo in the ECF. LeBron went bonkers in that series but I still think Melo would have made enough of a difference to beat Cleveland. I think the 2007-2008 team would have lost to the Big 3 in Boston.

Oden over Durant (2007 NBA Draft)
    Record of Previous Season: 32-50
    Aftermath: 3 consecutive 1st Round exits (2009-2011); followed by 2 years of sub-.500 records
    Theoretical Years of Setback: 8 years
    Theoretical championships it cost: 1...maybe. 2008-2009 when they lost to the Rockets in the 1st Round was probably the BEST chance they would have gotten with Roy, Durant, Batum and Aldridge as that was the last year Roy played more than 70 games. Kevin Durant wasn't coming into Durantula just yet but that would have been a great team to watch. Of course who knows if Portland would have made the necessary moves to get that Nets pick who turn out to be Lillard.

Shaq leaving Orlando (1996)
    Record of Previous Season: 60-22 lost in ECF
    Aftermath: 1st Round exits in 5 of the next 7 seasons after Shaq left; went past the 1st Round only 3 times in the past 18 years; 7 years of missing playoffs
    Theoretical Years of Setback: 4 years; I can't blame Shaq for the Magic's failures once they got Tracy McGrady and a broken down Grant Hill. Once that happened I think that starts another case of unfortunate events. And then it starts another cycle with Dwight.
    Theoretical championships it cost: Maybe 1? By the time McGrady signed as a free agent the Lakers were already throwing championship parades. Highly doubtful that they could have won more as those first few years in a Lakers uniform signified a truly dominant Shaq.

Cavaliers losing LeBron (2010)
    Record of Previous Season: 61-21 lost in the semis
    Aftermath: Haven't made it back to the playoffs since
    Theoretical Years of Setback: 4? He's back so it's not as bad as long as the Cavs go deep into the playoffs
    Theoretical championships it cost: 0. The front office was and is still inept and they didn't have enough pieces to play alongside LeBron to make them a legit contender. Of course this is the belief that Chris Bosh still goes to Miami instead of heading to Cleveland that same summer.

Celtics losing out on Tim Duncan (1997)
    Record of Previous Season: 15-67
    Aftermath: 4 straight seasons of sub-.500 records
    Theoretical Years of Setback: I'd say 11 years, from 1997 to 2008, since they won it all that season. It's hard to say if they would have still drafted Paul Pierce given that Duncan would have gotten them a better record (therefore, lower pick) which probably wouldn't have gotten them Pierce but man...Pierce and Duncan would have been devastating, Antoine Walker's shimmy notwithstanding
    Theoretical Championships it cost: I'd say 1 to keep it low considering we don't know if Pierce would have been there with Duncan.

James Dolan taking over the Knicks (1999)

Record of Previous Season: 27-23 (lockout season; lost in Finals)
    Aftermath: Only made it past the 1st round in the past 14 seasons; 11 out of 14 seasons with sub-.500 records; dozens of overpriced players;
    Theoretical Years of Setback: 14 and counting
    Theoretical Championships it cost: IMO, 0. They've had poor management from top to bottom all these years and still can't surround their lone franchise player with great help because said management gives out horrible contracts.

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I could see the argument for KG traded to Boston or T. Donaghy calling the Kings' series.

But, it's hard to call the Lebron one setting the team back. Sure, they become exponentially worse, but they actually spent less time getting back into "contender" than most teams that tank because Lebron came back.

Also, Boston losing Tim Duncan is a hard one to sell, simply because being the worst team only gives you a 25% chance of landing the #1 pick anyways. Also, how does losing out on Tim Duncan set a team that went 15-67 back? Isn't being 15-67 (even if you're tanking -- which, would then be a series of events) setting your team back? Unless if you're doing it Hinkie style (stacking up on young talent or draft picks).

16. steddinotayto

Don't take this the wrong way but how old are you? I ask that with the utmost respect because both Boston and San Antonio were tanking beyond belief for Tim Duncan when Boston went 15-67. Rick Pitino, the GM, gambled on tanking so that Rick Pitino, the coach, can get his hands on Tim Duncan, a plan that Rick Pitino, the President, agreed to.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"Theoretical Championships it cost"

A team will have more cost championships if they make mostly good decisions surrounding the bad one.

18. Sirton

Sirton Contributing Member

Sam Bowie

19. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Just for Houston:
    Drug suspensions of Wiggins and Level followed by the injury to Sampson
    Trade of Cassell and Horry for Barkley
    Yao injures foot during Rockets streak starts string of Yao/McGrady injuries
    Trading Morris, Douglas, Patterson away killing the Rockets momentum and effectively killing the Rockets bench and losing the stretch 4's we've been looking for ever since
    Not trading Parsons for Rondo like any saine person wouldve done..."Do you want Raj..Yes please"

20. steddinotayto

You know what I mean but duly noted. :grin: